Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rehearsal Dinner question

I am the MOH in an upcoming wedding. 

Recently, the bride told me that they are no longer having a rehearsal dinner.  Rehearsal will be at 2pm followed by cocktails back at the hotel around 3pm.

I found this a bit shocking as I always thought that if you have a rehearsal, you have a rehearsal dinner.  Those I have been to in the past were basically a thank you to the wedding party and close family for any help they have provided during the course of wedding events (showers, bachelorette, etc).  What is proper etiquette?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner question

• Options
    Are they paying for the drinks and maybe some appetizers? Because that would be enough for me. I feel like as long as they host SOMETHING, it's fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Is the bride and groom (or parents) hosting the cocktails?  If so then they are having a "rehearsal dinner" per se, just not a meal seeing that it isn't around a meal time.

Both rehearsals and rehearsal dinners aren't mandatory.  But if the couple is having a rehearsal then they should host something afterwards.

• Options
    Originally they were going to have everyone back to the bride's parents house for a casual rehearsal dinner (ordering pizza.....not from Pizza Hut but a nice place locally).  I'm really not sure what changed.

And I honestly am not sure who is paying.  I'm ASSUMING either the bride & groom or her parents are "hosting" it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-question-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6beae4fd-a3cb-4e42-8812-2214540b21cbPost:af608378-420f-47c6-a863-4b2b9928c5ed">Re: Rehearsal Dinner question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Originally they were going to have everyone back to the bride's parents house for a casual rehearsal dinner (ordering pizza.....not from Pizza Hut but a nice place locally).  I'm really not sure what changed</strong>. And I honestly am not sure who is paying.  I'm ASSUMING either the bride & groom or her parents are "hosting" it.
    Posted by shannon5176[/QUOTE]

Well sometimes crap happens and things change.

Again, since the rehearsal is over with at 3pm, I wouldn't have expected a meal anyway.  Just enjoy the cocktails and whatever else they may provide.  If when you get to the hotel the cocktails that you drink are on you, well the couple sucks.  Have a drink and then let them know you have to run.

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-question-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6beae4fd-a3cb-4e42-8812-2214540b21cbPost:af608378-420f-47c6-a863-4b2b9928c5ed">Re: Rehearsal Dinner question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Originally they were going to have everyone back to the bride's parents house for a casual rehearsal dinner (ordering pizza.....not from Pizza Hut but a nice place locally)it.
    Posted by shannon5176[/QUOTE]

Ummm...is there something wrong with Pizza Hut? That's where we went.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My older sister had apps and cocktails at her ILs for her rehearsal dinner. It was laid back, casual and just what my stomach was needing as we had partied pretty hard the night before(Thursday).

My younger sister had pizza and soda at the reception hall since everyone had offered to help her set it up post rehearsal. I would say if they pay for it, that's cool and if not, as Maggie said, have one cocktail than run.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    my friend had to do her rehearsal early since the location had an actual wedding that night. So we had cocktails and appetizers instead of a full meal and it was totally fine.  The bridal party went out for mani/pedi's after that and we all had a relaxing day prior to the wedding.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Check out this site for some great RD etiquette FAQs I think as long as they are "hosting" something then it works...RD can come in all shapes and sizes ;)http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/rehearsal-dinner-etiquette.html#sthash.s2Zj2mB4.dpbs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards