Wedding Etiquette Forum

Family Faux Pas- I'm mad FOR my bro!!

An awkward family situation is upsetting me!!

My older brother is not really my brother.  He's actually my cousin, and my parents legally adopted him years ago when his dad (my uncle) passed away.  His mom met someone new and moved out of state, and he was already living with us and wanted to stay in school here, so that explains that.

Flash forward a few years- his mom decided to marry this other guy, and they have a son together.  My brother/cousin now has a half brother. cool. New son has been my "cousin" ever since, even though there is no blood or marriage relation anymore (uncle who died was my blood uncle, and he and my cousin's mom divorced before his death).

Flash forward about 20 more years- his mom and stepdad divorce.  His stepdad is about to remarry someone new, who also has a daughter.  My brother (30 now) and his half brother (24) call their dad to find out the wedding arrangements.  Their dad says that only the younger son and the new wife's daughter will be in the wedidng party.

What?

My brother has been his stepson for 23 of his 30 years on this earth.  He calls him dad!! I was totally affronted by this whole thing and wish I could say something to stand up for my brother.  I'm not even really related to any of these people except my brother, so it's not my place, but I had to express my frustration at their faux pas.  I find it totally rude and hurtful to point out his "different" relationship on their wedding day, especially after all these years.  To make matters worse, the stepdad is my friend on FB! lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards