North Carolina
Options

Thanksgiving Bingo

FMIL and FFIL have been driving us a little battier than usual lately, which is going to make Thanksgiving at our house interesting, to say the least.

I was reading this article in NY Times-

"Betsy said her cousin also complained of holiday meal tension with her own family, so the two devised a strategy to help each other cope. Each made bingo cards, but instead of numbers, the squares were filled in with some of the negative phrases they expected to hear during the meal, like “That outfit is interesting” or “Your children won’t sit still.” As comments were made at the separate family celebrations, each woman would mark her card."

Who's in? :-P
-- C
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thanksgiving Bingo

• Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Forgot the last part- then, when one got bingo, she would sneak off and call the other. I'm so amused by this.
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's hilarious!!  I don't know that I will be able to predict what phrases might be said since my FMIL is usually benign, but I'm sure we'll hear something!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did think of a few that I'm sure I'll hear:
        You're having another glass of wine?
        Can you make your dog shut up?
        How are the wedding plans coming??? 

I know that people mean well when they ask about wedding plans, but I swear I'm getting to the point where I just want to give a one word answer so I don't have to talk about it anymore. So my answer will be FINE!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha Britney! We'll definitely be hearing that one about the wine, and "sooo, are you thinking about starting a faaaamily after the weeedding?"

I hear you about the wedding plans- everyone keeps lobbing ridiculous ideas at me to see if I'll snap (FFIL likes to push boundaries.) I swear, if I hear him utter any statements that even start with "what if..." he isn't getting dessert!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    uggh Def when are you having babies?!? UGGGGHhh my response :  NEVER leave me alone (i swear I will say this if people don't stop asking me!!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh I have others. How is your  new job? What do you do at your job?  How do you like DC? blah blah DH's family always asks the same things! so annoying!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    last year FI uncle asked me "what does your shirt say" and FI aunt blurted out "UNCLE stop starring at her boobs".....there were 12 people that totally stopped eating and it got really quiet.....DEAR THANKSGIVING GOD, please don't let anything like that happen to me this year! poor FI mom is still apologizing to me and that just makes it more embarassing!

needless to say i am wearing an XL hoodie sweatshirt this year to dinner!
  • Options
    LVCKLVCK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm....

"Do you all ever hear [insert classic rock band] at karaoke?" (FI's father will proceed to play the song on the guitar)
    "The national health care plan is a bad idea" and other political statements. I leave these alone until they're about education. I work with the neediest of kids in the neediest of locations, so education is a sore subject for me.

I'm not sure if I can come up with enough for a bingo sheet.  FI's mom is adult ADHD, and totally unpredictable, and my FI's SIL is extremely quiet. Guess I'm lucky, though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

So sick of the wedding planning question. Blah blah same ole same ole questions and comments.

From my FI grandmother "Oh I just can't eat meat anymore. I see those cute cow eyes starring at me everytime (Mind you, she just became vegetarian this year) Those hopeless innocent cow eyes starring at me.  Jessie, I can't believe you don't eat seafood. I could eat oysters, flounder, shrimp, fish...all day long."

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think "How's wedding planning going?" is the equivalent to "So how about the weather...". People just don't know what else to say, so they ask a bride about the planning...UGH! It's just like the student equivalent of "How's School?"

I'll definitely hear something about "MORE wine?" and I'm pretty sure I'll also hear something along the lines of "Don't forget you have a wedding dress to fit into."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg katherine!!! i would throw my pie in someones face of they said that to me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ROFL!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_thanksgiving-bingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:0bdb012f-6653-4598-a384-16e53cd3ee49Post:07b3a1ed-43c0-41d4-81eb-174e78d5f7b1">Re: Thanksgiving Bingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]uggh Def when are you having babies?!? UGGGGHhh my response :  NEVER leave me alone (i swear I will say this if people don't stop asking me!!)
    Posted by Pinky09[/QUOTE]

Yes, THIS! I get aggrevated with this question as well, because it's NO ONE'S business but me and DH. FMIL at one point said, serious as a heart attack and very matter-of-factly, "you WILL have children." So Ive decided that the next time someone says when are you having kids or how many or whatever, Im going to be very serious and say actually we're currently trying for 8 or 10, the reality show craze is really catching on, we'd like a piece of it. And when they say oh stop joking, im going to keep INSISTING that im serious. heh heh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_thanksgiving-bingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:0bdb012f-6653-4598-a384-16e53cd3ee49Post:59b9579f-3647-4a4b-b31a-ae241c63e5d9">Re: Thanksgiving Bingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh I have others. How is your  new job? What do you do at your job?  How do you like DC? blah blah DH's family always asks the same things! so annoying!
    Posted by Pinky09[/QUOTE]

This too!! Except I get it from my father. No matter how many times I have explained about my job and what I do, every.single.time I am in his presence he says "So I still dont understand what you do at your job." Drives me INSANE. I do marketing, it's really not that hard to understand.
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG Katherine FMIL started that recently and you're right- totally drives me nuts! We're not even MARRIED yet and we're actually not sure if we even want to have children. If we do, we want to adopt. When FI told her this, FMIL goes "well aren't you going to have any natural children?" So offended. It was the way she said it, like adopting would be "unnatural." I about strangled her.

My dream response is somewhat similar to yours- going for shock value: "Why yes, actually we're having unprotected sex later tonight so we'll let you know how it goes!" I'm pretty sure she would never ask/talk to me at all again.

And if anyone, I mean anyone, says anything about fitting into my wedding dress, the apron is coming off and someone's getting hit with a Turkey, Paula-Deen-Style.

And Midnite- OMG I am so sorry! Hopefully they're elderly so you can blame senility?
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_thanksgiving-bingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:0bdb012f-6653-4598-a384-16e53cd3ee49Post:896fc030-fb95-410d-977f-a066e1cd0b37">Re: Thanksgiving Bingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]And if anyone, I mean anyone, says anything about fitting into my wedding dress, the apron is coming off and someone's getting hit with a Turkey, Paula-Deen-Style. Posted by CJ4578[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!! Paula-Deen Style...I love it. And I love the idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards