Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Does a text invitation count?

Ok....

So I'm originally from the East Coast and have been living in California for 4 years now. I got engaged last month. I told a couple of East Coast friends from high school about the engagement through text message and said "Hope you guys can make it!" One didn't respond, and the other said that it would be hard, but she'd try. Anyway, the list is getting a little tight, and I may need to knock a couple of folks off.  We aren't as close as we were 10 years ago. We don't talk on the phone and we see each other once a year when I go home.  On the other hand, maybe I can over invite a little because many family members won't be able to afford to come out. However, at $120 a person, I'd hate to foot the bill for going overboard.

Would it be rude not to send the formal invitation when I kinda already invited them through text??

Re: Does a text invitation count?

• Options
    Although it was informal, you did already invite them.  If I were your friend, I would be disappointed if you had told me I was invited in a text, and then I never received an invitation.  I would still invite them.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Does a text invitation count?:[QUOTE]Ok....So I'm originally from the East Coast and have been living in California for 4 years now. I got engaged last month. I told a couple of East Coast friends from high school about the engagement through text message and said "Hope you guys can make it!" One didn't respond, and the other said that it would be hard, but she'd try. Anyway, the list is getting a little tight, and I may need to knock a couple of folks off.nbsp; We aren't as close as we were 10 years ago. We don't talk on the phone and we see each other once a year when I go home.nbsp; On the other hand, maybe I can over invite a little because many family members won't be able to afford to come out. However, at 120 a person, I'd hate to foot the bill for going overboard.Would it be rude not to send the formal invitation when I kinda already invited them through text?? Posted by SeleenaJuliet[/QUOTE]

Yes. It would be rude. Send them an invite. You already verbally invited them.
  • Options
    A verbal invite counts.  Don't un-invite them unless you really want to end the friendship.

Also, don't over-invite.   You could have 99 or 100% attendance... and be screwed. 

Try and figure out other ways to cut your expenses down or decrease your guest list. (these boards always have good ideas for that)

To other brides:  let this be a lesson in why you don't invite people until you've completely figured out your budget and the costs of your wedding.

SaveSave
  • Options
    An invitation is an invitation regardless of the method of delivery.  It would be extremely rude to decline.  It's time to explore budget trimming alternatives or a larger venue to accommodate all.
  • Options
    You already invited them. No going back now. Send a formal invite and try to make cuts elsewhere
  • Options
    I'll play devil's advocate...  You don't HAVE to send a formal invitation. You WILL hurt some feelings if they aren't invited, but I highly doubt the friendship would completely end. You know your friend/relationship better than us, so use your best judgement.
  • Options
    Yes, you should still invite them. No, do not over invite. There's a good chance, especially if they are not good friends to you anymore, that will not want to spend a lot of money to fly across the country to go to your wedding. We invited 6 people from California to come to our wedding on the east coast and only 1 attended. But still invite them and have it in your budget to pay for them if they do want to come, because you never know. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies!!

The more the merrier right?? I'm sure the venue will be pleased. hahaha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards