Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cute or Weird?

Bridesmaids in skirts instead of dresses? I was thinking a full skirt like this:

The shirts would be less casual than the one pictured here. I was thinking more along the lines of a silk blouse tucked into the skirt, maybe something like this:

What are your thoughts?

Re: Cute or Weird?

• Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I think it depends on the formality of your wedding. Is it more casual?

ETA - I really like the skirt; it's adorable. I don't like the blouse. I actually think that the tank top looks better with the skirt than the blouse would!
  • Options
    I like the skirt. Not so much the shirt. I think it would be fine to have them wear skirts/shirts instead of a dress---but it depends on how formal or informal your wedding is going to be, IMO. More formal? I'd go with dresses. Less formal? Skirts would be cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I dont like that, at all.
  • Options
    gotta say I'm not a fan. sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    I think this could be cute if its an informal wedding! 
  • Options
    It would only work if you wore a SUPER casual dress.  If you're wearing a more traditional gown, then you should do something more fancy.

ps - there were too many choices and I didn't vote.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Is an informal day wedding? Then yes. Though make the shirt a neutral color.

Otherwise... go with a dress
  • Options
    It will be more on the casual end. We had been planning on doing a backyard wedding and I really want a short wedding dress. Right now, we might just throw all that out the window though and just have it at a restaurant. The details are up in the air, but FI doesn't want to wear anything more formal than a suit and I want a short dress and neither of us want anything more than semi-formal at the most.
  • Options
    Check my bio for the bridesmaids gowns.  They were cream silk tops with the long plaid skirt,  blue, green and a line of pink on a cream back.  They were formal
  • Options
    I would not do it personally, and I don't like the polka dots. However, if you had them in a matching shirt/skirt (so it looked like a dress) and they could wear them separately after, it could be okay.  But I think even a casual dress is a better bet.
  • Options
    I think it would be harder to fit a skirt and shirt to a wide range of sizes than it would be to find a flattering dress for all of them.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I LOVE the skirt (where is it from?) the blouse however, I hate. I think its a great idea for a very casual wedding
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cute-weird-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7b2d252c-c61a-4fc7-8f4f-6cdd92c229ddPost:f9a90356-f45e-43b7-ad8e-75beb919163c">Re: Cute or Weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would be harder to fit a skirt and shirt to a wide range of sizes than it would be to find a flattering dress for all of them.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

Good point. I didn't think about that. I was thinking a skirt would be easier to rewear because it could be dressed up or down, but it might be hard to find a flattering style.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cute-weird-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7b2d252c-c61a-4fc7-8f4f-6cdd92c229ddPost:a95d5a52-0fc1-4b04-bbdc-b9274039976d">Re: Cute or Weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the skirt (where is it from?) the blouse however, I hate. I think its a great idea for a very casual wedding
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

It is from Lands' End of all places.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/CottonLawnSkirt~206508_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::EIQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00017__0000002209&origin=index">http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/CottonLawnSkirt~206508_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::EIQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00017__0000002209&origin=index</a>
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    I just Googled "bridesmaid skirt" and found this picture. I think it's really cute and looks like a dress, but is more informal.

• Options
    Ahh I want it. $60 is too much today though
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cute-weird-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7b2d252c-c61a-4fc7-8f4f-6cdd92c229ddPost:d2541588-4d1c-4ec8-87ba-c2a0efaf1d6b">Re: Cute or Weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just Googled "bridesmaid skirt" and found this picture. I think it's really cute and looks like a dress, but is more informal.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize those were skirts! I googled the same thing and saw the thumbnail of the picture and thought it was a mistake because it looked like dresses. Those are really cute though.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cute-weird-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7b2d252c-c61a-4fc7-8f4f-6cdd92c229ddPost:707d2737-71c4-43a4-9d0b-e50e10bfefbe">Re: Cute or Weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cute or Weird? : I didn't realize those were skirts! I googled the same thing and saw the thumbnail of the picture and thought it was a mistake because it looked like dresses. Those are really cute though.
    Posted by felicity and reverie[/QUOTE]

They are! But, it would also depend on your girls' body types. I would personally feel self-conscious in a pencil skirt, but others may not. Have you checked out JCrew? They have some not-so-fancy dresses.
  • Options
    I like the skirt but that blouse isn't the greatest.

I like the idea of the tank top, with some cute jewelry.
    Photobucket
  • Options

I think the casual non-matching top looks awesome with the skirt.

• Options
    I'm like brie, I know that a skirt like that would not flatter me, and finding a skirt that flatters a variety of body types would be harder than a dress.
  • Options
    I think it's okay, but just FYI, some places, like Alfred Angelo, have BM separates. You can have the girls wear the same skirt and different tops if you'd like.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I just bought the skirt--so cute!

For a really casual wedding, the skirt would be cute, but definitely with a different top.  I think in the end, a dress will just be easier.
  • Options
    I think the skirt would be really cute for a casual wedding. I don't really like the shirt though, I would probably try to find something else to go with the skirt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's a cute idea, but I would pick a different shirt.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it's a super cute idea (do not like the shirt at all though).  Like PPs, I think it would be awesome for a casual wedding.  I think a printed skirt with tank tops that are all either white or black, or a matching skirt with different coloured tank tops would be really cool.

That said, I love skirts, so I might be biased...

• Options
    Cute in theory.  Really tough to make it work.  I'd want all my hair for the wedding, and I'm sure I'd pull a bunch out trying to make this happen. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I don't really care for the shirt, however the skirt idea is a great idea!  It is definitely different, not seen a lot...
  • Options
    DB has separates. Different tops (since some might want more coverage) and skirt. In the catalog they gave me, they look like dresses.
    planning

• Options
    siorsolassiorsolas member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I actually really like it for an informal wedding! A cute skirt and top would be re-wearable, and I think it would be easier to find something that fits (considering that women so often have a larger bottom or top, and will need to get one or the other altered - here, they can buy the right size in each)..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards