Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

invitation wording: double check/improvements?

I am going to be ordering invites soon so i can ensure I have enough time to address them without having to rush.  The wedding is being paid for equally by mine and FI's parents.  Before I place my order I'd appreciate a read through and any suggestions or changes that can be made!

Mr. and Mrs. sb1512's father's first middle and last name
together with
Mr. and Mrs. FI's father's first middle and last name
request the pleasure of your company
at the marriage of their children
sb1512's first and middle name
to
sb1512's fiance's first and middle name
Saturday, June 29, 2013
at 6:30 p.m.
Venue name
venue city

Reception Immediately Following Ceremony

Also, for response cards.  Is it 1 per invite, or 1 per person on the invite.  So for example if an invite is going to a couple, do I give them 1 response card with room for both of them to mark off a meal choice, or 2 response cards, 1 for each person.  What about when invites go to a family of 4?  Still 1 response card?  Thanks!

Re: invitation wording: double check/improvements?

• Options
    I don't think you need the "together with" on the second line, and I'd use "in the evening" instead of "p.m." but otherwise it looks okay to me.

For response cards, include one per invitation with enough room for each person to list meal choices-you might do it as follows:

# of persons
    ordering

_______  Meal choice #1
    _______  Meal choice #2
    Etc.
  • Options
    If your wedding is more formal, you may want to use the more traditional wording of "Saturday, the twenty-ninth of June" "two thousand thirteen" and "half after six o'clock".  If your wedding is more casual, then the wording that you have for that part is fine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  Yes we do need guests to indicate a meal choice (chicken marsala, salmon or filet).

Stage: I do have together with on it's own line (below my parent's names), is it not showing up that way on the post?

I think I'll remove the middle names of parents.  I was looking through a bunch of different templates and kinda meshed a bunch together, and a lot of the ones I saw included the middle names, but if no one else is familiar with that wording I'll get rid of them. 

As far as the wording of the date/time, how would you define a casual vs. formal wedding.  We will be having a cocktail hour followed by salad, pasta, main meal and dessert.  We'll have a dj as well and open bar and a photobooth.  the reception runs from 7pm-midnight. 
  • Options
    For RSVP wording, since you need to do meal choices, I'd suggest using the phrase "Please initial entree choice for each guest".  This way if you are giving 1 RSVP card to a family and want to split the kids from the parents when you do your seating, you know who ordered what.  Not that everyone will follow that (it's possible they will write 2 fish and 2 chicken and you may need to follow up to find out who ordered what), but it may help.  Mine read:

The favor of response is requested by the 12th of March
    M________________
    Number attending _
    Please initial entree choice for each guest
    Fish__
    Chicken__
    Beef__
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-wording-double-checkimprovements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c307a51-1642-4cc1-bb4f-692712cf35fcPost:d40fc882-17f6-4ca4-8f8f-393262d515b7">Re: invitation wording: double check/improvements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone.  Yes we do need guests to indicate a meal choice (chicken marsala, salmon or filet). Stage: I do have together with on it's own line (below my parent's names), is it not showing up that way on the post? I think I'll remove the middle names of parents. <strong> I was looking through a bunch of different templates and kinda meshed a bunch together, and a lot of the ones I saw included the middle names, but if no one else is familiar with that wording I'll get rid of them. </strong> As far as the wording of the date/time, how would you define a casual vs. formal wedding.  We will be having a cocktail hour followed by salad, pasta, main meal and dessert.  We'll have a dj as well and open bar and a photobooth.  the reception runs from 7pm-midnight. 
    Posted by SB1512[/QUOTE]

Middle names typically would be used if parent and child share the same first name. 

My FI and his father share the same first name but have different middle names.  They both <em>always</em> include their middle names on everything.  Funny, people still confuse them all. the. time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-wording-double-checkimprovements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c307a51-1642-4cc1-bb4f-692712cf35fcPost:e84632e5-dee6-4359-877f-d06f95b7a267">Re: invitation wording: double check/improvements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For RSVP wording, since you need to do meal choices, I'd suggest using the phrase "Please initial entree choice for each guest".  This way if you are giving 1 RSVP card to a family and want to split the kids from the parents when you do your seating, you know who ordered what.  Not that everyone will follow that (it's possible they will write 2 fish and 2 chicken and you may need to follow up to find out who ordered what), but it may help.  Mine read: The favor of response is requested by the 12th of March M________________ Number attending _ Please initial entree choice for each guest Fish__ Chicken__ Beef__
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

Like this suggestion a lot.  Thanks!
  • Options
    The formality is based on your wedding - is it casual with short BM's dresses (not long), men in suits (or no suit) in stead of tuxes/formal attire, low-key center pieces and at a more casual venue? or is it the opposite?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    bMs are wearing cotton short dresses and I think my FI and his guys are wearing tuxes? I told him they can do suits it's up to them. I wouldn't say the venue is super fancy either.i think I'll still with the more casual wording unless either of our parents would like to see it changed
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-wording-double-checkimprovements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c307a51-1642-4cc1-bb4f-692712cf35fcPost:43e018d4-86d0-429b-8634-19240d0daf3f">Re: invitation wording: double check/improvements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a few tweeks. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rocky Flintstone Mr. and Mrs.Barney James Rubble request the pleasure of your company at the marriage of Pebbles Precious Flintstone and Bambam Hunk Rubble Saturday, the twenty-ninth of June two thousand thirteen half after six o'clock Venue name City, State Reception immediately following ceremony On a wedding invitation, typically everyone usually uses their full legal name, except the bride, but in this case, you do need the bride's last nakme to indicate which set of parents are hers.  I would try to avoid calling yourselves "children".  Don't use all those capital letters at the bottom. The formality of your wedding is usually indicated by the style of the invitation, not the wording.  This is simply standard wedding invitation wording.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Thank you!  As long as the parents approve can't wait to get this off my list of things to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards