Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Exchange Student Help

I have an exchange student from Taiwan who feels he is being treated unfairly compared to other students in the school.  He says some of the teachers do not like him so he wants his dad to take him back to Taiwan.

I think he is being treated fairly.  I see he loves attention and loves to play the "I am foreign, I don't understand" card, even though he went to an American boarding school in Taiwan, so he mostly does understand.  My classroom is on the other side of the school, so I do not always see what is going on in passing on the other end, but my school is VERY small and all of the teachers talk, so I am sure if there were some big incident I would have heard about it.

So my question is, should I tell him to suck it up and stick out the year because he made a commitment to be here- and life is not always fair so he should take this as a life lesson.  Or should I maybe encourage him to go back home where he is more comfortable? Or any other option?

2 of us- a bunch of you! Celebrating the whole night through!

Re: Exchange Student Help

• Options
    I think you should maybe talk to him a little more in depth to see exactly why he feels the way he does before deciding on any sort of advice.  Like you said there may be more to the story then what you know.  It could be that someone specific is picking on him or something. 

I honestly don't think you should encourage him to go home regardless, but let him know he can count on you if he feels uncomfortable and that you'll try to work out the issues together. 
  • Options
    What is your professional realtionship with him? Is there not a counselor at the school who can help him out, or an International student rep or something? Basically, why would he listen to you above anyone else?
  • Options
    There doesn't need to be any one "big incident" in order for a kid to be miserable.  How old is he?  How long has he been this far from home - all year?  Can he at least skype-talk to his parents and see what they say? 
  • Options
    He is a sophomore.  His parents own a restaurant and a school and he rarely talks to them except for to ask for money.  We do not have an international counselor, and our regular counselor is only here once a week.  I am his teacher as well as his FFA advisor, so I see him more often than his other teachers.  As a group we have traveled to conferences and competitions together, so I have spent more time with him.  I suggested he talk with our superintendent if he feels he is being singled out beyond the other students.

He has been away since the beginning of August.  I don't sense he is homesick because he has been talking about going to a boarding school in WA next year. 
  • Options

Sounds like he doesn't have very many friends and is just kinda miserable.  Talk to him.  What's preventing you from doing so?

• Options
    He is pretty popular amongst the students (there are only about 45 in 7-12th grade).  This just all came about today, and now he is in my class.  I heard this morning from another student that he wants to go home.  I may hold him after class and just talk to him for a minute to see what all is bothering him.
  • Options
    Maybe you could teach him to hang around with all the people that don't like him very much? You seem to be pretty good at that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards