New York-New York City

What to plan for our guests while we take picturs

We have approximately 1.5 hours between the end of our ceremony and the start of our cocktail hour/reception, during this time we plan to take pictures. Any suggestions on what we can do for our guests during this time?  I've thought of arranging for a bus tour as most are out of town guests, but I'm not sure if this will be $$$.  I want to be able to transport the guests, but also don't want them sitting at the reception site for an hour until everything begins!  Help please!!

Re: What to plan for our guests while we take picturs

• edited December 2011
    I think you should consider moving the ceremony back or the cocktail hour forward.  Cocktail hour is the perfect distraction for guests during picture taking.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Pink.  1.5 hour gap in the city is no fun for anyone. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our ceremony time isn't flexible as we have the last possible time.  Do you think an hour is OK?  I'm seeing about moving the reception time up, but I don't want it ending tooo early.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    An hour with absolutely nothing to do before a cocktail hour?  I dunno, seems lame to me- I feel like a cocktail hour is already a time killer before the real fun gets started.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    If your reception ends early then you can just go after party someplace else.  It's just a pain for guests to have time to kill between the ceremony and reception.  Especially since they're all OOT. 
  • edited December 2011
    how far apart are your ceremony site and reception venue?  i was stressing about the amount of time too until i realized that with traffic, it would realistically take at least 20 minutes for guests to get from one destination to the other, so that hour would be cut in half which wouldn't be too bad.  we don't want to have our pictures taken before the ceremony so this was our only option because we couldn't change our cocktail hour start time.  you don't want to feel rushed for your pictures so i would see if you can move your cocktail hour forward a bit or just plan on arriving a bit late for it!
    Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know about the cocktail hour being a time killer; especially if you are having a seated dinner, it's a nice time before the dancing portion of the reception for guests to mingle and get comfortable.  But I digress...

If, depending on distance from ceremony to reception, the wait will be an hour, then I'd definitely look to move it up a little bit.  However, if the reception is in the city, oot won't mind waiting 30-45 minutes, as they can always stroll the neighborhood.  My reception will start about an hour or so after the ceremony, but there'll be some travel time.  However, if guests want to or still get to the venue too early, they will be allowed in and given soft drinks, but no real food/alcohol will be servced until the official hour starts.  Maybe you can do something like that.

Also, as someone else said, no worries if you push everything up and the reception ends early - not every party has to go into the wee hours.  If you still want to hang out with some guests or family members, then you can go to some spot afterwards and do so.  GL.
  • MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Are your ceremony and reception at the same place? If so, then yes - an hour and a half with nothing to do is too long.  But if they have to travel, it is fine.  They will need time to get there, and they can find something to do to occupy them in the meantime. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I think we need a little more information.  We had 1 1/2 hours between ceremony and reception, but both were adjacent to Rockefeller center and close to the hotels.  On the back of our ceremony program we had "nearby attractions" and included tourist attractions, bars, etc. that were within walking distance.  No complaints, and some even came late to the cocktail hour because they were having fun exploring.
  • edited December 2011
    oh, and I think that a bus tour is in the 1k ballpark
  • edited December 2011
    The ceremony is at St. Patrick's Cathedral and the reception is at W Union Sqare, so not next to eachother but not too far.  The ceremony is at 4 and should last approimatley 1 hour, but I'm thinking by the time we all exit the church it may be like 5:15ish.  The W is moving it up to 6:30- but can't do 6.  Our wedding is around 100 guests, mostly family and very close friends, so for the most part people who are there are extreamly close to us, so I think they will understand having a little down time.  I want them to feel "taken care of" while we are off taking pictures.  Since it's in the city, in November (dark and questionable weather) I wanted enough time to be able to go to different venues for pictures and still be able to make it to the cocktail reception for even just a little while.  My side of the family is all originally from NYC so they are familiar and I think would enjoy wondering, and my fiance's family is from Cali so I think they wouldn't mind exploring.

I was thinking of having everyone being able to gather at Under Bar which is at the W and have drink tickets for everyone....

Since everyone is so helpful with this post, anyone have suggestions for "classy" DJ's?
  • edited December 2011
    The drink tickets would be if we didn't do a tour and just considered the time "down time" for them.
  • edited December 2011
    We had our wedding at St. Pats. THere is sooo much to do in the area, that it will be a piece of cake for folks to entertain themselves, especially if you provide some suggestions.  The drink voucher idea is a good one, too!
  • edited December 2011
    ooohhh drink tickets, i like it!  that is a great idea.  as others have said, i'm sure that there is tons of stuff to do in the area so if you didn't do drink tix i doubt anyone would complain.

we are going to be using DJ Gaza (Gary).  i heard a recommendation for him, asked for references and got a ton of emails from his clients saying how fabulous he was.  he seems very professional and non-cheesy, which is exactly what we were looking for.
    Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    p.s. i should also mention that after a nice phone conversation with him he promptly mailed me 5 demo cds which i am still listening to in my car!  :)
    Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards