Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Toasting Etiquette

We're still over 4 months out so it's not a pertinent detail yet but as my FI's uncomfortable with toasts I'd like to be prepared...
I understand that if the best man and MOH would LIKE to share a toast at the reception, they're welcome to.  Same goes for other guests of honor I think.  FI isn't shy but he's nervous in front of a bunch of people (as am I to an extent).  We're going to make 1 toast together I think, thanking our parents and our guests for being there that night.

I've been taught that when someone gives you a toast you're supposed to respond to them with a toast but this has usually been at smaller dinners--like if it's a birthday dinner and someone toasts to my birthday I'm supposed to toast to the host/everyone for making it a great day.
At the wedding, does making 1 toast at the end constitute this rule?  Or should I/we respond to every toast while staying seated?  

Minute detail I know, but I've been caught in this situation stumbling over my words after unexpected toasts so it's become a huge anxiety for me ha.
Anniversary

Re: Toasting Etiquette

• Options
    You and your FI can make a toast/thank you announcement at the RD.  If the BM/MOH want to give a speech at the wedding they can.  And I've heard that sometimes the FOB makes a speech too.  But that's really it.  

You and your FI should go around to all the tables or do a receiving line to thank everyone for personally.  Then there is no need for a public thank you.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, I've never heard that you need to make a thank you toast back to the BM and MOH at the wedding. If you want to say a few words of thank you, I think that is fine (also not necessary).  Just let them toast you and then move on.  That's how most weddings I've been to have run!
  • Options
    I've never seen a response to a toast at a wedding. But I would do your thank you/toast after everyone else is done (alternately you could do it first and welcome everyone). I like seeing a public thank you at the wedding and at least in my crowd, it's become very common (and that has nothing to do with table visits one way or the other).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_toasting-etiquette-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f799f9c-0273-47cb-94d7-aaa1761e1eb1Post:7ded6382-20a8-4cce-9344-b4560f97b808">Re: Toasting Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen a response to a toast at a wedding. But I would do your thank you/toast after everyone else is done (alternately you could do it first and welcome everyone). I like seeing a public thank you at the wedding and at least in my crowd, it's become very common (and that has nothing to do with table visits one way or the other).
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

Oh, and I agree on the B&G thank you.  Some people say it is unnecessary or that the FOB should do it (assuming brides parents are paying/hosting in a traditional fashion).  But I like it and we did  one since we hosted our wedding, so it made sense for us to thank our guests rather than anyone else.  After all, it was OUR wedding.

I'm also really glad we did it bc even though we tried our best to get around to every table, it was really hard and we ran out of time.  So at least we did thank everyone at some point!  I think my only real regret form our wedding was I wish we had done a receiving line so we didn't have to stress about the table visits.
  • Options
    It's relieving to hear we don't have to make so many toasts!  We're trying to do a receiving line, if not we'll of course visit each table to thank people individually.  That cuts out a lot of stress :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think that the most I've seen is the B&G saying "Thank you all for coming and celebrating.  It means so much to us.  Now let's get this party started!"

Usually they do not say anything.  I've seen the FOB say a "Thank You" speech or give a prayer before the meal as well. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards