Wedding Etiquette Forum

Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?

I'm assuming that since it's a holiday STDs should go out sooner, but I'm not sure how much sooner. I realize that once STDs go out we're committed to inviting the recipients. I have no problem with that.

EDIT I should have added I'm getting married Labor Day Weekend 2013
Sorry

Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?

• STDs go out 6-9 months in advance.

Invitations 6-8 weeks.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Megan+AdamMegan+Adam member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:0df6ee45-c828-423e-9f6c-34986343d858">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]STDs go out 6-9 months in advance. Invitations 6-8 weeks.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

<div>OK so since people tend to make plans for that weekend maybe I should err closer to 9 months? </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:ac35ce9e-0b1f-4670-9d41-ff3a30d9c894">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out? : OK so since people tend to make plans for that weekend maybe I should err closer to 9 months? 
    Posted by Megan+Adam[/QUOTE]

<div>I would.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're getting married Memorial Day weekend and still stuck with 6 months even though it was a holiday weekend; then again, most people we invited already knew we were getting married then anyway. We got invited to a Labor Day wedding, too, and I think she sent hers out at 4 months. I'd say it depends on how many people you're inviting who might not know the chosen date yet.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OK thanks! :D

We were thinking of sending out STD magnets instead of paper in the hopes that less people lose/toss them. I realize it's still a bit of a crap shoot anyways though. 

This board really has been invaluable to me. I have entirely too many people in my life giving me very varying advice. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:b853e713-3a36-4588-abf8-107b7bec2875">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only advice would be to consider sending them in January as opposed to Decemberish in case people get inundated with Christmas cards and such and don't see it, misplace it, toss it, etc.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I was going to say.  I'd send them in January as soon as the Holiday rush has calmed down.</div>
  • I agree that I think right around mid-January would be best. I'm so focused on the holidays in Nov/Dec/early Jan that I probably wouldn't even be thinking of making plans for Labor Day just yet, and even magnets can still definitely be misplaced.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:19af6fee-8dbe-435b-a57d-2e282c5b963c">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that I think right around mid-January would be best. I'm so focused on the holidays in Nov/Dec/early Jan that I probably wouldn't even be thinking of making plans for Labor Day just yet, and even magnets can still definitely be misplaced.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks to everyone who suggested this timeframe. It's an excellent point. I'll definitely look into sending out STDs around then :)</div>
  • IAWPP.  Send them in January after people are done stressing about the holidays.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I know people normally send STDs at 6-9 months, but I kind of feel like if it's a holiday weekend, you should go closer to a year. Some may disagree with me, but my family usually has standing plans for holiday weekends. For instance, we go camping every Labor Day weekend. I would want to know if not by Labor Day, then shortly thereafter, if plans were going to change for the next year.
  • Congrats on your Labor Day wedding! :) We're getting married THIS labor day weekend and we sent out save the dates (simply cannot write STD haha) about 6 months out, but spread the word about our date ahead of time to close friends & family. It really is plenty of time to make arrangements and if someone can't make it work.... we're probably not that close to them anyway. :)
  • Send them out Mid-January.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:e78ad4b1-8904-4aea-8917-1f54f995d636">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your Labor Day wedding! :) We're getting married THIS labor day weekend and we sent out save the dates (simply cannot write STD haha) about 6 months out, but spread the word about our date ahead of time to close friends & family. <strong>It really is plenty of time to make arrangements and if someone can't make it work.... we're probably not that close to them anyway. :)
    </strong>Posted by Nikki71[/QUOTE]
    That is a terrible attitude. I'm missing my cousin's wedding because I can't get the weekend off. It doesn't mean I don't love him or don't feel close to him. Sometimes things are simply out of that person's control.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_getting-married-labor-day-weekend-how-early-should-stds-go-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b5f1675-4728-4573-a8b0-eb5ba265bf4bPost:e78ad4b1-8904-4aea-8917-1f54f995d636">Re: Getting Married Labor Day Weekend- How early should STDs go out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your Labor Day wedding! :) We're getting married THIS labor day weekend and we sent out save the dates (simply cannot write STD haha) about 6 months out, but spread the word about our date ahead of time to close friends & family. It really is plenty of time to make arrangements and if someone can't make it work.... we're probably not that close to them anyway. :)
    Posted by Nikki71[/QUOTE]

I am also getting married this labor day weekend however I just sent out my save the dates on monday. They were magnets so hopefully people will put them where they will be able to see them all the time! I feel like it is still plenty of time for people to figure out their plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards