Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below

Since it's slow and that Jaitalians girl made me mad....

What are the stupid stereotypes about YOUR state are totally untrue?

a. I'm NOOOOOTTTTTT Italian!!!
b. I'm definitely feeding my vendors because I'm not a cheap bebe.
c. I do not have a poof.
d. My town has trees and grass... everything does not look like Newark in my state!

Please share what most people think about when they hear your state... which ones are true and which ones are not?

Re: Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below

• Options
    Even if we are Italian, we are not all gross guidos like the Jersey Shore characters!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:3723f9e0-1c29-4da3-a790-7ffa12ac90a2">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a southern drawl
    I don't know my cousins like that
    I wear shoes
    I did not grow up on a farm Posted by LesaBear[/QUOTE]

This!  Plus, I know nothing about horses or horse racing (although I do enjoy the Derby!) and I hate bourbon!
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    This!! 
  • Options
    I don't own a yacht, belong to a country club, live in a 10,000 sq ft house, and am not a legacy at any ivy league university
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ....and you know you're from Jersey if you can properly navigate a jug-handle.

(I'm waiting for someone to ask me what a jug-handle is)
    image182 invited
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:8f6912da-1375-4306-b83e-84bf9913d5e4">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]I grew up in Oakland: - Not all of us are Raiders or 49ers fans - Not everyone is of color (a lot of people out of state are shocked to meet a white girl from Oakland) - Many of us haven't had a violent crime committed against us - There are many parts of the city that are extremely integrated - A lot of people love living here because of the great diversity (race, socio-economic, religious, sexual orientation, etc) and are proud to call it home
    Posted by katiepoppy[/QUOTE]

Katie, I visited my sister at Berkeley twice, and I thought Oakland was pretty darn cool.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:39b76f66-ca80-492f-8d8b-71d420cc785c">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]....and you know you're from Jersey if you can properly navigate a jug-handle. (I'm waiting for someone to ask me what a jug-handle is)
    Posted by mscutieri[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll ask - jug handle??
  • Options
    I do not gamble every day, I do not party on the strip every weekend.  Believe it or not, there is an entire city outside of the strip, and yes, people really do live here!  I only go to the strip if I have to, maybe a few times a year.

I grew up in CA, and I do not know how to surf!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:95c8c9dc-0c3a-41f4-a7a9-97871a60b6ed">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below : Ok, I'll ask - jug handle??
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, i didn't think anyone would REALLY ask.

There are a lot of intersections in Jersey in which you are not allowed to make a left (it is just too dangerous).  Instead, you bear to the right onto a turnoff/exit that then brings you around so that you then cross over the street you were just on, i.e. an indirect left turn.  It's called a jug-handle because the curve of the turnoff that you take is shaped like the handle of a jug.  It's kind of crazy driving here in Jersey....
    image182 invited
  • Options
    I have lived in NYC since college and I find some of the assumptions about NYC quite funny.

We do not look down on outsiders. The majority of people in my area were not native to NYC.  We just wound up here because of our careers.

To outsiders, we have a eleventy billion dollars a year.  Fact. There is very little middle class here.  Those who stay, like me, have rent stablized apartments that enable them to send their kids to private school. Unless you live in PS 6.  Best public school in the city short the special schools for arts and sciences.

We eat at home probably 5 nights out of six.  The Four Seasons is too expensive when you're shelling out $40 grand a year per kid for education.

I travel mostly by bus but only because I'm a WTC survivor and I have no intention of letting them get me underground.  They miissed  the first time.

People think that celebrities hang around all the time.  I've run into several and hadn't a clue as to who they were.  They look just like us.  No, there's no gold star on their foreheads to warn us of their elite status.

I could go on but it's time for bed.

• Options
    I'm from Southern NJ..... some stereotypes and misconceptions are amusing....other's aren't

1. No one I knows acts like anyone on that freakin' show NJ Shore.....
    2. South jersey is very very different from North Jersey
    3. Yes I am Italian and no I am not connected to the mafia (and if I was would I really answer that stupid question truthfully?)
    4. Yes we own farm land in NJ......no it doesn't smell like a sewer
    5.  We have awesome beaches
    6. I do not wear bumpits or have huge hair
    7. I do not wear huge gold jewelry
    8. I am not orange from fake tanning.....
  • Options
    What Shelly said...I'm originally from IL, and get so tired of people asking me if my hometown  is near Chicago
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:a9a1285b-4c98-4689-a323-f6e40423029c">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. I dont pahk my cah in the havahd yahd. 2. I could care less about the sox, patriots, etc. 3. I dont like Sam Adams beer. 4.  I dont make a ridiculous amount of money just because the cost of living is higher. 5.  I dont have clambakes on the cape. 6.  Im not a liberal
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

1.You can't pahk your cah in Havarhd yahd or you will get a ticket..
    2. We can drive contrary to popular believe
    3. Cheers is not a real place they only used the outside of the bar.
    4. Plymouth Rock is just a big boulder, don't waste your time..
    5. Also not everyone from Ma has the accent,  it is very pronounced it the city area ( I have the accent and am very proud of it)
  • Options
    There are Jug Handles in Ma and a ton or roatarys
  • Options

I almost never see a cowboy hat

Most people I know are open-minded and well educated

We do not ride horses(haha though it would be so awesome if we did!)

I'm not a conservative....(or a liberal for that matter)

I do not <3 George Bush (as a Pres anyway)

We do not have Tumbleweeds

Not everyone owns a gun

I do not have some thick Southern drawl

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:77118872-c282-401c-b610-915282e07657">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below : Katie, I visited my sister at Berkeley twice, and I thought Oakland was pretty darn cool.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think so too! The people in the immediate surrounding areas tend to think Oakland is pretty cool, but outside of that a lot of people only hear about the crimes that occur here and are, quite frankly, scared to visit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm from Delaware.

I'm not even sure there are stereotypes about people from DE.  Until Biden became VP I think most people forgot it was even a state.    Or the only thing they know is a lot of credit card payments are sent to an address in DE and a lot of boats are registered there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    1.  LIving in CT doesn't mean that DH and I will live in a million $ house.  In fact - we wonder who all those people are who can afford to move into his hometown.

2.  Not everyone here is rich.

3. We definitely drive better than our friends from MA, RI or NY.  :-)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:39b76f66-ca80-492f-8d8b-71d420cc785c">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]....and you know you're from Jersey if you can properly navigate a jug-handle. (I'm waiting for someone to ask me what a jug-handle is)
    Posted by mscutieri[/QUOTE]

I hate those things! A few years ago a bunch of friends took a road trip to NJ... I drove with my FI and one other friend, and we got lost EVERY single time we went anywhere that wasn't immediately around where we were staying. The beach was much nicer than I expected though :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:fa9610e6-cfa3-4320-9a24-2670d15dceac">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]I almost never see a cowboy hat Most people I know are open-minded and well educated We do not ride horses(haha though it would be so awesome if we did!) I'm not a conservative....(or a liberal for that matter) I do not <3 George Bush (as a Pres anyway) We do not have Tumbleweeds Not everyone owns a gun I do not have some thick Southern drawl
    Posted by kimberlyann1974@rocketmail.com[/QUOTE]

But there is an oil rig in your back yard, right?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Haha yeah the beaches are surprising!  Road trip to Jersey, huh?  Bored much???  hahah JK!
  • Options
    I am originally from Minnesota so I ditto what the PP said.  Not all of us grew up on farms!

About Michigan/Detroit:
    1.  Just becuase you are from Michigan, does not mean you are from Detroit.
    2.  Not all of us are unemployed.
    3.  Detroit is not the dangerous/scary place that people think it is.
    4.  We don't all work for an auto-company/drive an American car.
  • Options
    I was born in West Virginia.  No, my parents are not brother and sister.

I grew up in New England (Massachusetts and Maine).  No, I'm not a total snob.

After college I lived in New Jersey.  No, I'm not Italian.  I've also never been in a bar fight, poofed my hair, or fake tanned.

I now live in Colorado.  No, not everyone here is either a skiier or a cowboy.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_re-feeding-vendors-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:59d59bb5-9d14-4a5c-ba6d-4851aa97a3f3Post:3168f332-a70d-4295-9c38-f0ea96876d52">Re: Feeding Vendors Post Below</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  LIving in CT doesn't mean that DH and I will live in a million $ house.  In fact - we wonder who all those people are who can afford to move into his hometown. 2.  Not everyone here is rich. 3. <u><strong>We definitely drive better than our friends from MA, RI or NY.  :-)
    </strong></u>Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Is that a challenge, lol.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I don't think PB&J is a delicacy.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards