Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

F/U - catering choices

So, if I were to have a vegetarian and non-vegetarian option... which looks the most appealing?

And does this look good for a vegetarian option?

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLIS
FRESH HERBS, PARMESAN CHEESE, LEMON BUTTER SAUCE

I can post the other veggie options if you're curious.

FWIW, I hate mint, but I won't be eating it anyway.
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: F/U - catering choices

• Options
    All of it sounds too fancy for me. I'd go with chicken over fish. Some people don't like fish.
  • Options
    Wild mushroom raviolis sound great. As a meat eater, I'd be very happy with that.

Did you ever decide on the butternut squash soup?
  • Options
    Yum! they all sound so delicious. Ditto p2 on the chicken.

You had to post this at dinner time didn't you ;)
  • Options
    I love the veggie option and I think halibut is usually a safe choice as far as fish goes.  But I know a lot of people who would say chicken is a better alternative. Are you having a big wedding? Sometimes fish can come out dry if you have to make it for like 500.  I voted for the halibut by the way. :)
  • Options
    I agree with opting for a chicken choice.  I chose the chicken piccata, as it was most recognizable and sounded scrumptious!
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I voted for snapper.

Random Q: WTF is airline chicken breast? It's been a while since I've had a meal served by an airline, but I'm OK with that. :)
  • Options
    I liked the salmon option, but I'm not a big chicken person.

Out of all of the choices, I'd probably do the vegetatian option (and I'm not a vegetarian)! I love mushroom ravioli!
  • Options

I chose the chicken piccata because it came with artichokes and they make everything taste better, although I wavered between that and the salmon.

The mushroom ravoli sound scrumptous, and they are not pasta primavera (which, I hear from vegetarians, is overdone as a veg. option at weddings and boring and often bad). 

Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:165c9203-aa33-42ff-b285-9797cb90df79">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yum! they all sound so delicious. Ditto p2 on the chicken. You had to post this at dinner time didn't you ;)
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Haha, it's only 3 here! And I'm not eating until I get home from the gym, so like... 5 hours from now!

And I haven't decided on the soup yet, Jen. But I have time. I just want to decide on my entrees since I need to list them on the RSVP cards and I want them ordered... uh, ASAP.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    miss.jawright, it will only be about 80 people. I think either fish or chicken can turn out dry, but hopefully with this small of a list, it will be fine.

Opal - I know! I've never had "airline chicken breast," although I've heard of it before. I honestly don't really know what it is, but I'm also worried that people might be turned off by the name.

I was never a huge fan of salmon, so it surprises me whenever people say they would choose it.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree that chicken would probably make more people happy--I personally am not a fish person, and I voted for the chicken piccata, also.  But if my choice were between fish and mushroom ravioli, I would happily eat the ravioli, sounds delicious!
  • Options
    I would go with the chicken.. It's a better 'safe' choice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:d574e552-6d16-4ee0-af91-255dbd00925b">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought you weren't going to have any non-veggie options?  I voted for Chicken piccatta over fish.
    Posted by mag920[/QUOTE]

Originally we weren't, so I'm sort of torn. Personally, I don't want to, but I'm also nervous about being seen as "the weird vegetarian wedding we went to a few years ago." I'm sort of okay with certain fish and chicken being served (although I want to see if we can make it free range, organic chicken), but not beef, pork, lamb or veal.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Although not a veg, the mushroom raviolis sound the best to me.

The name 'airline chicken' made me wrinkle my nose.

I like fish, but none of those do anything for me. The mint stuff sounds a little odd. I voted for the last chicken option, with the white bean salad.

My 5 cents ;)
  • Options
    black cod!  okay, so i was the only one who voted on it, but it's sustainable and oily (so it keeps well), non-fishy, and, well,  miso makes everything taste better.  a lot of the other stuff dries out and tastes nasty served en masse.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the chicken piccata and the salmon sound great, and are "safe" choices IMO. Whatever you decide for the meat option, I would definitely stay away from another dish with mushrooms, since some people really don't like them.

The vegetarian option also sounds great.
    weddingcollage
  • Options
    I chose the airline chicken choice, but maybe they could leave the word "airline" out? The raviolis sound really yummy though and I'd probably get those.
  • Options
    I want to go to your wedding! If there's extra mushroom ravs, let me know and I'll eat all of them ;)
  • Options
    The mushroom ravioli sounds great, much more like an entree that you could serve everyone than the risotto you posted about the other day!

I think you'd be fine offering that to everyone, but if you opt for a non-veggie option too, personally I wouldn't serve anything else with mushrooms since you already have one entree that features mushrooms. 

For a second option, I'd offer a fish not a chicken. I know I'm in the minority HERE, but in my real-life conversations, no matter how elegant the chicken, it always comes across as the "cheap" option -- like you chose that to save money, not because it was really your first choice.

(I've also never heard of "airline chicken breast" -- what a horrible name for it! But if you do choose that, you can call it whatever you want on your response cards so I wouldn't worry about the name the restaurant gives it.)
  • Options
    The most popular meal choice at our wedding was the atlantic salmon, and that was over a beef dish. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:2ef47d2d-b80e-4113-8a6a-5ce05df22b51">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE] (I've also never heard of "airline chicken breast" -- what a horrible name for it! But if you do choose that, you can call it whatever you want on your response cards so I wouldn't worry about the name the restaurant gives it.)
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

haha!!  I was thinking the same thing!!
  • Options
    airline chicken breast means part of the wing is left on so it's a bigger piece of meat.  if you pick that option, "hotel cut" is the other correct term and might sound less... dry?
  • Options
    That veggie option looks yummy! As far as a meat dish, I think the chicken piccata sounds the most appetizing.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:ff574d03-3b0b-405f-b807-7133dfb1cf87">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]airline chicken breast means part of the wing is left on so it's a bigger piece of meat.  if you pick that option, "hotel cut" is the other correct term and might sound less... dry?
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

I swear I was about to google it, but thanks!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I like the Piccata or the Atlantic Salmon, but they all sound great.

The only thing I would add is that I would stay away from anything with mushrooms in the second option.  I know a lot of (stupid, IMHO) people that hate mushrooms.  I think it's a common food that people avoid.  If you are doing mushroom rav, I'd avoid them on the other option.  

But I also think you could get away with two veggie options and not be "that weird veggie wedding."
  • Options
    It was a toss-up for me between the salmon and the chicken with the warm Tuscan white bean salad. The salmon appeals to me more, but the chicken seems to "fit" better with the mushroom ravioli, KWIM?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:c3249ca2-0eeb-4848-9056-bda6f4d1f21f">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the Piccata or the Atlantic Salmon, but they all sound great. The only thing I would add is that I would stay away from anything with mushrooms in the second option.  I know a lot of (stupid, IMHO) people that hate mushrooms.  I think it's a common food that people avoid.  If you are doing mushroom rav, I'd avoid them on the other option.   But I also think you could get away with two veggie options and not be "that weird veggie wedding."
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I am a mushroom hater. :D
  • Options
    I am not a vegetarian at all, however the mushroom ravioli sounds delicious.  I chose the last chicken entree because of the bean salad.  I would not chose airline chicken just because many people will have the same reaction we all did.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:7d786cc8-8918-4cfa-a460-299216431da9">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: F/U - catering choices : I am a mushroom hater. :D
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

<div>See, you people are everywhere :P  It's the texture, right?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-catering-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f4cbe7f-6238-40db-85ca-cc3d6711be63Post:e69ea44e-bded-49d4-afde-00457734c620">Re: F/U - catering choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]All of it sounds too fancy for me. I'd go with chicken over fish. Some people don't like fish.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am not a super picky eater, but every single one of those options I wouple be avoiding at least a portion of what was on my plate. I also don't like seafood.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards