Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'm just curious...

After reading the cash bar post below, I was wondering...

How many of you had an open bar? Or none at all?

if neither, what did you do?

Re: I'm just curious...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-just-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:779cc9f3-01a6-4387-81ac-0259786abcf5Post:1158ef21-e7d4-41c9-afd5-07d071838574">Re: I'm just curious...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm just curious... : I know what you are saying, but I really don't think it is going to be an issue. I mean, most people have the decency to sit through a speech politely. I also think most people hit the bar just as dinner starts and get their drinks ready so they can sit an enjoy the meal. However, it would just be tough for guests to not be able to get a drink if they need one, and very confusing. Possible solution: your venue should be providing table side cocktail service if they are going to shut the bar.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTEW]

While I think that's a great idea I don't think we can afford that.  We're already stretched pretty thin and I don't really want to compromise on the other partial open bar bit. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    We will have an open bar for 1.5 hours before dinner, and 4 hours after dinner. But the bar is closed during dinner and speeches. Wine on tables.
  • Options
    Open bar with beer, wine, and soft drinks.  Liquor drinks were not offered.
  • Options
    Full open bar, wine at each table, and a frozen maragarita machine.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

full premium open bar with frozen drinks. that's pretty much the standard for most venues around here.

• Options
    There was wine with brunch and a non-alcoholic punch.  That was it.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    We had an open bar.  anything you could possibly want to drink, they had or could make.  Except Vernors.  We had my brother ship some out to us :) Oh and a certain beer that DH wanted. He's a beer snob though, and I stocked our suite's fridge with it.
    We had some pretty drunk people, but no one made a fool of themselves.  Well, not unti lthe after party :)

I don't really care if its cash bar or open bar.  In my circle though, open bars are the norm.  I would want some notice that its a cash bar though so I could bring cash.  Not sure how that would be done and not look odd though...
  • Options
    We are having an open bar for the cocktail hour and first two hours of the reception.  Dinner is a closed bar.  Then it's a cash bar after those first two hours.  Maybe I'm a terrible person for it's what we can afford.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you are a terrible person but I went to a wedding in December where they did this and I was not a happy camper.  I had no clue the open bar was ending until I went up and ordered a refill and they tried to charge me.  I had no cash on me and had stood in line for 10 minutes for naught.  My friend and I ended up stealing one of the wine bottles set aside for the BMs (yet another annoyance I had).  If there's any way you can let guests know in advance that the bar will be closing that would help at least a little bit.

We're doing a full open bar (not premium, but decent stuff) from 6-7 and 8-12 with an hour break for dinner (during which time wine will be served).  We had the choice of doing consumption-based or per person and opted for the latter since we have heavy drinkers.
  • Options
    We had a full open bar from 6pm to 12:30am, wine service during dinner, and a special champagne bar. We loaded our guests up with drinks ;)
  • Options
    Prepare your livers, we are having a six hour premium open bar reception.  Yowzers.  FWIW we are only serving beer and wine at the rehearsal dinner.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    Im glad to see that some people have done at least a partial cash bar for some portion of the night, since we may be doing the same.
    Thanks for all the responses!
  • Options
    Full open bar with well liquors.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    open bar and then cutting off liquor around 11. then we'll just have the keg for the rest of the night.  
  • Options
    we had a cash bar.  right or wrong, everyone we know has had one for the most part.  we knew our guests would want booze, we couldnt afford it, so we at least gave them the optoin to purchase it on their own if they wanted it.  with the crowd we had, we would have spent probably $3K just on booze - that was more than our meal.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are doing open bar. But personally, when I attend a wedding without open bar, I appreciate having cash bar available for people like me who like to have a drink or two before hitting the dance floor. I don't find it offensive that I have to pay.

So many times I see posts like "don't make your guests open their wallets at your wedding" and I think that's a little ridiculous. Although open bar is a very nice gesture, I think most people understand that not all couples can afford it. Most people like to have the option to buy a drink rather than having a dry wedding.
  • Options
    We're going to have an open beer and wine bar
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Full open Bar.  you are inviting people as your guests and shouldnt expect them to pay.  Even if you dont drink you should have at least free wine and beer for those people who do/choose to drink.  If you can't afford to have open bar or at least wine/beer then cut back on something else.  Your guests arent going to remember the flowers, the bubbles, or personalized whatever (no matter how nice these things are) but they do remember if they ate/drank well.  Food and drink is never something to skimp on.  People go to a wedding expecting to eat and drink like champs.  All of the complaints i have heard about wedding are about the food and if it was a cash bar.  Try to work your budget so you can have good food and open bar and your guests will love your wedding.

Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • Options
    We are going to do an open bar for cocktail hour prior to dinner then go to complimentary beer, wine and our signature cocktail (White Cosmo) for the remaining portion of the evening. If anyone wishes to have an alternate cocktail than what is provided once dinner begins than it is cash bar.
    The future Mrs. Darling
  • Options
    We'll be doing open bar, even though our wedding is pretty low-budget, informal otherwise... I'm a drinker, though, so it's not a real party to me unless people can have a cocktail.
  • Options
    well here in Nebraska, we pay for a keg during "cocktail" hour, which doesn't exist in small town America. after that if you want to drink yourself into oblivion- go ahead, but as the BRIDE it's MY DAY, I'm NOT paying for it! i hope all my guests enjoy themselves, but we are used to paying for things ourselves. paying for drinks is not unusual for us. why would you cut from your budget to get others intoxicated?
  • Options
    His parents are paying for the open bar tab.
  • Options
    My reception venue has a VERY stocked bar because it is a non-private golf course and restaurant. I can't afford an open bar so I'm hosting beer and wine. I wasn't even able to consider a dry wedding by the venue because they insist on keeping the bar available to guests. It's a good thing I am ok with that! And I'm sure my guests are too.

I am also ok with paying for drinks at weddings. It takes a couple before I have the guts to go dance anyway. =)
  • Options
    We're having a full premium open bar for our wedding because it is included in our venues package. We're also having a champagne fountain for cocktail hour which we added for $2.75 per person.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ours isn't in a reception hall, so it is DIY.  We are having the ceremony on a 4 hour sail, so we'll probably do just wine and champagne for that . I'm not 100% decided on that.  Then we'll have a bbq reception/after party so for that we'll have beer(keg), wine and probably one or two signature drinks.  

I agree with some of the posters - I'd rather have a cash bar than no alcohol at a wedding.  It doesn't offend me at all.  We're big drinkers, so we're definitely budgeting as much as possible for alcohol, but I don't expect everyone to be like us.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are doing beer and wine only. We can't afford an open bar, and our reception is at lunch time.

We will be serving inexpensive red and white wine and Miller Lite.
  • Options
    we're doing a super small reception of 12 people so open bar is a no brainer.  However the after party at home for all our friends will have a keg of Yuengling beer & rum & vodka & bourbon & 1 metric crap-ton of mixers.  It's more affordable for us this way & we don't have to cut anyone from the guest list.
  • Options

We selected our favorite wine from a local vineyard, and along with champagne for toasting, that will be the only alcohol at our reception. We thought it would be nice to use something local, since most of our guests are coming from out of town.  Also, the wine won't raise any eyebrows with our family members that are very religious.   

• Options
    bpage3bpage3 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    We are having open wine/beer just because it's a Sunday wedding (wanted to keep same date as engagement) and did not want to encourage some nasty Monday a.m. hangovers, plus we have to provide our own bartender and alcohol so it was much easier this way. + toast
  • Options

We're having full open beer & wine, as well as a champagne toast. FI and I like to brew our own beer and wine, so we will have a very small cost for alcholic beverages. If you have any friends who are into brewing or wine making, you might ask them if they'd be interested in making you some. We've been practicing for about 2-3 years now, and our final product has been quite tasty lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards