Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagement Party

Hi Knotties,

Quick question: When do you believe is the appropiate timing to have your engagement party? We have been engaged for nearly 3 years and are planning to wed in December. Is it too late to have our engagement party? If not, when should do you suggest we should do it?

Thank you all for your input! Laughing

Re: Engagement Party

• Options
    ac_in_dcac_in_dc member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    Usually it's not proper etiquette to throw your own e-party. If someone else is hosting it, though, I don't see a problem with doing it now, especially if you and your FI would like to meet some family friends and that sort of thing. They're not necessary, though.
  • Options
    Yeah definitely too late now in my opinion.  E-parties are supposed to be within the first 3 months of engagement.  If you're getting married this year, I don't really see the point in an engagement party.  You'll be having a shower and a bachelorette party this year in addition to the wedding, so IMO an e-party on top of that after being engaged for so long, is just overkill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_engagement-party-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:624035fe-2c99-4323-a6ff-ca35b3079c12Post:88e12bcc-200a-47b0-951d-23d3202be015">Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Knotties, Quick question: When do you believe is the appropiate timing to have your engagement party? We have been engaged for nearly 3 years and are planning to wed in December. Is it too late to have our engagement party? If not, when should do you suggest we should do it? Thank you all for your input!
    Posted by dahian[/QUOTE]
    JIC

The best time is whenever the host plans to throw it.  You cannot throw your own engagement party, and you can't ask anyone to throw it for you.  That having been said, I do think 3+ years after getting engaged is a bit late for an engagement party.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Has anyone offered to host one for you?

I personally think its a little late.  Just have a party because its fun.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Three years?! Way too late. You usually have it when someone offers to host it, and in the first few months of your engagement. Plus, if your families already know each other, the point is moot.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Too late in my opinion.  You missed your window.
  • Options
    Yup, too late, and you shouldn't throw one for yourself anyway.

If you want to have a party, just have a party. No need to make it an engagement party.
  • Options
    WAY too late. You've already been engaged for 3 years.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I agree with pp's. It's much too late.
  • Options
    Much too late for an engagement party, but you could throw a party (NOT in honor of yourselves, like an engagement party is) just because, to get everyone together or to meet and such.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards