Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Physical therapy

I have to go to it. :(  My shoulder is all hurty and spasming and twisted in knots for going on the 3rd or 4th week.  I've never experienced this excruciating of pain before.  After inconclusive xrays and a run on painkillers and muscle relaxants that did not do much, my doctor is sending me to PT.

Has anyone ever done it/for what body part?  Yes wah wah I'm asking for medical insight on a message board, but I'm honestly curious what other peoples' experiences have been.  Did it help?  Make you hurt more?  Are they geniuses?  A bunch of quacks? 

Fill me in.

Re: Physical therapy

• Options
    Yes I used to go for my legs when I was much younger. It helped to a degree They will most likely give you a bunch of exercises to use at home on your own time to work on it also.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My H had to do physical therapy for about 6 months or so after he had surgery on both of his knees.  We both loved his PT.   She was great, easy to work with, and made him feel comfortable.  It was painful for sure, especially when they were working on getting his range of motion back, but after a while they would just tell him what exercises to do and he would do them and go home.  They aren't quacks at all, in my opinion. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've gone for my shoulder, and for my neck and back.  It helped my shoulder, didn't do much for my back.  It wasn't a pleasant experience, they do make you do some stuff that hurts a little (more like uncomfortable pain, not excruciating) and I was always a little sore after, but it was worth it in the end.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Oh, also, I didn't like my therapist, which made me dread it.  Seriously, if you don't like the PT, ASK FOR A NEW ONE.  Just like any other therapist.

• Options
    edited February 2010

My mom had PT after shoulder surgery that I believe was helpful.  I know a few people who had knee surgery, and their PT was a very important part of recovery.  I'm sure it can be beneficial even when there is no surgery needed.

ETA: Sorry you're in so much pain.  That sucks.  :-(

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_physical-therapy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d90fe23-7e26-4d4c-9660-045660f2bbefPost:dcb5809a-d85e-4fe6-9e3b-00903151478d">Re: Physical therapy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, also, I didn't like my therapist, which made me dread it.  Seriously, if you don't like the PT, ASK FOR A NEW ONE.  Just like any other therapist.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm hoping that they are nice and maybe even peppy so that I'm not afraid of them.  :)
  • Options
    Yeah mine was a serious jerk.  Anytime I couldn't physically do something, he said "So I guess you never want to swim again."  I'm sorry, I'm a 15 year old girl, that might work for men, but not for me.  It just made me want to cry.

My PT for my back was super nice and awesome and I loved her.  So I hope yours rocks too!  Also, if you feel like something isn't working or something makes you hurt more (a certain amount is to be expected and sometimes it's hard to tell what's good pain and what isn't) make sure you're communicating that with them.  They'll have a better idea of it it should be doing that or not. 

• Options
    One of my close friends is mere weeks away from graduating PT school, and I called her and told her she should come be my doctor!  Too bad North Dakota isn't really on my part of the map.

I am optimistic about it, so I guess that's a good first step...
  • Options
    I went to PT for sciatica when I was pregnant.  When I first started I could barely walk my pain was so bad, but within a week it started to feel better and within in 2 or 3 weeks I stopped going because I got an idea of the exercise and motions they wanted me to do. 

I also used to get PT while I was diving for my back, shoulders, knees....all that good stuff.  I loved the hot treatments and the treatments where they put the electro patches on you. 

Don't be afraid to tell them if something hurts........there's good hurt and bad hurt.  And don't feel bad if some exercises make you feel like a 3 year old learning to throw a ball - usually by the end of the session you can kind of understand where they are going with the exercises and PT.

Did you have a specific injury?  Or did you just wake up to it hurting one day? 
  • Options
    I've had it a couple of times for my back/sacroiliac joints, and it didn't help at all. Probably because of the underlying cause of the pain, but both times the therapist was great. Very supportive, and seemed almost as discouraged as I was about the lack of progress.
  • Options
    Stacks, that's the strangest part of it all.  I have no idea where it came from.  At first I noticed it as a little bit of tightness in my shoulder blade, but attributed it to just stress from the holidays and traveling and being busy at work, the usual "ahh I need a good backrub" stuff.  Then 2 weeks ago I simply did wake up and realized oh, I could barely move, sweet. 

It has also spread to manifesting in my arm; when I sit on a hard chair or in certain positions even on a soft surface, pain goes shooting down my arm and my fingers get sorta numb.  So there's definitely some nerves involved, whether on their own or if a bulging disk is aggravating them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_physical-therapy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d90fe23-7e26-4d4c-9660-045660f2bbefPost:e8d51438-df9e-4b86-9fbe-16be2ee45e73">Re: Physical therapy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had it a couple of times for my back/sacroiliac joints, and it didn't help at all. Probably because of the underlying cause of the pain, but both times the therapist was great. Very supportive, and seemed almost as discouraged as I was about the lack of progress.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

I have SI issues too.  It's the worst.

• Options
    Yea, it definitely sounds like there's a pinch going on in there somewhere.  They'll probably do A LOT of things involving range of motion and strength with the big bands.

My freshman year in HS I got my first pair of heels for Christmas (I was a total tomboy) and while wearing them for the first time I tripped on some stairs during a classroom change at school (luckily NOBODY saw it) and I caught myself with the stair rail and only ended up going down about 3 steps.  I did everything but rip my shoulder out of my socket.  I still have issues with that arm to this day.  Shoulder injuries are awful.  I feel for you.
  • Options
    I've been for a torqued SI joint (last winter)- there's a PT department here and I liked my therapist. I fell off the bike several times, plus the ATV crash, and that messed it up. It still flares up. I have a TENS unit now, and some exercises to help it.

I also went after my hand/wrist surgery, so I'd regain full use, I suppose (they cut a tendon from the palm and removed some cysts from my wrist).  I did NOT like the exercises, because they hurt, but that's because I was a weenie. I did like the warming up - she either wrapped it in warm damp towels and put this heat thing on it, or put it in a warm sand thing or a paraffin dip, so everything was loose.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Ouch, I hope that whatever happens at PT you get your shoulder taken care of. I had a bout of PT many years ago after an embarrassingly horrific incident involving my right leg and an open manhole. I'm sorry to say I never felt like it helped and I did, at the time, suspect they were quacks. But, for full disclosure, I had no insurance at the time and they were the only people who would see me, so it could have been just a matter of poor quality service. Good luck!
  • Options
    I went for both of my arms , my ankle and my groin area, and my legs lol. I played soccer in highschool so I was always at physial theraphy. It helped me alot they made me do band exercises, using the ball against the wall exercises for my back & numerous exercises . It will help in the long run. Just keep up with the exercises at home and stuff they really do help.

I hope you get better!
  • Options
    I went for my knee.  They did a lot of the electro patches mostly, with stretches for me to do at home.  Easy, felt weird, but worked.  I haven't worn a knee brace for anything - even skiing, which used to be the most painful thing - in about 3 years.  And bonus - I can latch my own ski boots now.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info guys :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_physical-therapy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d90fe23-7e26-4d4c-9660-045660f2bbefPost:58c18044-4807-4235-9378-7a9320bb5437">Re: Physical therapy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stacks, that's the strangest part of it all.  I have no idea where it came from.  At first I noticed it as a little bit of tightness in my shoulder blade, but attributed it to just stress from the holidays and traveling and being busy at work, the usual "ahh I need a good backrub" stuff.  Then 2 weeks ago I simply did wake up and realized oh, I could barely move, sweet.  It has also spread to manifesting in my arm; when I sit on a hard chair or in certain positions even on a soft surface, pain goes shooting down my arm and my fingers get sorta numb.  So there's definitely some nerves involved, whether on their own or if a bulging disk is aggravating them.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

I had similar shoulder pain (and had PT for the shoulder).  My doctor did an angiogram (where they inject an isotpe into the ball and socket joint and then do an MRI).  Turns out I had a torn labrum in my should.  Decided I didn't want surgury and fixed stuff via PT.

PT can be fun, the massage-y warm compress part. 
  • Options
    I strained my rotator cuff 2 years ago. I spent 2 months in PT and it felt great until I stopped going. I still have problems with it and have to do exercises a couple times a week to keep it in line.

Good luck though!
  • Options
    Ouch.

My momma does massage but also does pt with certain patients. When my dad injured his hand (injured is putting it lightly, he almost lost 4 fingers) he opted to have my mom do his pt instead of the hospital pt. When he went in after 6 months for a checkup the doctor was amazed at his progress. It took another year but he can now use chopsticks again :)

I second getting a new pt if you don't like/get along with the first one assigned. You have to trust what they are doing to your body and if you don't get along you can't do that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yes for my left shoulder this past summer ( I lifted a 35 pound bag into my car trunk and did it wrong and then I was in horrible pain for weeks!), I went for 8 weeks and it worked!! No problems, they usually put heat, massage (which is nice!!), you may do some exercises, then they put ice, they may also electrocute you hehehe but it's no big deal. Whatever they did it works and the pain is gone so I say go for it!!!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards