Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Parents Gifts

Do we need to buy our parents gifts like we would for our attendents?

Re: Parents Gifts

• Options
    Its nice to do a thank you gift.  They're your parents, afterall.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    what she said. ESPECIALLY if they're paying for any part of your big day.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    We didn't.  We're paying for their albums, but I had mentioned something about gifts to my parents and they were insistent that we didn't get them anything.  But I also know that they're pretty sentimental and that the album means a ton to them.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We are... I'm getting my parents each something separate (not divorced yet, but we can tell it's coming), and we're getting something for FH's parent's too.

I know what I want to do for my dad already - I want to have a shadowbox with a few fishing pictures of us.  One of him holding up a full stringer of fish longer than me on the dock when I was 2, and another with me holding the stringer of crappies from when I was 16. 

Since it's a shadowbox, I'm thinking of putting in the rapala I used when we caught the ones from when I was 16.  It's had the crap beaten out of it (we must have caught more than 100 fish just that weekend!), and probably woudn't make it if I tried to actually fish with it.

Not sure how to approach it with my mom yet.  We have always had similar personalities, but never similar interests... but I'll probably be able to put something similar together.  Maybe school-related, since we graduated from the same university.
  • Options
    I think we are going to give them a framed wedding picture.  My parents have everything they could possibly want.  My dad is the type who wants a GPS and the buys it for himself 5 days before Christmas!  Yes, that was a scramble for me to get him something else.  My mom isn't as bad, but she's a close second.  That is why I am going with something safe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    We're planning to give our parents albums from the wedding (Just put a voucher or something in the thank-you card, so they know to expect it later).  However, my Dad is paying for nearly the entire wedding (parents are divorced) so we're going to do something special for him and give it to him privately - Just haven't decided what yet.
  • Options
    We are getting gifts for everyone in the bridal party (and to me that includes, parents, grandparents, flower girl, etc.) I think it shows how much you appreciate them. I personally don't care if they paid for any of the wedding, they raised me and I want to show them I care. We are giving them at the rehearsal dinner, since it will be a small gathering.

Gift Ideas -
      Dads - We are getting them engraved knives as they both collect knives
      Moms - We got them necklaces to match their attire for the big day
      Bridesmaids - Vera Bradley totes, embroidered with their initials and filled with beach gear (beach towel, etc). In pink and orange, the wedding colors.
      Groomsmen - Each of them will get a "sports pack" of their favorite sports teams, which includes t-shirts, mugs, hats, etc.
  • Options
    I think giving your own parents a really nice gift at the RD in front of friends and family, and then turning around and giving his parents a little something paltry is NOT a good way to kick off life with your ILs.  Consider that side of it for a moment. 

Remember - it's possible for them to support you and your FI without contributing cash.  Moral support, etc.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards