Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Kirsten Dunst-the Moron:

Like, ZOMG, where is the Neiman Marcus around these parts? Apparently those of us who don't live on either coast are poor.  News to me.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/dunst-allure-20091811

Re: Kirsten Dunst-the Moron:

• Options
    Well she's right.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Small midwest towns ARE so different from NYC and LA. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think she's confusing "coastal" with "rural".

And even that would not be entirely correct, although I would say it's generally true that the bigger the city, the more wealth I see (there are economically depressed cities of course, too).

There's poverty everywhere though...
  • Options
    Obviously but different does not equal poor.
  • Options
    Personally I see a big difference between "omg so poor" and "living simply".  Too bad, I used to like her a lot.
  • Options
    Meh, I like kirsten dunst. I think theres truth in what she said. I also dont see WHY it is necessary to always ask celebrities if theyre friends with their exes, you dont go around asking normal people that.
  • Options
    Yeah, she's completely right. I don't think she mentioned anything about anything fancy. There's a huge difference between Kentucky and New York or L.A. I don't see how this makes her an idiot at all. I mean, she's been acting since she was a little girl. It's not her fault that she's grown up in this affluent life style. Good for her for actually getting out of her comfort zone and recognizing that not everyone has it as good as her.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    I didn't find the article that bad.  Mid-American is very different than the coasts.  

Even on this board you will notice that people like me (east coast) does not think $100 per head is a ridicously expense.  Yet someone in middle American has a heart attach at $20 a head.

It's all what you are use to.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think her heart was probably in the right place when she said it. But I don't think it's possible for anyone living in the hollywood bubble for as long as she has to really understand what average Americans experience.
  • Options
    Also, perhaps her delusional perception of what is normal in Hollywood has clouded her ability to see the intelligence of living within your means.  That most definitely does not equal poor.

Another thing, in big cities where there are more wealthy people, that is often where you find some of the largest populations of poverty-stricken people, as well. 
  • Options
    Eh, I just think you guys are reading too much into it.  I went to Memphis and Graceland recently and small rural towns you drive through in some areas ARE poor. Or at least would look really poor to someone who's lived their whole lives in NY and LA.  I don't take that personally.  So she's secluded in her big city lifestyle.  It doesn't mean you can't like her anymore. 
  • Options
    I dont think she meant poor as in destitute, I think she just meant lower income brackets and less extravagance.
  • Options
    You're right Kate. Did you know that DC has a higher median income than any of the 50 states (except maybe Connecticut) and it also has a higher poverty rate than any state except for MIssissippi? Insane.
  • Options
    I live just outside of Seattle and even up here is completely different from LA. The best part is just western Washington vs. eastern Washington. You go from booming big cities to small farm towns with nothing for almost 100 miles by just going over a mountain pass.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2009
    AC, that is exactly what was on my mind when I replied. 

I just think she could have worded it a lot better.  If it was supposed to come off as such a humbling experience it should have been written differently.  It is worth noting, however, that the source should be considered.  I don't think Us is exactly the epitome of journalistic integrity.
  • Options

The bells and whistles of the big coastal cities tend to over shadow the poor people of those areas.

While in some rural areas it's more 'in your face' the lack of bells and whistle, giving the impression there is more poverty  When that is not the case.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    She didnt write it though, for all we know that was just a portion of what she actually said but that is all that was included in the article. She probably said those things quickly in a conversational style and didnt plan it out before she spoke.
  • Options
    Ditto Nebb.

Editing something in order to get reaction is an odd trick to sell maganizes.

• Options
    Its actually quite nice to go visit family over there because its so much quieter. They also have some beautiful old architecture that we don't have over here.

I'm not saying the eastern half of the state is poorer. The majority of the people who live on the east side are farmers while the majority of the people who live on the west side are in other lines of work. Believe me that there are just as many maybe even more poor people on the west side as the east side.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    I haven't read the article yet (going now), but as someone who lives in one these "poor" towns, it's insulting.

I choose to live in a town that has a gas station, post office, and exactly 1 bar/restaurant. Does that mean I'm poor? Nope. Less well off than people in the city I moved from? Nope.

Obviously there's a difference between us and a midwestern city, and a vast difference between us and say NY or LA. Different does not equal poor.

Off to read the article...
  • Options
    Good point, Nebb.  I realize usmagazine.com isn't exactly the best news source I could have used, but decent news outlets aren't talking about Kirsten Dunst either.  And it doesn't change my opinion of her-she's a good actress; however, she consistently says things that are meant to be deep and enlightened but come off as out-of-touch and weird.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kirsten-dunst-moron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:55a27fc9-6ded-4ab2-9841-556e96a42bf1Post:fb20dafb-b2d2-486f-819a-ecc929bf8776">Re: Kirsten Dunst-the Moron:</a>:
    [QUOTE]she's a good actress; however, she consistently says things that are meant to be deep and enlightened but come off as out-of-touch and weird.
    Posted by vicmo5[/QUOTE]

This is definitely what I wanted to say but even better.
  • Options
    she consistently says things that are meant to be deep and enlightened but come off as out-of-touch and weird.

Probably because she's out of touch and weird.  Undecided
  • Options
    Heh im pretty sure if she had of said that she does keep in touch with jake, the headline next week would be about jake calling kirsten in the middle of the night because reese is awful blablabla.
  • Options
    Nebb, another article implied that Reese Witherspoon was trying to keep them from talking to eachother.  They broke up like five years ago.  Why does the media insist on revisiting their relationship over and over?
  • Options
    I love how Jen and Angelina are still apparently fueding. Seriously? After how long? They need new material.
  • Options
    No kidding.  Either Angelina and Jennifer are feuding or Angelina and Brad are going to break up or Angelina and Brad are going to have their 87th baby.  Give it a rest.
  • Options
    Or angelina is obsessed with being skinny, or jenn sucks at relationships, or brad wants out, or shiloh wants another sister (how they know that I dont know, but ive seen them do it).
  • Options
    Eh, I think she might have misspoke or was quoted badly. I'm with Dani. The coasts are different than the mid-west. And rural poverty is quite different than urban poverty. I've lived in rural and urban areas. But for a girl who's only lived in LA and NY, doing her first cross-country trip and seeing tiny impoverished towns of 300 residents for MILES on end is probably eye-opening.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My parents drove to Florida one year.  They live in a small farming town in Saskatchewan and they were shocked by the apparent poverty in SOME areas. 

And, is Graceland not in Mississippi?  One of the states with the highest poverty rates?  So it is quite likely she saw a LOT of poverty.

Now, take that as a separate statement from "the coasts are so different from the rest of the country," which is also a true statement, and there's nothing to be offended about.

Take an editor trying to create news and voila...

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards