Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do you think this is tacky?

I got a massage this morning and they had this sign up at the check out--very obvious, big sign.  I think this is in pretty poor taste.  WDYT?

If it's too small to read, it says "What is an appropriate Gratuity for a Massage Service?  For a 1 hour session, $12-20...etc."  They also had big/obvious "Gratuity" envelopes in every massage room, and at the end asked "How much did you want to add for gratuity?" when I put the massage on my debit card.

I was really put off by it.  I understand that a large portion of their income is from tips (been there, done that), but really, listing dollar amounts?    WDYT? 
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Do you think this is tacky?

• yeah, that's not cool.
    Photobucket
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Um yeah, I would like to make up my mind on a tip on my own and not be asked about it, thanks. I like when debit asks in the system if you want to leave a tip and no one knows until after its done. I think thats kind of crude the way theyre doing it.
  • wow. i'd be real uncomfortable and i work for tips.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like that at all.  I think people using the service should know to tip, and just a quiet, "would you like to add a tip" or whatever when you're paying should suffice. 
  • Um...yeah...tips are not a requirement in my book, they are there for a job well done. If I get my hair done and it sucks they get a $5 tip for the effort, my awesome hair dresser gets a $20 tip for a $20 haircut because she's awesome.

My mom has done massage therapy both public and private and never has said "so what's my tip?" It pays off in the end if you are good, her tips now pay more than my yearly salary.
  • Well... they do the 10%, 15%, 20% at the bottom of some restaurant receipts. 

But the "how much do you want to add?" question gets me. I've always been asked, "Would you like to add gratuity?" when I pay for my massages. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Yeah, I'd already given the massage therapist a tip in the huge envelope they left with GRATUITY on it in the room. 

This really bugs me.  It seems grabby, like putting registry info on a wedding invitation.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got a massage this morning too, and there was a Gratuity envelope in the room.  Only I needed change so  couldn't leave it there.  Oh well.

I think that the sign is really tacky, though.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • That would be very off-putting, but at least the actual therapists aren't the ones money grubbing in your face. I think the huge bolding of the word "Gratuity" was a bit, er, gratuitous. ;)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Wait, so they wanted you to leave a cash tip in the room, and then add an additional $20 tip on top of it? wow...that'd better be one damn good massage!
  • Yeah, I've seen small envelopes at check-out for tips at salons before, but never in the room and with "GRATUITY" written on it.  I can get over that, I just think the sign is awful.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just went for a massage yesterday and they didn't have specific ammounts for tips but there was so many signs saying gratuity is appreciated or something like that.  I think one or two signs would do not 10 including one in the bathroom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that is over the top tacky. I also do not like when a grautity is included in my bill, because I will tip accordingly.
  • I went to Massage Envy once and very very put off by the tip thing, as well as their pushpushpush to sign up for the monthly service. I don't go there anymore.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes.  I do not like to be told how much to tip.  I realize some people are idiots and really don't know how to tip, but a sign is just going to annoy them and make them tip you even worse.  Them's the breaks when you work in the service industry.

The receipt thing doesn't bother me, because they put several amounts, and one is usually even less than the standard 15%, so it's not like they are telling you what to tip.  I like having it on there.  You'd think I'd be good at doing math in my head, but I actually suck at it.  My normal tip for good service at a restaurant is 20%, and that's primarily because it's easier to do the math on 20% than 15%.  But if service is less than stellar, it's nice to have a guide so that I know how much to tip without tapping into the mental calculator. 
  • Question about Massage Envy--isn't that the place with the $40 massages?  If so, those tips seem awfully high. 
  • I was bothered by massage envy as well... From the tipping to how pushy they are about signing up... REALLY not relaxing IMO...
  • Heels, the first massage is $39, and from there on they're $65 unless you join their monthly massage club or something.  It was my first (and last) one there, so I figured why not.

I get them cheaper than $65 through work so I'll go that route from now on.

two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with Heels about not minding the receipt thing (the suggested amount, not when they add it in) and that 20% is easier to do in my head.  I'm great at calculus but shitty at simple math.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_think-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6aa9416f-0723-42cd-9ce4-13f2cd3c493bPost:259fc283-b55f-41a5-b3fc-b4732359d443">Re: Do you think this is tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question about Massage Envy--isn't that the place with the $40 massages?  If so, those tips seem awfully high. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Yes I think for first time clients (which is why I went), but after that it's higher, I think. I have a few coworkers who used to have a membership but cut it out because it was too expensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't mind the percentages onthe reciept. But, I think tip jars are way overused. Just as an example, I don't usually feel inclined to tip the person at Subway, because that job is not nearly as involved as being a waiter/waitress.
  • So, even being generous and basing the tip on the regular price rather than the special price, they are recommending an 18-31% tip.  Um, fuckyouverymuch. 
  • I hate it even when restaurants do this. 
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Yea, that would annoy and probably cause me to tip less.  I've heard horrible things about Massage Envy, so I'm not sure I could ever go there.
  • I saw a "required tip" sign in a nail salon here and I pointed out to the owner that it's illegal in New York State to "require" a tip.

and it's tacky as well
  • I dont think that's very cool at all. 

In regards to them asking you what you wanted the amount made out to though, that doesn't bug me so much because when I worked in a restaurant that didn't have a tip function I missed out on so many tips because people figured that on the pinpad there would be a tip option.  Then they wouldn't have cash and then I'd be out that tip. 

I'd always get the hostesses to run through my tables and then they'd ask, "is that the amount you'd like it made out for?"  It really sucks and is presumptious but, you gotta do what you gotta do. 

BUT, that mixed in with the huge blatant sign and what not totally rubs me the wrong way. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Our groomers used to have that problem. There was no way to add a tip to the total cost if they used a credit/debit/check.  Then again, the groomers would make about $1k to $2k per week so I didn't feel that bad for them. The worst groomer was paid far more than the store manager did.
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I'd be put off by it too. Just like when I went to a nail salon in NYC and was asked/reminded several times by the manicurist about tip. She even said to me that "someone needs to pay tip." Actually, no. No one does, especially if you suck. I also told her I'd tip at the end - she was asking if I wanted to tip BEFORE she did my nails! Wtf.
  • I think that sign is super tacky!  I have had service so bad that I have not left a tip before.  I went to get a manicure and the woman cut my fingers six times!!!  She did not get a tip.  I have never had anyone cut me before. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards