Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invitation etiquette question

Hello. I am looking for some advice. I have been reviewing invitation wording web sites but can't figure this out. My fiance's father is deceased. His mother remarried when my fiance was 23. We want to include both of their names and my parent's names as all are helping to pay. We also want to use both of my mother in law's married names. And to top it off my father has a suffix. In trying to work this all out I have come up with a number of issues. So, my questions are:
1) If we are using our parent's first names is it okay for the male first name to come before the womans for example: Bill and Susan Westen? Or does it have to be Susan and Bill Westen.
2) If either is fine, would it be okay to have my mother's first name before my father's but to have the groom's step-father's first name before his mother his mother's?
3) If we are using first names instead of the more formal "Mr. and Mrs." is it appropriate to drop my dad's suffix?
Hopefully I haven't given you a headache. If you have any advice I am all ears!
Thanks,
Jessica

Re: Invitation etiquette question

• Options
    I would honestly just use "Together with their parents"  people don't HAVE to be named.
  • Options
    I think it would be better if you put "together with their parents"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I concur.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree with pp, in this case I think together with their parents would be your best option.  
  • Options
    Thank you for the replies. That's tempting. I wish there was a way to include all the names but maybe not...
  • Options
    In your case, you should do what PPs have said. By including everyone, you're actually taking the emphasis off of you and your fiance. It's just too much. They can all be listed in the program any way you want.

Together with their parents
    Bride
    and
    Groom
    request the honor of your presence (or request the pleasure of your company)
    at their marriage
    Day, the date of Month
    Two thousand and ten
    at time
    Place
    City, State
    planning

• Options
    you can put them in the program.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Well, as a guest, which would you prefer to see on an invitation:

Mr. John Smith  and Mrs. Jane Smith-Jones

and

Mr. JimmyJohn Martin, II and Mrs. Sue Martin

ask the pleasure of your company at the marriage of their children

Sally Martin

and

George Smith

blah blah blah

OR

Together with their parents

Sally Martin

and

George Burns

request the pleasure of your

blah blah blah
  • Options
    C'mon, guys. This isn't all that complicated. it sounds like there are only two sets of parents. OP, are you planning on including the deceased dad also? If so, you have to make sure you don't list him as hosting the party, because that would be creepy.

Let's see if I can figure this out. You could do either:

Susan Westen and William Westen, Jr.
    and
    Mary Phillips Penrose and Donald Penrose
    request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their children
    Jessica Rose
    and
    Ethan Michael
    etc.

Or you could do:

Susan Westen and William Westen, Jr.
    request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter
    Jessica Rose
    to
    Ethan Michael Phillips
    son of
    Mary Phillips Penrose and Donald Penrose
    and the late Robert Phillips

But if both sets of parents are hosting, I'd do the first option and leave out the deceased dad.

Or you could go and buy a copy of Emily Post and read it, which is what I did to learn this stuff.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    No, we don't want to include the deceased father. We just want to list is mother's first married name.Hold on...trying to digest the other ideas in the last post. Thanks!
  • Options
    I thought she was wanting to list three other sets of parents or something.  in the original post, it says something like "his mother's mother"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I kink of like that first option. I am going to run in past the parents. Thanks Sarah!

• Options
    No, no. Just two sets of parents and including both of groom's married names. Mother's mother was a typo...sorry. Thanks to all for the help!
  • Options
    Sorry there was another typo in the last one. Not thinking all that straight this morning. But I think you probably know what I meant....
  • Options
    Yeah I like Sarah's first option the best if you want to include all of the names.  I like "together with their parents" as well, we used it, but it's not always the answer.  Many many parents and couples prefer to have the names on the invitation. 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    It's definitely possible.  We had to include 3 sets of parents' names and they refused to let us do "Together with their parents" since they're paying and wanted their names on the invite.  It sounds like you've gotten some great suggestions up there.  
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    Don't separate the lines of parents with an and. It's implied and does not need to be there (Crane's Wedding Blue Book).
    planning

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards