Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Menus and RSVPs

If you are have a buffet do you need a wedding menu at the reception?  We are having a buffet and I don't know whether to still get them or not.  And since we are having a buffet what else should we put on the RSVPs?  
Me&him&ourboys=love

Re: Wedding Menus and RSVPs

• We had a buffet but no menu.  All we put on our RSVP was the guest's choice of chicken or beef so our caterer knew how much of each to make.
    panther
  • Maybe just 1 or 2 nice size menus on each table to outline what is being served on the buffet. 

In regards to your RSVP, maybe ask for any special dietary concerns?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm doing a buffet and no menus - seemed like wasted paper to me.  Instead we'll have a chalkboard at the front of the table listing what the items are (in case people can't ID them by sight).

I didn't put anything on the RSVP about food.
  • edited February 2012
    You don't have to do a menu, but you might want to make little cards to go in front of each dish so people can identify what they're eating (if the buffet's self-serve, obviously if you have catering staff serving the food they should be able to tell your guests what it is).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I went against the grain only because our table setting was so simple. I folded pockets into our linen napkins and am inserting the menu list it also tells what all the dessert flavors are and the two cocktail drinks. That way since dinner is covered until time to head up there no one is surprised at the choices.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-menus-and-rsvps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5e7edc8a-ec31-43bf-93c7-584470921e48Post:33ad2dc1-ba2d-4ce2-9740-d96a40cc0227">Re: Wedding Menus and RSVPs</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to do a menu, but you might want to make little cards to go in front of each dish so people can identify what they're eating (if the buffet's self-serve, obviously if you have catering staff serving the food they should be able to tell your guests what it is).
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

This. We are having a buffest but not having a menu or including anything in the invites/rvsp's. However we have quite a large number of people who have special diatery needs, (but we got it covered, theres something for everyone!) so we are listing the ingredients on small cards in front of the dishes, so we dont run into any emergencies. (We have vegans, celiac, lactose-intolerent, nut allergies, soy lethicin allergies etc)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Ask your caterer about the RSVP part.  They may not need an estimate of who wants what.  I am having a sit down dinner and my venue only required an estimate of what entree if you are getting one of their upgraded entrees. 
  • We're going to do 1 menu per table -- mostly because they're pretty, but also because we're also have passed hors d'oeuvres and it's kind of nice to know what's around.

We won't have anything on our RSVP about food.
    Lizzie
  • A menu is optional for a buffet. I think it's a nice courtesy for guests to see what will be served, especially if they have food allergies/intolerances and dislikes.  As PP have said, you can do one large menu at the reception entrance, one per table, or individual menus at each setting. IMO, the latter is the most formal and costly , so may or may not make sense for the formality of your wedding and budget.

Cards at the buffet table are a necessity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards