Wedding Etiquette Forum

Overheard in the office:

13»

Re: Overheard in the office:

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:9464f226-cebd-4b4a-a61f-3cee30a80a50">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]273 US cities over 100,000 people: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population</a> Charlotte is #18.  Louisville #30, and Atlanta #33. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]
    Dayton is #152.  Yay!
  • I will be the first to admit I probably don't know where half of the cities in the US are, let alone in Canada.  It doesn't make me stupid though, it just means I'm not good at geography. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:6537e266-935a-43bc-a290-363151d8b9bc">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : I don't think that's what she was saying at all.
    Posted by TheSaltyPeanut[/QUOTE]

That's actually exactly what she said, hence her clarifying it. She just didn't say what she was going for the first time 'round.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:aea4801e-b4b4-4b29-b47a-afed92e7e847">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : It has nothing to do with being "attached", it's that they are all countries located in The Americas. North America (Canada, US, Mexico), Central America and South America. All American. American =/= US Citizen.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

That's not what my son was trying to say. He was thinking American means US citizen. Thats what I was trying to get across.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:c4154272-17fb-46b9-aa76-38dd3c416ffd">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I knew that Charlotte had the university so I assumed it was larger, more like a population of 100,000 larger and to me that's "small".  I stand corrected, as someone said the population is 600,000+.  To the newb: I grew up 3 hours away from Jasper and we would go as much as we could.  I just spent a day and night there this past summer.  Jasper's beautiful, just too far away. ETA: when i say "the" university i mean the university of NC.
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

North Carolina has 16 public Universities.  The one commonly considered the "university of NC" or "UNC" is in Chapel Hill, not Charlotte.

ETA: Charlotte is home to UNC-Charlotte
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:c3e67856-749c-4767-901a-28d7b8afaa9c">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : That's not what my son was trying to say. He was thinking American means US citizen. Thats what I was trying to get across.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

Ok, but what you said was:

<em> ...he thought because Canada is attached they are <strong>Americans.</strong> I said NO. Does that mean Mexicans<strong> </strong>are<strong> Americans</strong> too because they're attached...</em>

Thank you for clarifying.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Guys. Fargo is north. Just go that way. You'll find me.

ALSO? The whole STATE of ND has less that 600,000 people. So THERE.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • My FI is from West Virginia. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many people don't realize it's a state. They're like, "where in Virginia is that?"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My FI actually though New England was a state! No joke!
  • This thread could have been really fun. 
  • OMG, I'm sorry I said it.
  • Hah! No worries, P2. Most threads go on a tangent at some point...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FWIW, I thought yours was funny, P2.  And I'm American!  ;)

• Ok seriously, if any of the Americans on this board had made a sweeping generalization about Canadians like that all you Canadians would have flipped out.  You're all a bunch of hippocrates.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ::Points at betrothed eyes, points at own eyes::

• I told a co-worker one time I was going back to England and would go into London.  He asked what language was spoken in London. I just stared at him until the penny dropped. 
  • "Is Iran a part of France?"

- from my best friend's honors History class in high school.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Reading a Chinese menu,

"What is a pint and a quart you know I don't know these Chinese measurements?"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    My SIL is Egyptian, and my brother met her while living in Cairo for 2 years on a Navy scholarship to learn Arabic.  People ask me all the time if my brother and sister-in-law speak Egyptian.  Adult, educated people.  Accountants and bank managers even.

Another time a friend asked me if Mount Rushmore was natural or man-made, but this bittch says stupid crap all the time, so it didn't surprise me.  She recently got in a fight with her husband and described it as "world war 2".
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:f00c1bce-a8ce-4acf-9671-5c8559caa89c">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guys. Fargo is north. Just go that way. You'll find me. ALSO? The whole STATE of ND has less that 600,000 people. So THERE.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

There are <span>930,813 people in the county where I grew up in Maryland. My family from Wyoming (less than 600k) FREAK OUT when they come here. Too crowded for them!

</span>
    planning

• ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Betrothed, I love you.
  • edited February 2010
    I once had a coworker tell this story:

She was having dinner with her kids, and she was trying to convince them that they should eat their carrots because they are good for their eyes.  "But, what is rice good for then, Mom?"  "They make your eyes like this"

You can guess what hand/eye motion she did.  She defended herself by saying that she would rather tell her children something that is wrong than let them know she doesn't know an answer.  When everyone said it was racist, her response was "Its not racist because its true!"

Later, when I told my fiance, she flipped out on me for telling him.  Because he is half Chinese.  I reminded her that it is ok, because its true so he can't possibly be offended.  Then, because I'm a bitch and she is hispanic, I threw in that I would need to eat a lot of beans that weekend so I could help my parents fix up their yard.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:ee2955c5-35bd-4117-bc92-2580d71b1910">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In 5th grade we had to learn a song called "Fifty Nifty" - I know all the fifty states in alphabetical order and for some reason I can still sing that song to this day.  But of course, I'm an American, so I very well should know my states.
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

ME TOO!  Sometimes I sing it to annoy off DH.  It really works!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards