Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal Dinner - who to invite?

As far as who is invted to the rehearsal dinner, I know the WP is invited. 
Are spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends of your WP invited along with them, as well? 
What about grandparents?  Are they supposed to be there? 
We are having 2 ushers, are they invited?
Anyone else who should specifically be invited or not so much? 

Thanks.

Re: Rehearsal Dinner - who to invite?

• zizibetzizibet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You should the invite the WP and spouses SOs. If the ushers are going to be at the rehearsal then I would include them as well. It's courteous to invite your officiant as well. As for grandparents, it would be nice but isn't really necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Anyone who was part of your rehearsal (WP, Ushers who made it, readers, officiants, family members who practice processing) should be invited to the RD.

Immediate family is always traditionaly on the guest list (so siblings that aren't in the wedding, for example) as well as grandparents.

Anyone you invite must also be invited with their SO.

Some people also invite out of town guests, but that's your choice.
  • we invited the wp and thier significant others and then the immediate family, and the grandparents (even though they won't be at the rehersal).  to save on costs, we dind't include the ushers or the greeters.  hopefully that's ok to do :|
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 223 invited
    image 139 are ready to party!
    image 87 have better things to do
    image 4 cannot find the mailbox

RSVP Date: July 20
  • We invited our wp (bm and MOH) along with their SO's.  Also, immediate family not involved in the wedding, along with their SO's and our JOP.  
  • I think it's fine not to invite ushers to the RD... but only if you didn't ask them to come to the rehearsal. If they come to the rehearsal, sit through it, practice walking with mothers they'll be ushing, etc... and then you don't feed them that's bad.

But since their part is small, if you don't mind the ushers not rehearsing, I think it's ok not to invite them?
  • Thank you all :)
  • We are inviting our WP, SOs, family members, as well as a ton of OOT guests.  My FMIL is hosting and insistant that we include OOT people, even though that is an automatic 35+ people from my side since they are all from half way across the country.  However, I have not included some of our OOT friends in that count.

It depends on who is hosting though.  I think you've got a good list.

• hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-who-to-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:917a7820-e713-4c35-a995-fa9ff939fc12Post:d04e2baf-a89f-4cac-93ca-2a3b6d2a4809">Re: Rehearsal Dinner - who to invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are inviting our WP, SOs, family members, as well as a ton of OOT guests.  My FMIL is hosting and insistant that we include OOT people, even though that is an automatic 35+ people from my side since they are all from half way across the country.  However, I have not included some of our OOT friends in that count. It depends on who is hosting though.  I think you've got a good list.
    Posted by lwoehlk[/QUOTE]

<div>I think our rehearsal dinners are basically identical :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Yep, we're doing all the OOT family also - that is bringing our rehearsal dinner numbers up to around 100 people.  I'd prefer for it to just be the wedding party, but the ILs are hosting, and they see this as their moment to shine, so whatever - it's going to be like a practice reception.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is no stead fast rule. Some people do just wedding party and those immediately involved in the ceremony itself yet other people invite all family, wedding party and out of town guests. I think it boils down to what you feel comfortable with and what your budget will allow. Check out this site for some awesome rehearal dinner etiquette tips!
    http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/rehearsal-dinner-etiquette.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards