Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

My parents are THOSE grandparents

2»

Re: My parents are THOSE grandparents

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_parents-those-grandparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:553978c5-22d0-4cee-ba24-1d6a26732cb0Post:5a2bc840-fc01-465e-a9d9-1922383e49bc">Re: My parents are THOSE grandparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, exactly.  I'm not sure what agreement my parents had with my grandparents, but they never bought us exorbitant things (comparatively speaking).  I think you need to respect the parents and how they want to raise their children.  And that might mean lowering the budget for all of the grandchildren or choosing different gifts.
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

My father's father gave us cool big gifts..

My mom's parents did not give us presents. They just could not afford to with 24 grandkids.  But what she did was save up her money all year and took only the grandkids and their spouses out to brunch between xmas and new years.  The older grandkids took care of us younger ones. .  All of us wih grandma (grandpa didn't want to come).   The parents (and grandpa) went to brunch themselves somewhere else and then we all met up at our house for a party.  I miss that...

I never thought one set of grandparents gave a better gift than the other.  They were great in their own way.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Lynda, did we grow up in the same family?

Dads parents spoiled the only two grand kids (me and sis), Moms Parents ad 22 grandkids.  G'Pa took the grandkids to the circus every year, and G'ma took the grandkids to see the Nutcraker Suite every year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    TIn Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_parents-those-grandparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:553978c5-22d0-4cee-ba24-1d6a26732cb0Post:0cbb82e6-e518-47ae-9947-797d03f00b64">Re: My parents are THOSE grandparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lynda, did we grow up in the same family? Dads parents spoiled the only two grand kids (me and sis), Moms Parents ad 22 grandkids.  G'Pa took the grandkids to the circus every year, and G'ma took the grandkids to see the Nutcraker Suite every year.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

That is so cool.  You must have had so much fun.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Sil is always complaining about the amount of unwanted toys her daughter Z gets. Christmas and birthdays are insane for a 3 year old. She's gotten to the point where she has 2 full rooms with wall to wall shelves of toys that other people have gotten her. Whenever sil tries to get rid of some the gift givers get upset because "it was a present from them".
    Dh was a huge part of this problem until Sil and I were talking one night and she mentioned it. Now I run christmas gifts by her and only get the ones she wants  Z to get. I think this year it will be the new Crayola melting crayon thing.
  • Options
    Katie, I know it's late and you may not check this, but my grandparents started giving my brother and I a $25 savings bond every year for Christmas. By the time I graduated high school, I had enough bonds that it paid for my senior trip to NYC. Just a thought?
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    And the drama continues...

Brother is now okay with his 11 year old having the Itouch... cool right?

Nope, he demands his 10 year old to have the same gift.  So last year the 10 year old could not have the gift, but this year the 11 and 10 year should have it.   My parents already bought the  10 year old other gifts thinking it was an age thing.. It's a mess now.

I really hate my brother now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards