Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank Yous to an entire office??

So, I'd been kind of hush-hush about my engagement and didn't really tell a whole lot of people at work. Not because I didn't want anyone to know, but because I'm not really much for being in the spotlight, nor am I really one to call attention to myself. And besides, this is an office setting, not a social club. So, while a couple of the coworkers I'm closest to know, I'd only been telling others when they noticed the ring (I work in an office full of men. Most of them hadn't noticed, haha!).

Well, somehow, the cat was let out of the bag -- someone told someone else, who told my manager, and he circulated a card that almost everyone signed. Inside this very nice card was a gift card to a fancy, expensive restaurant in our area.

My question is... well... how do I send a thank you to like, 30 people? Typically I'd never DREAM of sending a "thank you" email, but it seems impractical to write an actual card to every single person (especially when I am not sure if they all contributed to the gift card or if it was just a gift from the office, purchased by my manager). What is protocol here? Should I thank each person verbally?

In the past when we've done cards/gifts for other people's big occasions (weddings, babies, etc.), we either didn't get thank yous or the thank you was directed just at the office staff (myself, my supervisor, and my manager) who are typically the facilitators of the card circulation. Is that the right thing to do or were the other people missing the mark?

HELP. Please and thank you! :))

Re: Thank Yous to an entire office??

• kateguess22kateguess22 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Here's an idea: Send a short thank you e-mail to everyone that says:

I want to thank everyone so much for the gift for Sam & I. It means so much to me that you thought of us and I truly appreciate it. Please be sure to stop by the break room today when you get a chance. I have a little treat for you!

Then, bake a few batches of brownies or cookies or something that you like to bake and put it out for everyone to enjoy with a handwritten card from you and your fiance beside the brownies that again expresses your appreciation.
  • I'd send a written thank-you to the office staff, since that seems to be the custom in your office, and then I might consider sending a thank-you email to everyone who signed the card, since I would want to acknowledge them in some way.  I don't know if this is etiquette-approved, but when it comes to work stuff, I think it's fine to go with the general office culture.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thank-yous-entire-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74f94898-44dd-4a35-9261-d30bd401d4acPost:a164a69f-3c89-4844-b373-b0871715d26a">Re: Thank Yous to an entire office??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's an idea: Send a short thank you e-mail to everyone that says: I want to thank everyone so much for the gift for Sam & I. It means so much to me that you thought of us and I truly appreciate it. Please be sure to stop by the break room today when you get a chance. I have a little treat for you! Then, bake a few batches of brownies or cookies or something that you like to bake and put it out for everyone to enjoy with a handwritten card from you and your fiance beside the brownies that again expresses your appreciation.
    Posted by kateguess22[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think this is asbolutely PERFECT! 

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the email and the baked goods idea is perfect! Baked goods always go over well!
  • Agreed. Baked goodies are perfect for saying thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thank-yous-entire-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:74f94898-44dd-4a35-9261-d30bd401d4acPost:a164a69f-3c89-4844-b373-b0871715d26a">Re: Thank Yous to an entire office??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's an idea: Send a short thank you e-mail to everyone that says: I want to thank everyone so much for the gift for Sam & I. It means so much to me that you thought of us and I truly appreciate it. Please be sure to stop by the break room today when you get a chance. I have a little treat for you! Then, bake a few batches of brownies or cookies or something that you like to bake and put it out for everyone to enjoy with a handwritten card from you and your fiance beside the brownies that again expresses your appreciation.
    Posted by kateguess22[/QUOTE]

I think that this is a great idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards