Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting B-listers

My weddings in about 2 weeks. Is it too late to invite B list people, and if not does anyone have suggestions on how to invite them tactfully?

Re: Inviting B-listers

• Options
    Don't B-list people. It's rude and tacky and at this point looks even more like a huge effing gift-grab. Just be happy with the people you invited in the first place.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    I agree with pp. it's much too late now and it is definitely rude. If I were invited to a wedding 2 weeks before, I wouldn't show up. Unless it was something the bride discussed with me before. Like if she was in a super tight budget and was waiting to see if her moms great aunt would make it to the wedding or not.
  • Options
    Hmm, well, the people I was thinking of inviting were a friend who I wanted to invite, but needed to see how much of my fiancee's huge family declined - and she knows that. The other people are some friends who know the wedding is coming up and they just told me they want to send us a gift anyway....So, it's not like I would be springing it on anyone. But maybe it's still just too awkward...
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    Sounds like you discussed this with your friend already. Your call. As long as they know that they were fill-ins.
  • Options
    Nothing says "I like you more than empty seats, but not more than my great aunt who can't come" like B-listing people.

If you've already discussed this with your friend, then just call her.  It's too late to send out paper invitations.  Anyone who gets invited this late will know they were second-tier to you...
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Don't do it. Its horribly rude. Enjoy the guests you invited originally and accepted. Blisting is like having seat fillers. Its rude.
  • Options
    Contrary to what everyone is saying, I am having a B-list.  I won't be doing it this way, however.  We plan on sending out original invitations at 8 weeks out.  At 4 weeks out we'll send out invites to b-listers for whoever we have as a decline.  The b-listers are my mom's friends who I barely know and may not be able to pick out of a line up but because she's paying for the reception, I'll let her do what she wants.  It'll only make her look bad to her friends so it's nothing off my back.  Once the four week mark has passed, we won't send any more invites out.  To each their own!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-b-listers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:910faac7-70f7-4a1a-8e13-977326b46234Post:6eb5f944-97ab-4d04-950e-bbbba1bea5ce">Re: Inviting B-listers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Contrary to what everyone is saying, I am having a B-list.  I won't be doing it this way, however.  We plan on sending out original invitations at 8 weeks out.  At 4 weeks out we'll send out invites to b-listers for whoever we have as a decline.  The b-listers are my mom's friends who I barely know and may not be able to pick out of a line up but because she's paying for the reception, I'll let her do what she wants.  It'll only make her look bad to her friends so it's nothing off my back.  Once the four week mark has passed, we won't send any more invites out.  To each their own!
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

Contrary to your belief that this will only make your mother look bad, you AND your mom will look bad.   

B-listing is rude. Invite everyone you want to invite in the first place and if people decline, so be it.  Having someone attend as a seat filler is rude and is gift grabby.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-b-listers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:910faac7-70f7-4a1a-8e13-977326b46234Post:f02a390d-3e3b-4667-9401-b5809c513e9e">Re: Inviting B-listers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inviting B-listers : Contrary to your belief that this will only make your mother look bad, you AND your mom will look bad.    B-listing is rude. Invite everyone you want to invite in the first place and if people decline, so be it.  Having someone attend as a seat filler is rude and is gift grabby.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I *AM* inviting those who I want in the first place.  Like I said -- to each their own.  

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-b-listers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:910faac7-70f7-4a1a-8e13-977326b46234Post:60bb5434-fe37-4cfd-9f2b-8f12aeeb8d98">Re: Inviting B-listers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inviting B-listers : I *AM* inviting those who I want in the first place.  Like I said -- to each their own.  
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

yes, to each their own, except this is an etiquette board. And B-listing is rude and very firmly against all proper etiquette.  So, giving out really bad and rude etiquette advice on an etiquette forum, is not really "to each their own". 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-b-listers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:910faac7-70f7-4a1a-8e13-977326b46234Post:6b2b2045-764f-4a70-95db-9368e62308f2">Re: Inviting B-listers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inviting B-listers : yes, to each their own, except this is an etiquette board. And B-listing is rude and very firmly against all proper etiquette.  So, giving out really bad and rude etiquette advice on an etiquette forum, is not really "to each their own". 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.

Also, how anyone can possibly think 'to each thier own" or 'do watcha want" is a correct approach in the etiquette sense, I have no idea.  Etiquette is about being kind to OTHER PEOPLE, no you and what you want.  It makes zero sense to be all 'me me me me' when making an etiquette decision.  The entire point is 'them them them'.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards