Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

No RSVP Cards?

Hello again!

Another question about the invites...

FI and I are leaning towards putting a line on the invites that states "Please RSVP by x date to (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxxxx@xxx.com" rather than sending out (expensive!) RSVP cards.

Does anyone have any pros/cons that we should be aware of? Any horror stories (I hope not!)?

Thanks!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: No RSVP Cards?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:78946890-d940-4265-b81d-d64a69545b9c">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]RSVPing by phone is fine, but it is not very formal. If your wedding is a big sit down dinner then I think written responses are better. You are not obligated to supply reply cards, but if you do they should be stamped. In the good old days people would just write a response on their own stationary and mail it. You can get 100 free post cards from vistaprint. That might be a good way to do written responses inexpensively and it would save on postage.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]
    This. To me, RSVPing by phone or email tells me your wedding is going to be quite casual. That's fine, as long as it really is going to be casual.

Post card postage is 29 cents instead of 44 for an enclosed letter. That helps a bit with cost. Liatris gave you a great suggestion for Vistaprint.
  • Options
    I'd take into account the number of people you've invited before putting your phone number on it - a card or email you can set aside until you have time to right everything down, but if you give out your phone number to 200 guests, your phone will be ringing off the hook leading up to the wedding. So I'd go with cards or email.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't realize vistaprint was so inexpensive! I'd taken a look at their RSVP card and it would've been more expensive through them than ordering them with invitations.

To be sure, I would include the postcards in with the invitations? Would it be better to send the postcards to the older, much less tech-savvy guests and have our friends rsvp by phone or email? Or does that look bad?

We're doing a semi-formal dinner following the ceremony, but it will be quite small.

Thank you for the advice! And for being so nice! I don't really have anyone else to ask for opinions on all of this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:319abea8-b137-4fa0-9dde-ff9d223befc5">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd take into account the number of people you've invited before putting your phone number on it - a card or email you can set aside until you have time to right everything down, but if you give out your phone number to 200 guests, your phone will be ringing off the hook leading up to the wedding. So I'd go with cards or email.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

We set a google voice number as voicemail-only with no forwarding phone number, and the voicemails automatically transcribe to email, which is then forwarded to both of our gmail accounts. FI is a computer wizard :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:68e6f7a4-fbac-412d-b6e6-575a00f4dde7">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I didn't realize vistaprint was so inexpensive! I'd taken a look at their RSVP card and it would've been more expensive through them than ordering them with invitations. <strong>To be sure, I would include the postcards in with the invitations? Would it be better to send the postcards to the older, much less tech-savvy guests and have our friends rsvp by phone or email? </strong>Or does that look bad? We're doing a semi-formal dinner following the ceremony, but it will be quite small. Thank you for the advice! And for being so nice! I don't really have anyone else to ask for opinions on all of this.
    Posted by magicalmegpie[/QUOTE]

<div>You include the postcard with the invitation, stamped and addressed to you.  Then the guest fills it out and drops it in the mail.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If it is going to be quite small, you really don't need that many, so you might as well just send them to everyone.  With the cost of vistaprint, it won't be that expensive.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:14f9a42f-6412-46bc-851f-8daee03490f0">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Include the postcards with the invitations, otherwise how will you get the postcards to people?
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

This was much more obvious to me after my first cup of coffee.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:3d9e70fd-8826-430a-b773-43f0286abe87">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No RSVP Cards? : We set a google voice number as voicemail-only with no forwarding phone number, and the voicemails automatically transcribe to email, which is then forwarded to both of our gmail accounts. FI is a computer wizard :)
    Posted by magicalmegpie[/QUOTE]

omg do I love Google. It gets better every day. I have no idea what I'll use this information for yet, but I'll find a way, lol
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did email only, but our wedding was super casual.  It worked out fine.  We only ended up having to call a couple of people, but I think that pretty much happens to everyone no matter what form the RSVP is.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    In all honesty, I sent out the RSVP cards with their little envelope, but I did not stamp them (gasp!! I know) it was just too expensive and I knew that my family would only send them back if they were coming and I wasn't about to waste money! I literally only had one person who is coming not RSVP only b/c she lost her invitiation when they moved and had to call me, but she RSVP'd over the phone so I guess she doesn't even count lol. 

And that Google thing? AMAZING!! Need to find a reason to use it
    image A sadly neglected Bio
  • Options
    I forget calling people because I'm afraid to call during the day since they could be working.. and then I don't want to interrupt their dinner or whatever or blah blah blah... and yes, I could easily leave a voicemail but then I feel obligated to call back to make sure they received it (especially if it was a wedding RSVP)

and as far as emails go.. you would have to carefully check all your spam folders so you don't miss one!

For something as important as a wedding, I think written RSVPs are the best. 
  • Options
    I set up a new email address just for wedding stuff, so it wasn't that hard to keep track of.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:7b0d4973-6e51-45bb-b4c4-74604bac8063">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In all honesty, I sent out the RSVP cards with their little envelope, but I did not stamp them (gasp!! I know) it was just too expensive and I knew that my family would only send them back if they were coming and I wasn't about to waste money! I literally only had one person who is coming not RSVP only b/c she lost her invitiation when they moved and had to call me, but she RSVP'd over the phone so I guess she doesn't even count lol.  And that Google thing? AMAZING!! Need to find a reason to use it
    Posted by akinal311[/QUOTE]

I stamped mine.  I just think it's courteous since I'm asking them to RSVP.  But honestly, if someone sends me an invitation without a stamped RSVP card, I just call or email them our response.  I don't mind getting a non-stamped card as long as they don't care that I'm not sending back their card. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:f7df09b1-201f-4af5-98e5-33134347ea0a">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Off topic, but Google Voice is the bomb.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>My boss doesn't have my "real" cell because of this wonderful invention. I set "office hours" to my Google Voice # so it wont even alert me after a certain hour. Beautimous! </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rsvp-cards-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:609335a6-1168-43b2-9086-445d5ad61109Post:757a28e4-073e-4cd9-815a-1685147c509b">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I set up a new email address just for wedding stuff, so it wasn't that hard to keep track of.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

This is what I did- <a href="mailto:LastNameWedding@gmail.com">LastNameWedding@gmail.com</a> basically. I gave that email to all vendors and used it for RSVPS. It was very handy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards