Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Formal picture of all wedding guests?

Would it be uncouth to request that guests stay 5-10 minutes after the ceremony to pose for a formal picture with the bride and groom through an optional request in the program?  FI and I thought it would be really nice to have a posed picture on an outdoor hill with our 200 guests, since they are obviously all close family and friends, and we realized that we've never seen this done at prior weddings.  We're planning to make the request at the end of our programs, and have our photographer organize the picture immediately after our receiving line so they may continue on to the cocktail hour.  Thoughts?

Re: Formal picture of all wedding guests?

• Options
    edited February 2010

I've done this at multiple weddings I've been to (both in the bridal party and as a guest). 

Personally I wouldn't do it, but mostly because it's not my style. As a guest, I've never felt put out by it, but I certainly have thought it was rather cheesy. 

It's really easy to gather guests- at the end of your ceremony, just get your celebrant/officiant to let them know that you'll be doing a group photo and can they go over to x place for it. 

Here's the result of said pictures... Let's play I spy thesun! :P It seems to be rather popular to do some variant of this shot here.

• Options
    I've seen this done at two weddings are we're hoping to do it at ours too.  Here's our general plan.  As soon as the bridal party exits, start a receiving line at the door, we'll have between 80-100 guests.  As people are leaving and saying congrats and whatnot, simply ask them to stay around for a picture.  Meanwhile, since it's a summer wedding, I'm hiring a lemonade truck to come and give everyone lemonade, so hopefully they won't all rush off.  I think for the picture, I'll ask photographer to take it from inside the church, so he is above us, and everyone is standing below his vantage point.  Our ceremony is from 4:30-5, it takes 10 minutes to drive to the reception, so we'll have 50 minutes to hang around, take photos, have a quick chat with as many guests as possible, drink some lemonade and then head off to the reception.  Haven't banged out all the details yet, but I think it's definitely possible...
  • Options
    sun- I want to play! But they are too small :(
  • Options
    ooh in the second one are you a bm?
  • Options
    I dunno, it might be hard to pull off with 200 people.  Your recieving line is going to be a bit long, and the people that went through it first might get bored just waiting around for the rest of the guests to get through it.

It might work if you nix the recieving line and do table visits, and just be extra vigilant to get to everyone.  That way as everyone gets out of the church, you try and organize the picture and get everyone on their way to the cocktail hour.

Either way, wrangling 200 people for a picture is going to be interesting.  That may be why you haven't seen it done previously.  The pictures I see on google images are generally of smaller groups, maybe 50 or so it looks.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_formal-picture-of-wedding-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:572cec77-22a5-44c8-8040-482971279ecfPost:54cedab6-a51e-4d58-b022-f3f3db27dc09">Re: Formal picture of all wedding guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ooh in the second one are you a bm?
    <p>Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>Very good Roxy! :P haha.</p>
  • Options
    Good point, maybe we'll forgo the receiving line and do table visits at the reception instead. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_formal-picture-of-wedding-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:572cec77-22a5-44c8-8040-482971279ecfPost:621076a5-3a25-497d-985e-fab328d3645d">Re: Formal picture of all wedding guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dunno, it might be hard to pull off with 200 people.  Your recieving line is going to be a bit long, and the people that went through it first might get bored just waiting around for the rest of the guests to get through it. It might work if you nix the recieving line and do table visits, and just be extra vigilant to get to everyone.  That way as everyone gets out of the church, you try and organize the picture and get everyone on their way to the cocktail hour. Either way, wrangling 200 people for a picture is going to be interesting.  That may be why you haven't seen it done previously.  The pictures I see on google images are generally of smaller groups, maybe 50 or so it looks.
    <p>Posted by mocha beans[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>I think Mocha's right that you do have a larger group than I've seen it done with- you can't expect full co-operation (but then, you can't expect that even with a small group!), but the people who are interested in being involved will be. </p>
  • Options
    woohoo! Are oyu a bm in number 3 as well? If not, do you have sunglasses on?
  • Options
    Thesun, thanks for the examples!  Good to know how they would turn out.....I'm surprised you've experienced it so many times and we never have....I wonder if it's a regional thing. 
  • Options

It probably is a regional thing. I live in Australia and it's pretty standard wedding photog practice here... 

and haha Roxy I'd have to look at the full size image as I'm not sure if I can even spot myself in that one! lol. I probably was wearing sunnies, though. 

In the first one, I'm in a green dress at the back left. 

• Options
    I did it once at a wedding last may in SF
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh my gosh Roxy, I believe you did spot me (with sunnies- not a BM) in the third one. I can't even spot me with certainty, but I think I know which one you're talking about and I believe that is me, haha. 
  • Options
    Haha middle- back left? If so..I'm kind of creeped out by myself.
  • Options
    haha yes, I think so! Have you been stalking me?! :P
  • Options
    Well...occassionaly I fly to Australia just to see what you're up to hahaa
    Theres just very few faces you can actually make out so I guessed what I could
  • Options

Here's another wedding I did it in, this time in the UK;

Now I think about it, aside from my own wedding and one other, I think this has been done at every wedding I have been to.

• Options
    That one is teeny tiny. My only guess would be you're on the far right.
  • Options

Are you sure you're not deliberately guessing the wrong person just to throw me off your stalker trail? 

Actually, I'm in the far left, but you can't really see me- just my H- as my head is sort of over the shoulder of the girl next to me.

Where's yours? I feel like we're playing where's wally (or as you US folk say, where's waldo) or something!

• Options
    Sorry, got distracted by Lost. No, on that one it was too hard to see haha. Sadly, I have no copy of the one I'm in :(
  • Options
    I've never seen it done but it looks fun.
    If you do this, skip the receiving line.  Take the picture immediately after the ceremony, send your guests on to start the CH and then join them later after your pics are done.  Do table visits during dinner which is the same (and actually more comfortable for the guests anyway) than the receiving line.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    We had a shot of all of the wedding guests at my daughter's wedding this past October.

They had 172 guests.  They didn't have a receiving line at the Chapel. We had a note in the program to please remain for a photo after the bubble exit from the Chapel.  It was extremely easy.   .See PIP:

• Options
    I attended a wedding where they did that. As a guest it was fun. They asked us to all gather for the picture right after the outdoor ceremony. I'm guessing there were 100-150 people. It didn't take very long. There was no receiving line. 

My dad's family always used to do that at weddings and other events with just his side of the family. It's great now to look at those pictures and see everyone in the family from that time.
  • Options
    I'm in australia too and both the weddings where this happened where in Australia.
  • Options
    Receiving line with 400 guests sounds like AN AMAZING idea!!!! WOW why didn't i think of that?
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards