Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?

Two Thousand and Ten
or Twenty Ten???????????

Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?

• Options
    Two thousand ten.  No "and".
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I would say two thousand ten.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everything on the Knot says two thousand and ten, as well as all the samples on Wedding Paper Divas.  We are using two thousand and ten, even though it sounds wrong.

(Not that the Knot is infallible.)
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I also used Two Thousand and Ten. I'm not sure it really matters between the two.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    I would put "two thousand ten" without the "and" because you don't usually say "and" when you say 2010. 
  • Options
    I'm shocked that TK and other wedding websites are including the "and" in "two thousand ten."  That's simply grammatically incorrect.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_correct-way-say-2010-wedding-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8016446f-c593-41de-a09f-2b0c599ba09ePost:197dc270-395d-473a-8b14-8d201093c444">Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm shocked that TK and other wedding websites are including the "and" in "two thousand ten."  That's simply grammatically incorrect.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]
    Yes this.  It's always stunned me.

Gramatically speaking the "and" denotes a decemial point ("Two thousand and ten" is written 2,000.10) so using it is incorrect.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Two Thousand Ten

the word "and" is not appropriate when discussing a whole number--it is to stand in place of a decimal.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    two thousand ten
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    two thousand and ten is the norm for wedding invitations (except here on the Knot, where group think has declared it wrong). Might be mathmatically incorrect, but there you have it. Sometimes you see it as two thousand ten without the and.

I've never seen twenty ten and wouldn't use that.
  • Options
    we used two thousand ten
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    "Two thousand and ten" per Crane's Wedding Blue Book.

[QUOTE]<strong>Isn't it incorrect to use "and" as in "Two thousand and one"?</strong> In mathematics "and" denotes a decimal point, and since there is no decimal point in the year "2001," it may seem incorrect to use "and." Wedding invitations, however, are not mathematical equations so the use of "and" as a decimal point is irrelevant. On wedding invitations "and" is used simply as a connective word. Source: <a href="http://www.crane.com/Etiquette.aspx?C=WeddingEtiquette&S=WeddingInvitation&I=Year_Line" rel="nofollow">http://www.crane.com/Etiquette.aspx?C=WeddingEtiquette&S=WeddingInvitation&I=Year_Line</a> [/QUOTE]
    planning

• Options
    JessAndTravJessAndTrav member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2010
    When saying a number, you never say "and" unless there is a decimal.

Two thousand ten = 2010
    One hundred two = 102
    Two thousand ten = 20.10

ETA: I didn't see the decimal reference when I posted this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_correct-way-say-2010-wedding-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8016446f-c593-41de-a09f-2b0c599ba09ePost:ef9508ef-1755-4805-9c17-7bd898490a49">Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]two thousand and ten is the norm for wedding invitations<strong> (except here on the Knot, where group think has declared it wrong)</strong>. Might be mathmatically incorrect, but there you have it. Sometimes you see it as two thousand ten without the and. I've never seen twenty ten and wouldn't use that.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]
    it's wrong because it is grammatically wrong, not because group think says it is. The Knot's ettiquette articles on the main website are not infallible and this is something I believe should be corrected. just because everyone else does something doesn't mean it's correct.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_correct-way-say-2010-wedding-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8016446f-c593-41de-a09f-2b0c599ba09ePost:c08f4b51-2673-4bea-a983-74b050c622ea">Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation? : it's wrong because it is grammatically wrong, not because group think says it is.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's grammatically wrong. IMO, the rules on "how to say a number" correctly should be dictated by how it'd done in math.

Numbers <em>are</em> math.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_correct-way-say-2010-wedding-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8016446f-c593-41de-a09f-2b0c599ba09ePost:c08f4b51-2673-4bea-a983-74b050c622ea">Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation? : it's wrong because it is grammatically wrong, not because group think says it is. The Knot's ettiquette articles on the main website are not infallible and this is something I believe should be corrected. just because everyone else does something doesn't mean it's correct.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Invitations don't follow typical grammar rules. There are no periods for example, and you rarely see commas. Of course I agree that you shouldn't do something just because it's tradition (like Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, which I despise and won't ever use), but if the OP wants to know the norm -- what you will find on traditional etiquette and invitation sites -- it's with the "and."
  • Options
    two housand ten.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_correct-way-say-2010-wedding-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8016446f-c593-41de-a09f-2b0c599ba09ePost:fe69ccf6-8fef-4714-ba1b-5179bc20bcb3">Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the correct way to say 2010 in wedding invitation? : Invitations don't follow typical grammar rules. There are no periods for example, and you rarely see commas. Of course I agree that you shouldn't do something just because it's tradition (like Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, which I despise and won't ever use), but if the OP wants to know the norm -- what you will find on traditional etiquette and invitation sites -- it's with the "and."
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]
    Only she didn't ask what the norm was.  She asked what was correct.  "Two Thousand And Ten" is incorrect.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    All I know is that every single published piece of writing about wedding invitations I've read (including cranes and 2 editions of Emily Post), say NOT to use and.

I've just decided it's a matter of preference.

Definitely DO NOT do "twenty ten." That's just weird.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    actually, a year is still math. it is counting the number of years since 1 AD, or the "year of our Lord" which is what AD or Anno Domini stands for, according to the Gregorian calendar used worldwide. counting = math, you learned this back in kindergarten.

• Options
    My Emily Post has two thousand and ten, actually. I noticed it recently and was pretty surprised.

So OP, I guess you have a choice between "two thousand ten" and "two thousand and ten", depending on whether you prefer to be matehamtically correct or weddingly traditional.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards