Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Location, Location, Location

My fiancee and I live in different cities.  I decided on a location that is almost halfway between both cities, but my mother insists that tradition dictates that we have it in my city.  Is it unfair for me to have the wedding an hour away if the majority of the guests live in my city?

Re: Location, Location, Location

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Who's paying? If you and your FI are, you call the shots. If mom is paying, she gets to have input.

It is "fair" to have your wedding wherever you want (within reason). But if I were driving in for a wedding from an hour away, I'd probably find a hotel room for the night, or not drink and leave early. You may want to make sure that there are plenty of accomodation options for your guests (blocking rooms is wholly optional).
  • Options
    Tradition also dictates your mother has to give your future inlaws a goat. Some traditions suck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_location-location-location-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bd87dd8-f7c9-406e-9e90-c2d370f55aedPost:ae2d54b1-e761-4e48-850f-0bb27e37eb97">Re:Location, Location, Location</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tradition also dictates your mother has to give your future inlaws a goat. Some traditions suck.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL!</div>
  • Options
    This should be your and your FI's decision- alone. 
  • Options
    OK, wait OP - you say your mother wants you to have the wedding in your city. But you also say that the majority of your guests are in your city. How is the wedding then an hour away for the majority of your guests?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_location-location-location-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bd87dd8-f7c9-406e-9e90-c2d370f55aedPost:fd81004d-6e73-4254-af9a-daa109960caf">Re: Location, Location, Location</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, wait OP - you say your mother wants you to have the wedding in your city. But you also say that the majority of your guests are in your city. How is the wedding then an hour away for the majority of your guests?
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

I think she's saying the location she's chosen is a halfway point between her and her fi, which would be an hour away from her city and where most of the guests live.

OP I did that, too. We split the Mass/CT difference but I will say that some of my guests left early due to distance. Either way someone will have to travel, but it may be better if not everyone has to travel. For a two hour drive, I would be looking at a hotel room for the night. If you're a close family member or friend I would definitely do that, otherwise maybe not.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_location-location-location-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bd87dd8-f7c9-406e-9e90-c2d370f55aedPost:fd81004d-6e73-4254-af9a-daa109960caf">Re: Location, Location, Location</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, wait OP - you say your mother wants you to have the wedding in your city. But you also say that the majority of your guests are in your city. How is the wedding then an hour away for the majority of your guests?
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

<div>I think that it would be an hour away for guests if OP goes with her preference and has it in the other city.  OP, if your mom is contributing to the wedding, she does get some say in this.  If you and FI are paying for the wedding, she does not.</div>
  • Options
    I really don't think an hour drive is that big of a deal. It's a little farther for them than your city but it's also closer for your finance's family. Just choosing your location based on tradition seems like a bad call to me as well. Not that it would be a bad idea to have it in your town, maybe there are other reasons for doing so, but I wouldn't want to do it just because tradition dictates things a certain way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards