Wedding Etiquette Forum

Newbie Observation

124»

Re: Newbie Observation

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:937b760d-dbf5-4a09-a105-2708e271eafb">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]No I would not walk into a room, But if a lady VENTS and people tell her to stop being a "bad friend" or "person" than yes I will stick up for her. Especially when we ALL have had THOSE moments. Some people use blunt honesty as an excuse to be just plain mean and rude! You have every right to be mean to make yourself feel better but don't get mad if someone says that's BS. <strong>And yes, my 2 cents is that on an etiquette board I was surprised. </strong>Don't change who you are, don't even listen to me. But that is my opinion. My opinion has not changed only the mannor I choose to express it. <strong>Etiquette is being graceful in actions and words! I'm not etiquette and I thought this was the place to learn it.</strong> Maybe not.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

<div>I thought you were moving on about 2 pages ago?  </div><div>
    </div><div>Bubba already corrected you on the definition.  But clearly you have the idea of this board wrong.  We are not a group of ladies sitting around wearing white gloves sipping tea and giving out lessons on life etiquette as we practice perfect etiquette ourselves.  It's not the Life Etiquette board, it's the Wedding Etiquette board.  We give advice related to wedding etiquette.  That doesn't mean we have to display proper etiquette in our answers, and if we want to be completely blunt and straight forward in our answers, we will.  If you want to learn about wedding etiquette, you're in the right place.  Life etiquette board is around the corner.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • WE ARE... ETIQUETTE.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:6f468f6f-8c54-4353-a43f-7c7f6b6f7e80">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newbie Observation : Not quite. et·i·quette /ˈetikit/ Noun: The customary code of <strong>polite behavior</strong> in society or among members of a particular profession or group. Besides, I thought you were moving on.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

POLITE BEHAVIOR! Exactly! thank you for posting the definition.

I agree - I had the wrong idea about this board by the heading. I just thought some people would be interested in knowing a new person's observation but I see no one cares and if you challenge this board than you will get shot down.

Good to know.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Just to be clear, "I'm not etiquette" makes no sense. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • OMG Emily you don't know how long I've been holding on to that one, waiting for just the right post!. :P
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:45c4a55e-4544-40a2-b96e-002c5b62d509">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newbie Observation : POLITE BEHAVIOR! Exactly! thank you for posting the definition. I agree - I had the wrong idea about this board by the heading. I just thought some people would be interested in knowing a new person's observation but I see no one cares and if you challenge this board than you will get shot down. Good to know.

<div>Nope.  And you're not by any means the first "new person" who thought this same thing.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Challenge this board all you want.  But take it up with the specific posters in specific threads.  Starting a new thread just to lump everyone into a mass generalization is not going to go over well.  You don't like how someone responds or treats someone in a thread, say it in that thread.  Respond to the OP how you want.  Don't try and teach grown women how to act.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited May 2011
    Funny how you are still here too, continuing to argue Cfaszews25.

This is my OP, what is your excuse sweetie?

In regards to making a general statement to everyone, the ladies who are overly harsh know who they are. And the people who are most offended by my post need to ignore me just like they are telling me to ignore the "honesty"
  • I believe her "excuse" would be that she didn't ever say she was done with this topic. Unlike a certain OP.
  • Also, pet peeve: women calling other women by "sweet" nicknames when insulting them. Ugh, it's like a bad high school movie that makes the name caller come across as a patronizing bitch. Honey.
  • adamar15adamar15 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Oh geez, let's not start the "sweetie" crap. 

ETA: Emily beat me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    This is the thread that doesn't end ...
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:83b21da6-511c-454a-b791-96b1cf2a0fe7">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funny how you are still here too, continuing to argue Cfaszews25. This is my OP, what is your excuse sweetie?

<div>Just because it's your OP doesn't mean you have to stick around until the thread is dead.  Especially when you've dramatically stated multiple times that you were moving on and done with the topic.  </div><div>
    </div><div>You know, I was starting to think you redeemed yourself when you reposted your OP and stated you were wrong.  Now you just keep digging yourself deeper. </div><div>
    </div><div>Why don't you do yourself a favor and run along for real this time.  Sweetie.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:83b21da6-511c-454a-b791-96b1cf2a0fe7">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funny how you are still here too, continuing to argue Cfaszews25. This is my OP, what is your excuse sweetie?

psssst. OP means original poster.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:de373cb7-9bee-4546-aa67-f3d8d2da16f4">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG, Ghoti.. where do you even FIND a picture like that?
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]
    :D You like? I heart google. <div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>and "it just goes on and on my friend..."</div>
  • The tread ended and I stopped.  Someone asked a question and I answered.

The question was about me walking into a room and telling everyone what to do.

I don't see it that way. I see it as sticking up for someone that had innocent intentions but was flamed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:d6e6790f-f5a5-456d-a559-dbfd635b53a9">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]The tread ended and I stopped.  Someone asked a question and I answered. The question was about me walking into a room and telling everyone what to do. I don't see it that way. I see it as sticking up for someone that had innocent intentions but was flamed.

<div>So next time, stick up for her in the thread, whiich some people already did.  BTW, we don't give out badges or stickers here for, so if that's what you're waiting for, you'll be waiting a long time.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    I like cheese.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:b7943867-31dd-48cc-8168-15980da6966e">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newbie Observation : <strong>So next time, stick up for her in the thread,</strong> whiich some people already did.  BTW, we don't give out badges or stickers here for, so if that's what you're waiting for, you'll be waiting a long time.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Understood.
  • Hi Carla.

Normally, I'd be one of the first in a thread like this with a not so nice comment for you.  But, I was running late today - was shopping for books, what can I say?

I get what your instinct was when you posted this.  To be honest, waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first came here, I had the same immediate thought.  OMG!  How awful!

Then, I stuck around for a bit and I watched.  And I learned.  And I understood.  The first thing that I understood was that my first instinct would've gotten me thrown on a spit and roasted. 

The second thing I learned was a lot of the people I thought were awful and mean, really weren't.  They were frustrated with the same questions being asked again and again, complete with all sorts of justification why it was different for whoever was asking the question.  They were smart.  They were funny.  They were generally awesome people.  And for the most part, the people have changed, but I don't think those qualities have.

I firmly believe that before you post anything ANYWHERE, you should be aware of your audience.  And you should know when to stop.

I'll be honest, my wedding wasn't perfect etiquette-ly.  I broke rules.  But I broke those rules knowing that I was and knowing that it was acceptable in my circle.  I asked opinions here and accepted them graciously, not arguing with people about whether or not the etiquette in question was correct. 

I think arguing with people gets you in the biggest trouble around here.  LOL

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • edited May 2011
    Well said Wadingmoose!
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_newbie-observation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56fb124c-73ec-403a-8e75-bea031e41752Post:dcfaa073-09d8-4860-8c90-afb743b415ec">Re: Newbie Observation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Carla. Normally, I'd be one of the first in a thread like this with a not so nice comment for you.  But, I was running late today - was shopping for books, what can I say? I get what your instinct was when you posted this.  To be honest, waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first came here, I had the same immediate thought.  OMG!  How awful! Then, I stuck around for a bit and I watched.  And I learned.  And I understood.  The first thing that I understood was that my first instinct would've gotten me thrown on a spit and roasted.  The second thing I learned was a lot of the people I thought were awful and mean, really weren't.  They were frustrated with the same questions being asked again and again, complete with all sorts of justification why it was different for whoever was asking the question.  They were smart.  They were funny.  They were generally awesome people.  And for the most part, the people have changed, but I don't think those qualities have. I firmly believe that before you post anything ANYWHERE, you should be aware of your audience.  And you should know when to stop. I'll be honest, my wedding wasn't perfect etiquette-ly.  I broke rules.  But I broke those rules knowing that I was and knowing that it was acceptable in my circle.  I asked opinions here and accepted them graciously, not arguing with people about whether or not the etiquette in question was correct.  I think arguing with people gets you in the biggest trouble around here.  LOL
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

Where is the "like" button?

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_diy_cake-pie-jar-cupcake-bouquets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:33Discussion:00b6c99a-1094-4a09-a7d5-6cab1997ef0bPost:8aefdbd6-596f-422f-a8a0-18ddce00ff84">Re: Cake or Pie in a jar or cupcake displays? How about cupcake bouquets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, wow...I have 20 painted clay pots with no idea what to put in them and I'll have 150 cupcakes with no place to set them up...PERFECT!
    Posted by lindaloulubbock[/QUOTE]
    Perfect! GL!
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    I'm late to this but I assume you're talking about the post I made to JRKJPF.

I usually keep my snarky comments to myself but her post really annoyed me. I thought she was being overly judgmental and dramatic, so I said something.

She could be a very nice woman IRL but all I know is what she posts and that's what I reply to. It's nothing personal.
  • Everytime I see this post, I get that Police song stuck in my head.

You know, the one that goes, "Dah doo doo doo, Dah dah dah dah, is all I want to say to you." Because - let's be honest. That's what we're all hearing here.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards