Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wrong to assume?

So I found this ceremony site and I immediately got so attached I starting getting chills and teared up. Problem is, its WAYYY  out of our budget. (And we are talking JUST the ceremony site here) The loophole is that we can have the venue at half price if we do it on a Sunday. I would like to do a late afternoon wedding and still do the reception as a night event with people staying at the hotel to party it up afterward. (I also have family and friends flying in from out of town.) Here's the hitch to as how we MAY be able to get away with this on a Sunday. It would be on Sunday, September 5th. The following day is Labor Day. So can I assume that most people have Labor Day off and can get away with this? Just to give you an idea I can't think of a single person that is coming that works at a restaurant or retail shop - I know they are definately more likely to still work...

Also, is it wrong for us to monopolize our friends and family's Labor Day weekend?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wrong to assume?

• Labor Day is one of those official government holidays where all offices, banks, schools, etc are closed. You're not wrong to assume that. (The other holidays like that are Memorial Day, July 4, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year's Day.)

Some people might not be able to make it on a holiday weekend, but I think Labor Day is actually popular for weddings. I've attended Labor Day weddings. With sufficient notice (Save the dates) you should be fine.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • If people really want to come they will make the trip, regardless of it being a holiday weekend. I've attended a Labor Day weekend wedding and didn't think twice about it. But I definitely ditto Mery on sending STDs and sooner than later. You want to give your guests enough notice.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We got married on Labor Day weekend in 2008 but it was a Saturday.  I think most people view the Monday off as a good day to travel back home or get back home on Sunday and still have Monday to yourself, BUT if you really are set on that venue, I think a Sunday would be fine if most people have the next day off anyway.  It's not ideal but I don't think it's rude or bad either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wrong-assume?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf8491e-4212-4332-93f7-7c6876194266Post:57aaea85-bd68-466b-94d7-c44ebd05e5ef">Wrong to assume?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, is it wrong for us to monopolize our friends and family's Labor Day weekend?
    Posted by hwoychowski[/QUOTE]
    imo, yes. i would be very put off with it and would attend unless you were immediate family or my best friend.
  • wait, i think i misunderstood this. i read it as sunday ceremony, monday reception.

if the ceremony + reception are both on sunday, then it's ok. though i'm not personally a fan of holiday weekend weddings.
  • I would also try to check with your guests to see if they can get off labor day easily. If I look back at my guest list I think 2 people might have had labor day (and other holidays) already off and that is it.
  • I have to work Labor Day.  It is usually a no-exceptions holiday, but I could get out of it if it was a close family member or friend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wrong-assume?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf8491e-4212-4332-93f7-7c6876194266Post:92ddf847-a980-4f64-8338-5b6dbad4a8aa">Re: Wrong to assume?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it wrong to make it an evening event on a Sunday though? And expect it to be a late night where people stay at the hotel? (Got a FANTASTIC rate on a gorgeous hotel...)
    Posted by hwoychowski[/QUOTE]

No. Jewish weddings are basically always on Sundays. I had a Sunday evening wedding on a semi-holiday weekend. People didn't have to take Friday off to travel to a Saturday wedding, but most took Monday off to travel home from the Sunday wedding. Six to one, half a dozen to the other, you know?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • FWIW, My wedding is on a Sunday and will be ending at 10pm.  It's not on a holiday weekend, so I understand that people might be leaving early.
    Anniversary
  • my wedding is on the sunday of MLK weekend, and we've had a great response in terms of guests being able to come. i think we're just going to try to keep everyone in the know about timing for the evening so they can plan on leaving right after the cake cutting or something if they have to work.
  • I think it's fine, 10pm isn't really that late. I definitely wouldn't push it any later than that though. I would think most people would have it off or try to get it off in they know far enough in advance, thus the STDs. You might want to mention that's it's a late afternoon wedding though so people don't make assumptions about the time and are then surprised that it's later than they thought it would be.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I think it's foolish to assume anyone has off from work just because it's a holiday. Even people with government jobs. I have a relative that works for the postal service and although mail doesn't get delivered and the customer service offices are closed on some holidays, you'd be surprirsed how many people still have to go in to make sure the mail is still moving behind the scenes.

However, this doesn't mean you can't get away with it. Just send out those STDs and spread the word. Those who need time off from work or need to make special plans and arrangements will have time to do so.
  • I say do it!!!!

Just make sure the Save-the-Dates go out well in advance =D

Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • I think it's fine. I would probably not do a Sunday night thing if people worked Monday and it wasn't a holiday, but since MOST people will have Monday off, i think you're fine. Send out STD's well in advance so people can plan and if there are those who would rather not come on a Sunday, they won't. But even having weddings on non-holiday weekend Saturdays doesn't assure everyone will come either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Make sure that the discount actually applies to the holiday weekend Sundays.  None of the places I looked at that offered a Sunday discount offered it on Labor Day or Memorlial Day weekends. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think its totally fine.  I would lock that date up quick though.  In New Jersey, those holiday weekend dates go very quickly.  I would have no problem taking a day off for a good friend's wedding.  I've come to the point in my life where its actually nice to take a day off of work for a wonderful event.  I really don't see Sunday weddings that much differently that Friday weddings - either way, I still need to take half a day off of work.  The people that love you will be there regardless.

There may be some people that can't make it due to work or other vacation plans, but that happens with everything in life. Don't fret about it.
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Our wedding was the Sunday of Labor Day weekend 2010 and it worked out beautifully. However, it's important to take into consideration how much notice you're giving their guests and to check to see if either side of your family has standing plans. Almost all of our guests were OOT, and over half of them decided to make a full weekend out of it. Our friends with entry-level jobs with inflexible vacation time were glad they didn't have to take off work.

Oh, and we saved major $$$. Like, over $7k. Your bargaining power goes way up when you're getting married on an off-day, so if your families seem ok with it, I'd go for it.
  • Wow! What a tremendous response thank you everyone! We have only about 10-15 people or so traveling from out of town and it is all close family members of mine. The rate I have is mostly due to the fact that I work for a company that owns the hotel - so I get the rate regardless. I would never expect people to stay there or stay up late - just hope! Laughing 

Thank you again so much! And - YES - STD's will go out immediately after booking!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards