Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help!

My nephew is coming to stay for a week with fi and I. He's awesome! The sweetest, funniest kid. He was born deaf and fi and I have both been learning sign language and my sister has asked if we could look after him for a week while she and her husband go away. Of course I've talked to her about what to be careful of and his usual routine etc but was wondering if anyone else has any good advice regarding how to make life easier/safer etc for him while he's here! I'm so excited but a wee bit anxious coz I want him to have a great time!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help!

• Options
    One thing that really helps is making sure that he has a visual or physical warning when you need his attention. A gentle tap on the shoulder, eye contact, etc. It sounds really obvious, but you'd be amazed at how quickly you forget when you try to call out to him. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks so much azdancer. It's just little tips like that that really help and that seem so obvious but that I might not think of myself. I'm so excited but its a bit daunting just because life does have to be done a bit differently!
  • Options
    One important tip I learned when communicating to deaf people... Facial expressions while signing can speak volumes. Same goes for body language.
  • Options
    You may want to PM LP...damn, there are some #'s after her name, but if you look back through posts you'll find her.  She's deaf and could probably give you some great tips!
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try paging edielaura too.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'll try and find both of them and PM them, would they be OK with that do you think? I don't wanna be intrusive or anything
  • Options
    Ditto Chrissy.  They're both very open about it.  It would probably be easier to reach edie.  I haven't seen LP in ages.
  • Options
    Great thanks edie! I guess I'll just have to remember that I have to make sure I have his full attention and that I am clear about things and am always facing him! Easy as that haha. It's just so easy to forget sometimes. Thanks so much for your help though, I'm glad to hear that such small things can make such a difference. I was semi-scared I'd get a huge list of things to be careful of etc and I'd freak out!
  • Options
    Sorry to jump in, but hey! I'm deaf! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-looking-after-nephew-whos-deaf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5b14e61e-ac6c-4bce-bd3a-1ce0d4198ae4Post:a86c27d6-4ffb-48ae-8e91-6c88dce05a73">Re: NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help! : Feel free to jump in!  <strong>Do you wear hearing aids?  Do you sign?</strong>  I am 1. Yes and 2. No.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

1. Nope I don't, not since the 2nd grade

2. Yes I sign, I'm actually an ASL teacher :)

Aren't we completely opposite?! Are you able to understand most stuff with your hearing aids on or do you mostly lip read? I don't understand any sound with hearing aids but I am able to lip read. My FI is deaf and he has hearing aids and he talks (and lip reads) and signs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-looking-after-nephew-whos-deaf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5b14e61e-ac6c-4bce-bd3a-1ce0d4198ae4Post:c81ec2e9-8db8-4d4f-9a54-4be2ce63a99c">Re: NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Looking after my nephew who's deaf-help! : I lip read like it's my job :-) That's so cool you're an ASL teacher!  I love seeing people sign.  It's like being in a secret club.  I was going to take it for my language requirement in college but they don't consider it a language.  I also took a course on disabilities and the teacher kept showing movies without subtitles.  *headdesk*
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

What college was it at? I can't believe they don't consider it a language! It's actually a fun language- you can communicate with other people from across the room, through a window, underwater, oh and even while your mouth is full of food!

I took a course on disabilities too and the teacher had no idea how to work with me, a deaf student! He had a PhD in disabilities & development. Quite interesting guy.
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad to find somebody who knows what it's like being deaf here! I may be back with some questions for you. Like right now my FI and I are struggling with ideas for what music to use for our ceremony/reception since we cannot hear and we have no idea what songs are good. I just asked my month board for help! Feel free to share your ideas with me :)
  • Options

OP, I thought of something else. I don't know if this kid reads lips at all, but I find it way harder to understand people when they have parts of their face covered. Their mouths especially, but even wearing sunglasses or accidentally holding things in front of their face causes issues. Not being able to see the entire face makes it harder to read "tone", if you KWIM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards