Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bouquets

Would it be bad manners if my bouquet was fresh flowers and my bridesmaids had silk flowers?

Here's why I ask:

-I'm trying to be cost concious

-I want to have my bouquet preserved, but I can't afford to have all my bridemaids bouquets preserved.
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bouquets

• Options
    Do your bridesmaids really care about having their bouquets preserved? I think it would be nice if you all did the same thing. You could have them each carry a single flower, like a big gerber daisy maybe.

We had a big wedding summit this weekend, and it looks like we are going with button bouquets. I am pretty excited.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    As for your second question, your bridesmaids probably won't want to keep preserved boquets anyway, as sweet as it is to think of it, and would you really want to keep all the flowers? That would be a lot of flower arrangements to have around for the next sixty years.

Now, the first: are nice silk flowers really that much cheaper than small fresh flower arrangements? If it were me, I might just have the bridesmaids carry something non-floral or nothing at all, rather than having them carry something that was clearly "budget"; I'll be interested to see what other people have to say.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just think it would be a little strange. You are in no way obligated to preserve your BMs bouquets... I doubt that they'd want them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

A wedding summit, sarah? ;P

Button bouquets are totally awesome, though. I LOVE buttons! I had to find a way to incorporate them into our wedding thus used vintage buttons with twine on mismatches wine flutes for the ceremony champagne. Yay buttons! 

as for the OP, I think you should just use fresh but smaller bouquets (and not worry about preservation for the BMs). 

• Options
    I'm using all fake. However I really don't think it matters. And I don't think your girls will care much. As long as they all look good.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bouquets-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81914a4b-86a0-4436-8cdf-aac737c170d6Post:8a85ba9e-cc39-4318-94f6-0dd583933107">Re: Bouquets</a>:
    [QUOTE]A wedding summit, sarah? ;P  
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

That's sort of what it felt like. FI came from Milwaukee, his aunt came from Oregon, and I drove up to Jersey through a blizzard and picked up my mom so we could get there. Then we talked about wedding stuff for about five hours. It was kind of intense. The upshot is, I'm in charge of invitations and bouquets, but I pretty much gave FI's aunt (our florist) carte blanche to design the rest of the decorating stuff. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bouquets-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81914a4b-86a0-4436-8cdf-aac737c170d6Post:11860f1f-e605-49ee-997f-136a5587ae89">Re: Bouquets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do your bridesmaids really care about having their bouquets preserved? I think it would be nice if you all did the same thing. You could have them each carry a single flower, like a big gerber daisy maybe. We had a big wedding summit this weekend, and it looks like we are going with button bouquets. I am pretty excited.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Sarah, I found some on Etsy that I LOVE...think we may end up going that route too, and mix in some fresh flowers for the reception...
  • Options
    I would either do all fresh or all fake.  I'll be honest that it would be something I'd notice and it would bug me, even if I wasn't a bride.  Cheap fake flowers look terribly cheap, and the ones that look good cost about the same as inexpensive real flowers.  Talk to your florist and see what kids of options she can come up with for cheap BM bouquets.

I would not consider preserving the BM bouquets.  If I was a BM, I would not want a preserved bouquet kicking around.  I doubt I would even want my preserved bridal bouquet around.  Honestly, they aren't going to care.  There will be pictures.
  • Options
    Ditto CS...I'm currently loving the buttons, but if those don't work out, we're going with carnations. They are ridiculously cheap.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bouquets-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81914a4b-86a0-4436-8cdf-aac737c170d6Post:244311e5-e357-4ebe-8733-a77598a757c6">Re: Bouquets</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bouquets : That's sort of what it felt like. FI came from Milwaukee, his aunt came from Oregon, and I drove up to Jersey through a blizzard and picked up my mom so we could get there. Then we talked about wedding stuff for about five hours. It was kind of intense. The upshot is, I'm in charge of invitations and bouquets, but I pretty much gave FI's aunt (our florist) carte blanche to design the rest of the decorating stuff. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]
    LOL!  My mom and I do this every week.  I guess my FILs want to get in on it too... I've had them in mind!  Maybe we should take our "weekly committee meeting" and have a bigger "summit meeting."

Awesome.

As for OP, I would go all or nothing - either all fake or all real.  Don't worry about preservation for the BMs.  Since the traditional bouquets are 10" wide, mine will be 10" and I'm taking it fo the commitee to have the BMs flowers be 7".
  • Options
    Sarah, I added instructions on button bouquets to my bio, if you need them.
  • Options

Say no to fake.  Sorry, just NMS.  BUT - definitely do not mix fake and real flowers.  Either do non-floral (buttons, feathers, paper, or ribbon flowers) or something less traditional - like parasols.  Or do real flowers, for all of you.  Mixed is not going to look good.  The colors won't match, style, size of flower, etc.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    You can get very inexpensive floral arrangements on a smaller scale.  Look into very simple small bouquets for your bridesmaids.  And you dont need to get the bridesmaids bouquets perserved....
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. The ceremony flowers will be white roses, so I think I will do smaller bouquets. The reception will be rainbow themed with different color carnations. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

I'll add this questions real quick while I'm thinking of it:

Since I want to preserve my bouquet, would a fake bouquet be alright for the throwing the bouquet ceremony? Or should I do a real one for that too? I only have a budget of about $8,000 and my FI is TOTALLY against doing things DIY- he-and I- have been to WAAAAY too many weddings where the DIY jobs were just terrible, and the cost of doing it right isn't much cheaper than having it done professionally.

Anyhoo, I guess I'm babbling here! Thanks again ladies!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards