Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Menu Options - Long & Drool-worthy

I just heard back from the new chef at our venue on options for the menu, and I'm in love with the suggestions he put together.  The hor d'oeurves will have several choices - not sure how many, one entree each of chicken, beef, and veg, and then one or two late night snack options.  I would love to hear thoughts - so, tell me what you'd eat off this menu, and what you'd never touch with a ten foot pole.

Hors d’Oeuvres-
Relish and Crudite (with French Onion and Ranch dips)
Fruit and Cheese Display
Chicken Salad Canapés
Mini Country Ham Biscuits
Mini Hot Browns

Salad-
Mixed Green Salad with Choice of Dressing (Buttermilk, French, Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette- Placed on Table)

Beef-
Petit (6 oz) Filet Mignon With Portobello Mushroom Demi-Glace
Beef Medallions with Sauteed Mushrooms and Cabernet Sauce
Grilled 10oz Sirloin with Bourbon-Mushroom Sauce

Chicken-
Sauteed Chicken Breast Marsala
Grilled Chicken Breast With Pesto Cream Sauce
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast with Sundried Tomato Cream Sauce

Vegetarian-              
Eggplant Parmesan
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom with Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce (or Balsamic Reduction)
Fettuccini Pasta in Sundried Tomato Cream Sauce with Caramelized Onions and Grilled Portobello Mushrooms 

Late-Night-
Funnel Cake Fries & Savory French Fries with Assorted Dipping Sauces
Beef, Grilled Chicken, Pulled Pork BBQ Sliders
Chicken Tenders
Taco Bar-Beef and Chicken, Lettuce, Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole, Onions, Cheese, Beans, ect

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Menu Options - Long & Drool-worthy

• Options
    Sounds good! Personally, and its just my ignorance, I would touch the Relish and Crudite because all I read was Relish and Crud. Otherwise it sounds really good.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Wow, it all sounds good to me.  Your late night menu is pretty much what I would eat all day every day if I didn't have to worry about calories :)

I would definitely want the Petit Fliet for dinner, as I always go for steak at weddings.  Do you get to do a tasting or do you have to decide what options to offer based on description?
  • Options
    I am no help because I want every single thing on this menu. Seriously. It all sounds way too wonderful.

I am partial to the chicken salad canapes, parmesan crusted chicken, beef medallions, and stuffed bellas.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I would not touch relish and crudite with a ten foot pole.

The rest... can I eat it now?  Yum.
  • Options
    I would eat every single thing on there.  This is not helpful :)

And Leah, crudite is raw vegetables.
  • Options
    Well since all the beef options are made with mushrooms and a wine/bourbon sauce, I wouldn't have Chicken Marsala as an option because that's just chicken with a mushroom/wine sauce.  I'd pick one of the beef options and the chicken with pesto cream sauce.  I'm assuming you're going to offer one of each, or a choice between beef and chicken?

For the late night, I'd definitely do the funnel cake fries and savory fries.  Yum!  I wouldn't do a taco bar though.  Too messy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sounds great.

I do find it funny people would not touch the crudite.   I didn't know so many people disliked raw veggies.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Relish platters and crudite are just cut up veggies plus olives, marinated peppers and things. It's not that foreign, people!
  • Options
    The only thing I don't like is that every beef option involves mushrooms and I love beef, but hate mushrooms.  I doubt you'd have too many people as picky, though :)  The idea of funnel cake fries makes me want to cry with happiness.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stuffed Portobello Mushroom with Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce (or Balsamic Reduction)
    Fettuccini Pasta in Sundried Tomato Cream Sauce with Caramelized Onions and Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

I would pick one of those, for sure.

What are hot browns?

Your late night snack sounds AMAZING. Tacos AND funnel cake fries? You'd have to wheel me away! I think you should do both! (Although fries and sliders might go together well.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ohh, raw veggies, I'm all for that. But if you just had me read what it was and not being able to see it, I would say no thank you.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options

We can do a tasting.  I think we'll probably eliminate at least one chicken, beef & veg option before that, though.  It's just a lot to taste. 

I'm in love with the hor d'oeurves.  All of 'em.  I'm waiting to hear how pricey the mini hot browns are, though.  I'm thinking we may have to cut one of the last three, for price, so we'll see.

I love chicken marsala, but I'm probably eating the beef, so I'll let FI pick that one.

For the beef, I think the filet or the sirloin, probably.  (I requested options with mushrooms.)

And the veg - OMG, the stuffed mushroom makes me happy. 

The snack. . . I'm also concerned about price here (although, we have the price set already, so. . . ).  I so want the funnel cake fries!  But the sliders and taco bar sound pretty awesome too.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Oops.. it's the word (and flavor) of relish that I didn't like.  Not the raw veggies.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_menu-options-long-drool-worthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:939dd82c-df4b-4aa0-ae18-7a81604c2aadPost:fb17da5a-7782-4a46-85d5-bb5385be7fca">Re: Menu Options - Long & Drool-worthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]sounds great. I do find it funny people would not touch the crudite.   I didn't know so many people disliked raw veggies.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

I know! Raw vegetables are one of my favorite things. And cheese too? Yum.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Mery, hot browns are a Kentucky thing.  Toast on the bottom, then turkey and/or country ham, mornay sauce (white cheese sauce, but with mozz, not parm), topped with shredded cheddar cheese & bacon.  It's broiled and finished with a few diced fresh tomatoes.  Heaven.  A zillion calories, but heaven.

Yeah, Dani, maybe the marsala needs to go for the mushroom & wine sauce reasons.  Can you tell I like mushrooms AND wine? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Oh, and per all the vegetarians on the board who talk about having pasta primavera at weddings, I told him I wasn't interested in that as a choice straight from the beginning.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options

I like the idea of the ham biscuits and hot browns just because they are different.

Filet for sure

The chicken in pesto sounds the best

Stuffed Muchsrooms for sure

mmmmm, tacos!  might not be the cleanest option after hours of drinking and partying, but who cares, the night will be just about over and you're not cleaning up, right?! Wink

• Options

Mini ham biscuits, hot browns, funnel cake fries... I'm dying, that sounds so freaking delicious.

Only thing I wouldn't eat would be the taco's probably- I don't like to eat  messy hand-held food when I'm dressed up for a wedding.

• Options
    I am in love with the idea of funnel cake fries!  I love funnel cake.
  • Options
    Actually, our wedding is on grass under a tent, so the cleanup part stresses me less.  I love country ham, so I love both options too, Tigger, and a TON of our guests are from OOT, so I want them to get the Kentucky experience. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    I am SO pumped about the food now.  And I want a whole thing of funnel cake fries right now.  (If you've never had them, hit up your closest Max and Erma's.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards