Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding website - poll

Our wedding is about 3.5 months away. I'm on the fence about making a site because they always look so cheesy, but it seems like everyone has one except us. Is this a useful thing to make?  I don't know how else to tell our guests about hotel reservations, etc. Ideas?
Scrabble high score: 531

Re: Wedding website - poll

• We had one because it was the easiest way to give hotel info and directions. Plus everyone kept asking about the menu, what they should wear, how to get to the cabin, even how H and I met. It was easier to say, "check out our website, the URL is on the invitation."

They may be a little cheesy, but they are definitely a timesaver.
  • I made one and enjoyed making it, but I don't really know that they're a must. We didn't have that many hits, and given a do-over I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the time on my hands.
  • I enjoyed setting mine up and it was helpful to guests.  I agree that it isn't a must, but it could be a good way to communicate the wedding details.
  • I feel like it's a little cheesy - but it makes communications SO much easier, esp for OOT guests.

We put a his/her story on there, and EVERYONE has said how much they like it! (it actually surprised me who commented on it)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had one and it was helpful.  We also had a card in our invitations telling guests about the hotel blocks, so if you don't want to have the website, I'd at least make sure I did that.
  • We set up a wedding website so that we don't have to include a bunch of inserts in the invitation (hotels, directions, etc). I have some extra detail about traveling to and parking at our venues, so it was definitely a must for us.

11-13-10
    Planning + Married
  • mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    When a few of my other friends got married a couple of years ago, I remember thinking that it was self-indulgent and that my friends were attention-seeking-look-at-us exhibitionists. I thought it was cheesy. I said I'd never do it. Guess who's done it? Like PP said, it's much easier to include information all in one place that guests can access and give guests from both sides that haven't met either of us a chance to get to know the bride and groom before the wedding through pictures and stories.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • We had one & I think it was helpful.  Looks like it had about 150 hits, and we invited about that many guests. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • We've already had 300 hits, and that's just from the save-the-dates.  All the hotel block information is in there, and we have a lot of OOT guests.
  • We didn't have one.  We included hotel and menu info in the invites and I really didn't have the time.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • We had one, but I really have no idea if it was useful to our guests or not.  I don't know how many of them referenced it for things or just figured out travel on their own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't have one--we sent one group email to people about hotel blocks and that was it-- most of the guests were pretty close family (to either us or our parents) and friends, though, so it was people we'd see frequently enough that they could just ask in person if there were any questions--might have had a different plan w/a bigger guest list.
  • We have one because our photographer made it for us, so we just had to fill in the text.  I thought it was neat, but NO ONE HAS LOOKED AT IT!  Makes me kind of sad since i put the time into it. 

I woudl say this:  if you have time and watn to do it, go ahead!  If you don't, don't worry about it.  Unless people suddenly start looking at it like a few weeks before the wedding, at this point it kind of seemed like a waste of time to me.
  • we did. H is a computer guy, and does some website design. he built ours from scratch. I know people used it because we gave an option for online RSVPs on it, and lots of people RSVPd online through the website. I included the information for hotel blocks, places to eat, and a map and directions to our venue (it didn't have an address to plug into a GPS).

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Wow!  We had 371 views, and only invited about 150 people!  Didn't get many comments about it, or many posts on the guetsbook.  But I do know my FFIL loves it.  He's written on the guest book probably seven times since I sent him the link. 

I wonder what he would be like on Facebook...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8117ab1c-47bc-4697-b731-0f3a63421fb6Post:c8515684-df77-49d0-84b7-07c46f68ede9">Re: Wedding website - poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I enjoyed setting mine up and it was helpful to guests.  I agree that it isn't a must, but it could be a good way to communicate the wedding details.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me.

It was also nice for us to put up "our story" & some pics, mostly because our families don't know each other.
  • No one's going to look at it. Don't waste your time
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards