Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is this a bad sign?

I have no motivation to plan any more.  We have our venues, I think I've picked out a dress.  Next on the list is photog, and I know good ones book up fast around here, and we're just over 10  months out.  I keep saying we really need to get started but I feel no sense of urgency or desire to think about these things.  I'm tired of planning, I don't want to wait 10 months, and I just don't care anymore.

But at the same time, I know I'd be disappointed if we don't have our "wedding" the way we've been envisioning it.  Words of wisdom?

Re: Is this a bad sign?

• Options
    Just do it.

That's what I had to tell myself when I wasn't feeling too ambitous.  I found it hard to think about stuff like that when it was so far out still, but if you do it now, you'll avoid stress later.
  • Options
    I booked most of that stuff 3 months out.  The florist was the one that stressed me out the most because I had NO idea how good they were or what they'd build.   It turned out great, but it was stressful too because  of the unknown with that one.

I am kind of glad I did most of the stuff in the last few months though.  Way easier and less time for me to change my mind.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Get it done now and you can relax for almost 10 months, haha :) 
    It really is a good feeling to get things checked off early, much less to worry about.
  • Options
    There is absolutely nothing abnormal about being unmotivated to plan anything. I only just got motivated like 2 weeks ago.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not abnormal. 

Moose, I feel like I'd much prefer doing things 3 months out.  But we're coming up on a year of being engaged (already?!  WHen did this happen?), and because I'm unemployed now, I feel like I should be getting this stuff done or else I'll have wasted plenty of perfectly good planning time. 

My mom might be contributing to this feeling, as she's already asking about centerpieces and where I'm getting my hair done.  For real, Mom?  I told her to run with the centerpieces and don't ask my about my hair until I tell her.
  • Options
    I hope not....mine is 3 months away and I'm just now starting to get into the details and booking some things.  I may be slightly different in that certain things like flowers I really don't care too much about, but still.  I think 10 months is far enough that you could take a little time and not deal with it yet
  • Options
    Aw sorry J&K, I know everything is going to be just gorg though.
    Rely on recs from you local board if you don't feel like digging through google. Not word of mouth, but wedding bios and pics you liked and use their people.

Also, even if you are a little burnt (I was by time it came to book little things like limos, hair, honeymoon and linens) when you actually go and talk to the people that day it does give you a bit of a boost. It is like going to a party when you are really tired from a long week. Once you get there it perks you up a bit.

Best of luck doll. Keep us updated.
  • Options
    I would just get the photog booked now and slack off for awhile more on the rest of the stuff. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-bad-sign?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:946072db-cbd4-41f9-b434-7d38786961a5Post:c140cc63-4fa1-44d1-88cc-ac23cd918d4e">Re: Is this a bad sign?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope not....mine is 3 months away and I'm just now starting to get into the details and booking some things.  I may be slightly different in that certain things like flowers I really don't care too much about, but still.  I think 10 months is far enough that you <strong>could take a little time and not deal with it yet</strong>
    Posted by YaPuppy[/QUOTE]

I've taken almost a year and not dealt with it yet.  Plus, I KNOW I need to get on the photog, since there already isn't much around here within our budget and I want someone good too.  I think that's why I'm having a hard time with the photog, because I care, and I want it to be good, and I know that's going to take some effort.  Effort that I don't have.
  • Options
    Thanks Meg!  I've missed ya!

That sounds like a good idea Julez.  One step at a time, right?
  • Options
    I was engaged 2 years before the wedding.  So, it's not the end of the world. :)

I spent a lot of time "enjoying being engaged."  Which also means "Procrastinating and avoiding."

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I like your attitude Moose.  I like it a lot.
  • Options
    I am so burnt out on wedding planning at this point, I care very little about what's left to do (favors, programs, blah blah) that it's really hard to make myself do it. I still have plenty of time, but we've been engaged long enough that I should've had this done (well the programs were then we changed the date). Now I feel like skipping it all, though I won't,

Just my perspective, from someeone who's been engaged forever and you will feel like that too in 10 months (your engagement will be the same length as mine) so just a heads up how you will probably feel when it starts getting closer.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    But Whit, I already feel that way.  It gets worse?  We're skipping favors and programs for that very reason.  And because they're just not necessary.  Though my BM is very computer designy and wants to do programs and STDS and such, so we might let her have at programs.  I mean, she wants to!  And my mom wants to do centerpieces.  Neither FI nor I care how they look, so sweet!  Hopefully a few more of those projects will get picked up by enthusiastic friends/family ;)  Otherwise we'll just skip them!  (The skippable ones, that is.)
  • Options
    I feel the same way right now too J.  We've got a venue, and a friend from MN is probably going to be our photographer, so no worries there.  I'll plan more in the spring I think.

ps.  If you're interested, I looked at this dude for a photographer when we were doing the wedding in MN, http://www.portergraph.com/. I liked him, full of energy, friendly, prices were pretty good when we talked to him two years ago.  I actually met him via a car forum and if he didn't live so far from St. Cloud I would have hired him.
  • Options
    While I can't relate to the long-engagement woes (by our wedding it will be just about a 13 month engagement total) I can, however, relate to the "Enjoying being engaged" at 10 months out and not going a dang thing besides booking the venues and my dress.

Trust me as things get closer you'll find the time. I procrastinated the most about our photographer but ended up with one that I absolutely love. As cheesy as it sounds it will come together, just don't put added pressure on yourself. That's what moms are for!

• Options
    Oh, Winona is close!  I love his pictures.  He's right around our price range, so thanks!  He's on my list :)  Thanks a lot, Mocha!
  • Options
    Moms are good with pressure, eh Vally?  Love your new picture!  I still can't get my stupid sig to work.  Even with just text.  WTF?
  • Options
    No problem!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-bad-sign?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:946072db-cbd4-41f9-b434-7d38786961a5Post:a3ba26fc-ca34-424e-b0dd-7503155756bc">Re: Is this a bad sign?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Moms are good with pressure, eh Vally?  Love your new picture!  I still can't get my stupid sig to work.  Even with just text.  WTF?
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

You know it ;)

And thanks! Also re: your sig, that's strange! Why don't you put a ticker in it to remind you how you only have 10 months?! Zoinks that's a great idea!
  • Options
    I'm the same way right now. I was all hot and heaving with it for the first month and got most of it done. Now, it's like the biggest chore to even think about wedding stuff. I cringe when people ask me about it because I just don't want to be reminded of how bad I've been procrastinating. I need to kick myself in the ass.
  • Options
    Vally, it would be my luck that I'd put in a ticker and it would be the only thing that would work in my sig.  Just.  My.  Luck.

Cew, come on up to MN and I'll be happy to kick you in the ass.  You know, if you cna't do it yourself.  Maybe while you're up here, you could help me look for photogs...
  • Options
    That sounds like a great idea. We'd be helping eachother out. But I get to pick the shoes for said ass kicking, okay?
  • Options
    I got that way too. Definitely not a bad sign! I sat down and made a list of absolutely everything I could think of left to do, and just started dividing things up by month/week and checked it off as I completed stuff. You may find that you don't need to do anything right now, and you can have fun and focus on the holidays and pick the wedding crap back up in January. Hang in there!
  • Options
    I'm totally at the "I don't even care" stage.  I had to force myself to call the baker a few minutes ago to confirm.  I just want it all done and it's not happening fast enough.
  • Options
    I definitely need to make a list Bec.  I love lists!

I'm glad I'm not along Anna!
  • Options
    I don't have any words of wisdom, but I feel the same way!  We're about 9 months out and we have the venue booked and my dress ordered and a photographer friend lined up and I'm done.  I don't feel really strongly about anything else and I am NOT good with too many choices.  I've changed my mind on colors a few dozen times already.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    3 months engagements is where it's at.

That being said, come on up to Fargo. We'll hang out and do wedding shiit. I can't promise quality, but it will be fun.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Dude, ND wants me back.  My friends up there are bugging me to come visit, UND wants me to come get more signatures (fat chance), and you wouldn't mind a visit.  I'm telling you.  One of these days I'm going to get a job and have income again, and then I'm going to come tear up ND.  It won't know what hit it. 
  • Options
    JK, let her do them if she wants to do them :) The stuff isn't hard, I'm just lazy.

Programs I just need to press the order button on VistaPrint (4 times, haha, to get them free).

Favors just need to be bought and assembled, but it's fortune cookies (random, I know), so I can't do it sooner than 3 weeks prior.

There's a few other random crap to buy (cake topper, garter, ring dish) that I'm too broke to do.

Any donations? :D
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards