Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

low on guests

We recently rescheduled our wedding due to Hurricane Sandy. We had approximately 148 including step mom side attending. Since then I had major blowout with stepmom not first time these have been occuring for several years due to me reconnecting with my mother. Long story short stepmoms side is not going, stepmom is not going along with most of my dads side. We guaranteed 130 and we have 114. We are paying completely on our own. We are getting married in Jan. How would you handle this?

Re: low on guests

• Options
    I would talk to the venue about using the money you're giving them for other things, since it isn't going for food.

• Options
    Thats what we were going to do. My mom and stepdad did not have their friends invited as per their choice but mentioned that they would ask a few people. I feel bad doing that but the friends they would ask know the crazy dynamics of our family situation. I am meeting with the venue tomorrow so hopefully they will be understanding. I hate to pay for empty seats; much rather do upgrades
  • Options

It might be worth it to plan paying for a few extra seats. This way if you make up with your Stepmom by the wedding date there will still be room for her and your dad to come and maybe a few of the other relatives that cancelled due to the situation.

• Options
    Did you ask your venue if they will count the vendors into the guest count? I'm from LI as well, hi by the way and sorry about you having to re-schedule. My venue said they would count our vendors if we fall short- basically, anyone they have to feed like the photograpger/asst and the band members. We are having a 7 piece band so if we fall short they will count all 7 band members and our photographer into our guest count. Why don't you ask your venue if they will count the vendors? it might not be enough to get you up to 130 but it might help a little.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry this is happening. Definitely see what the venue can offer; maybe they can lower the minimum. The date was obviously open anyway so hopefully they can be a little flexible. They should be able to add another station at the cocktail hour or something similar. If not, and you want them, ask to have some of those entrees wrapped to go. You'll have great meals in the freezer for a long time.
  • Options
    I'm sorry about this.  I agree with the above advice to talk to the venue and find out if you can purchase something else in exchance for the number of guests below the minimum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards