Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Big Brother Big Sister Program. Ideas please?

2»

Re: Big Brother Big Sister Program. Ideas please?

• Options
    A friend of mine is a big brother, and some of his favorites are rock climbing and kayaking.  Maybe even hiking if there are good spots in your area.
  • Options
    I've done Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Louisville and in Philly.  The rules seems like a lot at first, but really, it's not bad at all.  You can do all the activities mentioned.  You can also help her with math.

One of my friends got married two years ago and her Little Sister was a Jr. Bridesmaid.  It's a great thing and so rewarding.  Good for you Kentucky Kate!

I was thinking of getting involved again once the wedding was over.
  • Options
    I have a little sister through BBBS and although it was implied that spending lots of money to do activities wasn't necessary, we didn't have a cap on each outing.  $10 makes it really hard now a day.  We did a lot of baking and decorating cookies, gingerbread houses at Christmas, playing board games, card games, etc.  And if its hard to have her in your home because no one else is allowed, then board games, card games are also fun in the park, pack a picnic.  Take a frisbee, go swing, but splurge once in a while, its so worth it.  Before I moved away, we took my little and her brother to Six Flags, it was so much fun.  I still keep in touch and we're going on 6 years together!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_big-brother-big-sister-program-ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:85c5cce1-e935-4dc4-8480-a3e462fe3790Post:2d769325-d39f-4169-9be5-8e170016e639">Big Brother Big Sister Program. Ideas please?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone ever done this or had any experience with it?  I just got matched with a ten year old girl whose father is incarcerated and whose mother works full time and wants someone to be a positive influence on her kid. Any suggestions for what I can do with my Little Sister?  There are a lot of rules involved.  She can only be around me, no other friends or family members, because I'm the only one they've background checked, and I am not supposed to spend more than $10 on her per outing.  Going to movies must be limited and only if the child asks to go see a particular movie, because I wouldn't be spending time talking to her.  I am going to take her bowling for our first outing, but I am going to be spending a lot of time with her this summer, and was hoping for a few ideas.  Thanks!
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

My FSIL is a Big Sister.  She has her little sis come over to bake cookies, they go to movies, the pool, the lake, walk around the neigborhood and talk, that kind of thing.

I'm a guardian ad litem / court appointed special advocate for children, which is very similar to Big Brothers/Big Sisters program.  I recommend asking the child point blank what he or she likes to do while you are getting to know him/her at your first meeting.  I usually get responses like reading, playing board games, drawing. 

When I've been stumped for things to do, I've taken kids to Chuck E Cheese, to play basketball, a nice scenic park downtown, etc.  Good luck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_big-brother-big-sister-program-ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:85c5cce1-e935-4dc4-8480-a3e462fe3790Post:b681f8ae-aa25-47a8-86b9-c51882e549c6">Re: Big Brother Big Sister Program. Ideas please?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about geocaching?  Just a thought.  It's something fun to do outdoors, and finding those little treasures as a team could be really rewarding.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

<div>I was going to suggest geocaching as well.  It seems like it would be a great activity for her, especially since she loves being outdoors.  Some geocaches are "puzzle caches" and involve solving puzzles in order to get the location coordinates, that could be a fun exercise to get her more comfortable with math.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards