Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Grooms cake?

So what's the deal with grooms cakes?  From what I've read online they're more prevalent in the south so I'd like to hear from midwest brides if possible...did you have one?  And if so, did you serve it at the reception?  Rehearsal dinner?  Or is it a complete waste of money and we should just have our wedding cake (the cake tasting is tomorrow!!!) :)

Re: Grooms cake?

• Options
    Never saw one at a wedding in Ohio where I went through high school and college and worked for a moment after college.
    Haven't seen a wedding WITHOUT one since I moved to Florida.
  • Options
    I believe the groom's cake is a Southern tradition that has become more nationally popular in recent years.. Probably just another tactic by the wedding industry to make more money. 

It's a cute idea, but I've never seen one at a west coast wedding. 

I'm also unclear as to why the chocolate flavor option is a plausible reason for a groom's cake... what's wrong with a chocolate wedding cake? I've seen many chocolate wedding cakes and/or alternating tiers of different flavors, etc. What does chocolate have to do with a groom's cake? 

I would say if a groom's cake is desired to serve it at the rehearsal dinner. After all, the rehearsal dinner is traditionally hosted by the groom's parents, so it would make sense to have the groom's cake featured there, IMO.

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-cake-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5bce685a-864a-4fdc-a2d0-aa7ff265c20bPost:65bc1bf0-64b4-40c2-83ff-95f1ea654b11">Re: Grooms cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe the groom's cake is a Southern tradition that has become more nationally popular in recent years.. Probably just another tactic by the wedding industry to make more money.  It's a cute idea, but I've never seen one at a west coast wedding.  I'm also unclear as to why the chocolate flavor option is a plausible reason for a groom's cake... what's wrong with a chocolate wedding cake? I've seen many chocolate wedding cakes and/or alternating tiers of different flavors, etc. What does chocolate have to do with a groom's cake?  I would say if a groom's cake is desired to serve it at the rehearsal dinner. After all, the rehearsal dinner is traditionally hosted by the groom's parents, so it would make sense to have the groom's cake featured there, IMO.
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

<div>Good point I should have been more clear - it's to provide two flavors.  Usually down here the bride's cake is vanilla and the groom's is chocolate, though I've seen it reversed.  Or like pp mentioned, chocolate and red velvet.  Chocolate is one of those flavors that people have a strong opinion about, so southerners usually provide it as an option but not the only option.  Usually with an entirely separate cake it's too much food for a single event, and that's why we're happy with our solution to alternate tiers.  Apparently nobody has ever asked our baker to do that before - that's how common the groom's cake is down here.  I've only been to one wedding that didn't have one.  I honestly had no idea that it was a southern thing until TK because I have also seen them at my midwestern family members' weddings.  They're usually not expensive - just a sheet cake with some fun decorations that expresses the groom's interests.  I think we were quoted $50 or so for one, but like I said we didn't want a repeat of the rehearsal dinner.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I see them fairly regularly here in Michigan. When my ex-h remarried, his had a roller coaster on it because he is a roller coaster freak. I've also seen one done in the shape of a football stadium that must have cost a crazy fortune. Usually when people are planning one they just incorporate it into how much cake they need. If they are having 200 guests, they make sure the two cakes will give them enough cake. I used to see them predominantly chocolate but DH's was carrot because that is what he likes. It was decorated to coordinate with our wedding cake though. If groom's cakes aren't seen in your area I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a traditional cake and don't spend the extra money.
  • Options
    We had a Red Sox one at our RD. It was a surprise for my hubby to be. He loved it and it was yummy!
  • Options
    It isn't a tradition around here: I've been to a wedding that had seperate bride and groom cupcakes, and a RD where the groom was gluten free, so he had his own special pizza, but that's about it.

I just wanted to do a special surprise for H. His had a comic book theme and was red velvet. We served it at the rehearsal dinner. We had a couple flavors in our main cake, and had picked it out together, so there really wasn't a need for extra at the reception.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm from San Diego and FI is from Baltimore; we're getting married in Maryland and having a groom's cake. He's a die-hard Baltimore Ravens fan, so the cake will be a Ravens theme, It will also be chocolate (chocolate and nutella-chocolate-cream filling) since I didn't want our wedding cake chocolate (for cake cutting pictures).

We're huge dessert people, tho. In addition to the groom's cake and wedding cake, we're also serving tiramisu, German chocolate cake, and Italian rum cake. (And setting out take-away boxes for people to take home!)

The groom cake cost was trivial--like $125 for a half sheet (we're hosting 100 guests but with all the desserts, our baker recommended only a half sheet).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've seen it twice here in Ohio. Both times the grooms cake was one of the more memorable parts of type wedding because it usually reflects their personality. The first cake was a golf cake as he was an avid award winning golfer. The second cake was a sheet cake with Don Corleone's face from "The Godfather and they played the theme song as they cut it. It was hysterical. Groom was a huge Godfather fan and came from a big Italian family. I would love to do one if we have the budget for it. Mine would just be hard to narrow down since my fiance has about a zillion passions and hobbies.,
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think I've decided against it. I'd rather apply the money elsewhere. We did our cake tasting this morning cake for breakfast rocks! and we are getting a four level square cake that feeds 225 to 250. The bottom is white, then marble and then chocolate. Our take home layer is white almond. Given the choices we aren't doing a groom's cake. Thanks for all the input!
  • Options
    I'm from Nebraka and we are doing a Cornhusker football red velvet cake. We also have a small tiered cake and 1/2 a sheetcake for a total of 4 flavors. The grooms cake was only $15 more than the 1/2 sheetcake .
  • Options
    I've only ever seen it at two weddings, both here in CT. They were at two of H's cousins' weddings, one groom was from Texas and one was from South Carolina. Each groom's cake had something representing their state on the cake. It was a nice way to incorporate their home into the reception. It also provided a variety of flavors because both wedding cakes were only one flavor.

Our cake was three tiers, each a different flavor, and big enough to feed everyone, so a groom's cake wasn't necessary or something I even really thought of for us.
  • Options
    I did one for H that was Green Lantern. We just worked it into the overall cake count and got a smaller wedding cake and it worked out to be the same price. We did it a different flavor than the wedding cake, which meant three choices of cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    When I met with my baker here in NC, their promotional material said: "Don't forget the groom's cake! It's a southern tradition!" FWIW, I've never seen it at a wedding outside of the south. We're not sure yet whether we're having one or not, but if we do, I think it will be at the rehearsal dinner and not at the wedding. For us, the final decision will come down to budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    FI loves chocolate with peanut butter (and so do I, although not as much as he does!), so we're doing it as a separate groom's cake because of potential allergy issues, which might also apply to any cake flavor that involves nuts -- we aren't aware of any allergies amoung our guests, but nut allergies tend to be pretty intense, so we're doing separate cake, and separate serving utensils.  We're doing a lighter mid-afternoon hors 'douvres reception, so we're planning two servings of cake per guest (two different flavored tiers and the chocolate peanut butter one).

It isn't costing us extra (FI wants to make it); some bakers around here offer a free groom's cake, just as some in other areas offer a free small cake on the couple's first anniversary (never heard of that before TK).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-cake-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5bce685a-864a-4fdc-a2d0-aa7ff265c20bPost:937d5d70-b9db-4e93-ae27-6a7ce2d566ac">Re: Grooms cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from San Diego and FI is from Baltimore; we're getting married in Maryland and having a groom's cake. He's a die-hard Baltimore Ravens fan, so the cake will be a Ravens theme, It will also be chocolate (chocolate and nutella-chocolate-cream filling) since I didn't want our wedding cake chocolate (for cake cutting pictures). We're huge dessert people, tho. In addition to the groom's cake and wedding cake, we're also serving tiramisu, German chocolate cake, and Italian rum cake. (And setting out take-away boxes for people to take home!) The groom cake cost was trivial--like $125 for a half sheet (we're hosting 100 guests but with all the desserts, our baker recommended only a half sheet).
    Posted by jenferian[/QUOTE]

Good luck tomorrow.
  • Options
    Only saw it at a wedding I went to in TN.  But I was impressed with the creativity.
  • Options
    So interesting.  I've always seen one, even at northern weddings, so I thought everyone did it.

We're not doing anything funny/cutesy for it... we just want a separate tiramisu cake/dessert because FI LOVES tiramisu.  And then we'll have a regular wedding cake with different flavors.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I am from Texas, and my fiance is from Massachusetts. When I told him about the tradition it was something he got really into and excited about. He chose a tardis shape grooms cake from DOCTOR WHO. He hasn't been super into anything else (more than any normal guy anyways) so this was something he got to take on and feels like a piece of him is really being represented in a fun way. It is a southern tradition but I think it's really cool for anyone. It cost us about 100$ and he's happy, so I say if it is something that your fiance wants and is excited about, then go for it! If he's just kinda "meh" about it, then it is easy to forgo.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-cake-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5bce685a-864a-4fdc-a2d0-aa7ff265c20bPost:f16d1210-49c5-49b0-adce-a6d7adf4b31e">Grooms cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So what's the deal with grooms cakes?  From what I've read online they're more prevalent in the south so I'd like to hear from midwest brides if possible...did you have one?  And if so, did you serve it at the reception?  Rehearsal dinner?  Or is it a complete waste of money and we should just have our wedding cake (the cake tasting is tomorrow!!!) :)
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards