Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

WR - Am I overreacting?

FI and I are getting married in the town we live in - it will be the first time most of our friends and family have been here, and most will be flying in. We really want the weekend to be easy and fun for our guests, and will be providing transportation between our recommended hotels and the ceremony/reception venue so people won't have to drive.

FI informed me last night that he also plans to rent vans and pick people up from the airport and shuttle them to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner so they don't have to rent cars. I think this is a horrible idea - the coordination involved will drive me batty, and you can bet I'm going to be the one tracking flights, making sure everyone has a ride, etc. I think people will expect to rent cars, and they will figure out how to get to and from the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner - they are both close to the hotels, and we'll leave directions and cab numbers in welcome bags.

This has actually cause our first big wedding-related fight. I think we're being very accomdating as it is, we don't need to hold our guests hand the entire weekend. He thinks we need to provide all transportation for them (FYI, there will be upwards of 120 out of town guests). Am I overreacting? Should we try to coordinate all of their transportation? Have any of you done so, and have any suggestions rather than FI driving people back and forth? I mean, he's nuts for thinking this will work, right?

Re: WR - Am I overreacting?

• Options
    Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2010
    Well, if you're going to provide transportation to the ceremony then their rental cars are a waste of their money for that day.  I personally wouldn't provide any transportation at all but that's me.

ETA: I agree with you about the logisitical nightmare. That's why I jsut would skip all transportation.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    For that many people, it's crazy to think that it's possible to coordinate that many rides.

They can rent cars, probably expect to. Most people are able to look up directions online or have GPS. Or both.

planning

• Options
    If you have the funds to do it, it would be a nice thing to do.  My DH picked up all of his family members that flew in on the Thursday before our Saturday wedding and arranged to get them rides back to the airport.  It wasn't a big deal, but there were only about 20 people flying.  Flying in and getting the hotel was expensive.  We didn't want them to add an unnecessary rental car on top of that. 

Most of the hotels we looked at offered an airport shuttle.  In your case, I think that would be the best option. 
  • Options
    i think your fiance is half right... if they are all in the same hotel (and if it's in your budget), i would provide transportation to the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and back to the hotel.  however, i think everyone can get themselves from the airport to their hotels. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • Options

Look into hotels that have a shuttle and advertise/promote that idea to your FI and guests.  Word of mouth, "There is a hotel shuttle to and from the airport and we will provide transportation on the wedding night- to and from the hotel to the wedding venue".  Is your wedding at one place or separate places? 

Guests do appreciate the transportation at the end of the night when people have been drinking and they have a safe ride back to the hotel.  Just work things out with the hotel.  We had more than 3/4 of the rooms blocked at a hotel and they were more than willing to help us out in any way. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You're right in that it is a logistical nightmare for that many people.

I think they should all rent cars, personally.

One of the PPs was right, if they're getting a ride to the ceremony/reception...why rent a car, they barely have to use it so why spend money on it? Unless they are there for a three, four, five days you know? You're right, you don't need to hold their hands, but I wouldn't even get them to the event. They can do it themselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Again, I may be in the minority here... but if I flew in to wherever and then had to wait while other flights were coming in so that we could all be driven to the hotel together (and other flights may be late), etc... I'd be a smidge annoyed.  I can handle renting my own car and getting somewhere.

If your fiance feels that strongly about it, then I say let him handle all of it.  I'd get an ulcer from having to track that many people, get them cooridinated quickly enough without someone being aggravated about being at the airport too long, getting them to the hotel and perhaps hanging out with my family that was already there for, ya know, my wedding.  I'm assuming we're all adults here and adults know how to get from an airport to a hotel. 
  • Options
    I think that guests plan on finding their own rental car to get to where they are going or else, like my family from out of state they are getting flights to come in around the same times so they can rent a van at the airport and get to and from the hotel or where ever they want to go while they are in town.  But it isn't something We need to worry about.  We have enough things to think about let alone how every guest is going to get to there.
  • Options
    Kira - you really should take your first and last name and your city outta your sig.  I guarantee you you're being googled as I type.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Logistically that would be an absolute nightmare. And I'm not even sure it would be physicallly possible for the two of you to pick up 120 guests in a one or two-day time period without making people wait, driving constantly back and forth, and generally exhausting yourselves. Bad bad bad idea.
  • Options
    I have to agree that what he proposes is nice, but a logistical nightmare.

And Ditto that if I were to fly into a city, I'd want to get to my hotel or where I was going asap.  Waiting in an airport is the suck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards