Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Afternoon vs. Evening

Is 5 o'clock afternoon or evening?  I am trying to figure out wording for invitations and when googling I have come up with both answers...

Thanks!

Re: Afternoon vs. Evening

• Options
    I'd say 5:00 is afternoon, 6:00 is evening.
  • Options
    I tend to think of 5 as evening, but I don't really think either one is wrong. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_afternoon-vs-evening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7493e5ac-60bb-4497-8cd9-a9b10b62dcf1Post:399eb278-a1b9-4fdf-8c61-efa70f1fd323">Re: Afternoon vs. Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]Evening begins at 6:00 PM.  It is not necessary to put either "afternoon" or "evening" on your invitations.  <strong>Just put "five o'clock".</strong>  People will know that your wedding is not at 5:00 AM!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is what we did.  Well we have put half after five o'clock but same difference.  People seemed to understand that it was PM not AM...Just drop the afternoon or evening and make it easier on yourself.  I think you would only need to clarify if, for example, it was for whatever reason at 5 in the morning.

</div>
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    I think of 5 pm as evening. Although I might be more inclined to think of 5pm as afternoon in the summer when it's still absolutely light out. Either way, I'd leave it out. As pps said, no one is going to think your wedding is at 5 in the morning lol.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_afternoon-vs-evening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7493e5ac-60bb-4497-8cd9-a9b10b62dcf1Post:e78501ca-3b6c-4c0a-8547-9331a4305428">Re: Afternoon vs. Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Afternoon vs. Evening : This is what we did.  Well we have put half after five o'clock but same difference.  People seemed to understand that it was PM not AM...Just drop the afternoon or evening and make it easier on yourself.  I think you would only need to clarify if, for example, it was for whatever reason at 5 in the morning.
    Posted by pzavecz[/QUOTE]

<div>There actually was someone who came around for a bit who was wanting to do a sunrise wedding on the side of a mountain or some kind of nonsense that would require her guests to get up at like 4 AM and hike in the dark to the wedding site.  I don't recommend anyone do this.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_afternoon-vs-evening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7493e5ac-60bb-4497-8cd9-a9b10b62dcf1Post:3f0d9a33-fb79-4045-b945-aee834580305">Re: Afternoon vs. Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Afternoon vs. Evening : There actually was someone who came around for a bit who was wanting to do a sunrise wedding on the side of a mountain or some kind of nonsense that would require her guests to get up at like 4 AM and hike in the dark to the wedding site.  I don't recommend anyone do this.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>One of my friends just went to a wedding like this.  And they had to stay in unheated cabins... with strangers... She thought it was "so unique", but honestly, I would have said HELL NO

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_afternoon-vs-evening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7493e5ac-60bb-4497-8cd9-a9b10b62dcf1Post:3f0d9a33-fb79-4045-b945-aee834580305">Re: Afternoon vs. Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Afternoon vs. Evening : There actually was someone who came around for a bit who was wanting to do a sunrise wedding on the side of a mountain or some kind of nonsense that would<strong> require her guests to get up at like 4 AM and hike in the dark to the wedding site.</strong>  I don't recommend anyone do this.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>Yikes.  That sounds like a fun wedding...  Yeah, I don't recommend anyone do that either.  I guess some people will do it anyway, regardless of how uncomfortable their guests would feel.  :|   What if someone broke an ankle or something on the way to the wedding?!  Hiking in my heels in my nice clothes at the crack of dawn in the dark sounds awful!  Did the person end up doing the wedding at that time?  </div><div>
    </div>
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    It is afternoon and Cranes, etc. say to write out in the afternoon or in the evening. 

You can call if old fashioned or invented by the engravers who charge by the letter. )

We used it because it was a formal wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards