Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

good price to pay for a sample?

I found the dress I love in a sample, in my size, and was wondering if anyone knows how much of a discount is reasonable enough to take? They offered me half-off, and there are no stains or tears.

Just curious if you think that's a good price reduction for a sample...

Re: good price to pay for a sample?

• Options
    50% off if it is clean and in good shape is a steal.  Go for it.
  • Options
    It probably depends on the designer.  Half sounds good to me.  I tried on a Vera Wang dress that was originally $6,000 and they were only going to knock off $1000 for the sample. 
  • Options
    I paid half-off for a discontinued dress in my size, off the rack. 50% is very good discount, in my opinion. Be sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb, though.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-price-pay-sample?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8d5f7179-cf89-4710-806a-b670b6f55b76Post:c50678ab-749d-49fe-8afb-930afce411ee">Re: good price to pay for a sample?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the designer we're talking about here.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

This.

I almost bought the sample of my dress---but it only would have saved me 10%--which, to me, wasn't enough to sway me from buying a brand-new, never-sweated-in-before dress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    evabeeevabee member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Yes! I'm so excited. I feel horrible though, because I really want the commission to go to the woman that helped me at a different store, she actually picked out the dress, convinced me to try it on, was so sweet... But it's about a $300 difference between her lowest price for the sample and the other store.

Would it be completely ridiculous to write her a thank you card or should I just put down the stationary and back away slowly?

Edit: Designer is Jacquelin Exclusive... I don't know anything about her but yes.
  • Options
    50% is great, if there's no damage whatsoever. Look especially closely at beading, which can be difficult to repair. I got my dress 80% off, but had to use pliers to reattach crystals that had come off. Taking pliers to your wedding dress = nerve-wracking
  • Options
    My dress was originally $1400, and I paid about 600 for it.  Not including the hem and bustle.
  • Options
    If it were me. . . I'd want the seamstress to look at it before you bought it.  Can you return it if she says it's not do-able, or bring someone to the store with you?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-price-pay-sample?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8d5f7179-cf89-4710-806a-b670b6f55b76Post:94e24ab6-05e9-4cd4-bfc0-04f198c429c8">Re: good price to pay for a sample?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it were me. . . I'd want the seamstress to look at it before you bought it.  Can you return it if she says it's not do-able, or bring someone to the store with you?
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm confused. What needs to be deemed do-able by the seamstress? The dress fits, it's my size. It has no beading or snags in the lace (that I or my MOH could find when we looked). Am I forgetting something really important? I am budgeting $180 for hem and bustle...</div>
  • Options
    I think since it has no beading, and you have carefully inspected it, that half off is a good deal for a sample dress.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like a great deal Eva, if you really love it go for it.
    ETA: we're both in Ohio,and my seamstress for hem and french bustle was 125.00.Let us know which way you go.
  • Options
    I want to see a picture! :)

But half-off sounds like a good deal. I'd be much more comfortable buying a dress without beading in this case, so it sounds pretty good.
  • Options
    In regards in sending sales woman a note: I think that would be lovely. I'm sure they see plenty of Bridezillas. I wouldn't mention that you bought the dress elsewhere, just that you were impressed with how helpful and sweet she was.
  • Options
    Btw eva, I feel like we have a lot in common :) I felt horrible after I bought my dress from a different store than the one where I first found the dress. However, I was able to avoid sales tax, which is 10% here... Ouch. I sent a note, and it was much appreciated. Never hurts!
  • Options
    If there's no beading, etc., and you're positive it doesn't require any repairs - then probably you don't need her inspection.  But keep in mind that samples get stretched out, the boning may need attention, etc.  So it might need repairs that aren't visible.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards