Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Anyone here?...

How is everyone tonight.  I

just got off work.. We had to take all the managers out on the boat.  DH is a manager so he came and was drinking from 7pm until 9:30, then went to the bar to wait for me.  So basically he is drunk and I'm sober, but drinking a beer.  It's my friday so I wanted a drink.. is that bad?

Anyway.. what is new?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Anyone here?...

• Options
    I'm here. Today is really slow for the board. It's been a bad day for me. I've been sick all day. Then I get a call from my father telling me my grandma is in the hospital whom lives in Kentucky. So it's not a good day at all. Hoping I am feeling better tomorrow and that my grandma is out of the hospital soon.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm here, sending off a ginormous file to one of the other TAs for my class, which will probably take about an hour to send, so I can't go to bed or shut down my computer until it goes.

Otherwise, life is okay. I managed to get through my first day post-FI-weekend without too many major crack-ups. Oh, and I had lunch with one of my really good friends, and she is madly in love with her new boyfriend and it's pretty obvious he feels the same way, so I keep thinking about them and giggling and then feeling wistful about what it was like to fall in love with FI.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Im sorry play.  Why is grandma in the hospital?

There is something going around work right now.. I'm really hoping I do not catch anything. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I paged you a couple days ago. I'm just going to repost here :)

We're going to be stopping at St. Thomas on our honeymoon cruise. I've been there and wasn't really impressed. Just lots of high end shopping that we can't afford. I've read really great things about the beaches/snorkeling on St. John. I've found a ferry that will take us from one island to another. Are you familiar with their dependability? I'm worried about getting stuck and not making it back to the ship. Can you give me any advice?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Yea i guess there is something going on around here too. FI's nephew didn't feel well in the few hours we had him today. He slept and that's very odd..

From what I was told, my grandpa took her in for a check up on her knees and whenever they checked her out they found something in her chest that they didn't like and wanted to keep her for a few days.
    Back in Sept. She had 4 heart attacks back to back, at home, on the way to hospital and 2 in the hospital. She's a very strong and lucky lady. I don't know what I'd do without her I can't even think of it being bad. My dad said it's nothing to worry about. But of course it is if she's in the hospital.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm here somewhat. I've peeked in a couple of times today but for the most part I've not been on.

How are you?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:96d0cba0-bd0a-45a8-971b-d10c6f6e8f34">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I paged you a couple days ago. I'm just going to repost here :) We're going to be stopping at St. Thomas on our honeymoon cruise. I've been there and wasn't really impressed. Just lots of high end shopping that we can't afford. I've read really great things about the beaches/snorkeling on St. John. I've found a ferry that will take us from one island to another. Are you familiar with their dependability? I'm worried about getting stuck and not making it back to the ship. Can you give me any advice?
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I actually did reply but is was later.  I was working early 12 hours shifts and went to bed early and then my DSL went down..

Anyway, you have 2 choices.  

(1)  The downtown ferry (close to the ships)..  About 45 min ride (can be rough sometimes), I forget the cost and the I do not know the times, but it's every 2 hours or so.

(2) The Red Hook ferry.  It's about 20-25 mins from the ships and a 20-25 min ferry ride.  They run every hour on the top of the hour and it costs $6 or so.   This is the one I use the most because I live only minutes from the ferry dock.

• Options
    So they are fairly reliable? Like actually run on schedule? And do you have a favorite beach on St John?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Ok, i went back and looked at your response, thanks! Are cabs metered or do you negotiate? Any idea how much a cab would be from the port to the Red Hook?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:ae0b2f7c-3aaf-4b80-b2b2-3c22ec1f7add">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So they are fairly reliable? Like actually run on schedule? And do you have a favorite beach on St John?

The Red hook one is reliable (for 2.5 years I rode it everyday for work).   I so rarely took the town one to know, but they are run by the same people as the Red Hook one I can't see how it would not be.  Although a few years ago their schedule was not very convenient.

I like Caneel, Hawksnest and Cinnamon.  Trunk is overrated to me.. but it has bathrooms, snack bar, etc.. So it is pretty popular.

• Options
    Any opinion on Honeymoon and Soloman bay? I read that there was pretty good snorkeling there?
  • Options
    I'm here for a bit.  It's my Saturday :-)

Was trying to finish the last of the std's, but the sticker cartridge ran out, so now I'm waiting until tomorrow to get another one.  Cracked open a bottle of Grey Goose that I picked up Saturday night along with a bottle of rum to get through an unpleasant weekend.  Reseaching sports bras.  Thrilling night indeed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:f13a1eec-86ec-4827-8d4c-b3e6a073d597">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, i went back and looked at your response, thanks! Are cabs metered or do you negotiate? Any idea how much a cab would be from the port to the Red Hook?

Neither... They are per person from point A to point B. 

What ship are you on?   There are 2 docks.. I might be able to tell which dock you would go to.. Anyway the  Havensite dock should cost you about $10 each... not sure about Crown Bay, it might be the same or a little higher.

• Options
    It will be the Carnival Dream.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:49d1646d-daa1-48f8-9cb2-1ea0364c1ea3">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any opinion on Honeymoon and Soloman bay? I read that there was pretty good snorkeling there?

I like both very much... You can either hike to them from town (20 minutes or so).. Or you can take a taxi to Caneel bay and go from there (about 5 minutes)..  Or you can hike from town to honeymoon then walk over to Caneel bay for lunch and/or take a taxi back to town....   You can go to Hurricane Alley to rent gear if you need gear.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:af65273c-aae2-41e7-a3ed-b60994ee068e">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It will be the Carnival Dream.

Okay.. Carnival is always at the Havensite dock.

Plenty of taxis to get you to Red Hook.. Actually I would do the Red Hook one instead of the town one because getting from Havensite to town can take almost as long as going across the island to Red Hook.

• Options
    Hmm. We would probably walk there from town and then take a taxi back. I think I'm the most excited about this stop. It definitly sounds the most relaxing.
  • Options
    Ok, we'll do that then. I'm most terrified about not having enough time for everything/getting caught in traffic. But we're there for like 9 hours, so it really shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:fd8886c3-e839-4e67-bdf4-27b151b14316">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, we'll do that then. I'm most terrified about not having enough time for everything/getting caught in traffic. But we're there for like 9 hours, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

What time do you need to be on the ship?

• Options
    We're there from 10-8. I'd want to be back near the ship by 6:30-7:00
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-here-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:555c9e21-c27f-45d5-b13c-c1dd2c9c9830Post:9b12b629-d998-4bed-87c7-8897b3e8ee42">Re: Anyone here?...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're there from 10-8. I'd want to be back near the ship by 6:30-7:00

8 ?... you will be fine.  If you said 5, then you could have some issues.  The 3 and 4 ferries can be full because of workers coming back home from St John, add in 'rush' hour and well it could take longer.  

The 6pm Red Hook ferry will be smooth sailing and  traffic back to the ship will be fine.. All of the traffic will be going the other direction.

FYI - the sunsets early here, so you might be heading back to the ship even before then, or just hanging out at a bar.

• Options
    Hmm, so we could leave the beach around 4, try to catch the 5 ferry and a cab and be back to the ship around 6. Any good bars by port?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards