Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Venue Tips?

Hi everyone,

I usually post on my month board, but I figured this was more etiquette related and I know this board is usually busier so I figured I'd ask here.

We secured our venue awhile ago.  We are required to meet a minimum $ amount for food, etc. as they provide the linens, china, food, bar service.  Basically everything.  They automatically add a 20% gratuity on top of our charges.  Our dinner service will be buffet style so no waiters/waitresses will be needed.

So that being said do we still have to give them an additional tip at the end of the night? 
imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venue Tips?

• Options
    Only if you want to and/or they go above and beyond.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ask what the 20% gratuity is for.  Even though you won't have staff serving plated meals, they'll still be overseeing the buffet and busing plates, as well as possibly serving a plated course if you have plated salad or soup and pouring drinks and water.  I would still tip them if they're not going to see any of the 20% gratuity that the venue adds on. 
  • Options
    Oops sorry I accidentally double posted b/c I wanted to add a poll.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9628bfb0-aeb1-4580-afe4-96ad975e3fefPost:85c2e8eb-b956-4466-a506-626b936cefd8">Re: Venue Tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ask what the 20% gratuity is for.  Even though you won't have staff serving plated meals, they'll still be overseeing the buffet and busing plates, as well as possibly serving a plated course if you have plated salad or soup and pouring drinks and water.  I would still tip them if they're not going to see any of the 20% gratuity that the venue adds on. 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point.  Thank you!  I will definitely check and see if that 20% goes to any of the staff that would be doing the things you mentioned above. 
  • Options
    I used to work for a catering co and can tell you that a buffet requires SO much work from the actual staff (which are in fact still waiters/watresses). We got paid a flat fee and didn't see any "tips" unless it was handed to us at the end of the night, or added as additional when the final amount was paid. The staff set up the entire room (unpacking rented items including plates, glassware etc.), clear plates, run food out, and have to clean up everything at the end of the night. It's a lot of work and extra money is always appreciated. =O)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9628bfb0-aeb1-4580-afe4-96ad975e3fefPost:bc5fa7d2-347b-497a-b793-d40e66fb7379">Re: Venue Tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to work for a catering co and can tell you that a buffet requires SO much work from the actual staff (which are in fact still waiters/watresses). We got paid a flat fee and didn't see any "tips" unless it was handed to us at the end of the night, or added as additional when the final amount was paid. The staff set up the entire room (unpacking rented items including plates, glassware etc.), clear plates, run food out, and have to clean up everything at the end of the night. It's a lot of work and extra money is always appreciated. =O)
    Posted by LionyLoo[/QUOTE]

Good to know.  Thank you for that.  See I just assumed that it would be split between everyone working, but that's why it's a good thing I asked.  :)
  • Options
    we had a buffet, but the salad course and the dessert course was still plated and served.  they aslo cleared all dirty plates from tables, served drinks, coffee, etc.
  • Options
    I would personally still tip if you feel you received good service. Like PP's mentioned, a lot more work goes into setting up and tearing down than many of us realize and it's tough work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    If the gratuity is already included I wouldn't tip on top of that. But like a PP said it's nice to ask if the serving staff are going to see any of that.

Maybe it's just my area but 20% seems really high. The standard here is 10-15%.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ask and make sure that the service charge covers staff tips.  If the staff went over and beyond expectations, you can tip over that amount, if you want.
  • Options

Okay thank you everyone for the advice!  Yes I thought 20% was a bit high too, but I that seems to be the norm for the venues we were checking out (and we were not checking out really high class places by any means.  Just nice places.

I will be checking with the venue to see if the waitstaff will be getting a portion of the 20% (and perhaps how much of a portion) and of course if they give great service we will tip them on top of that.

For anyone who has done catering/waitstaff for events like this.  If the waitstaff is not tipped from that 20% what is typically considered a good tip?  Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a girl who when I went to get my hair done for prom in high school didn't know you tip the hairdresser until my friend with me told me so.  :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9628bfb0-aeb1-4580-afe4-96ad975e3fefPost:f95f2757-94e9-45b4-80d8-41d4b5e31f17">Re: Venue Tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay thank you everyone for the advice!  Yes I thought 20% was a bit high too, but I that seems to be the norm for the venues we were checking out (and we were not checking out really high class places by any means.  Just nice places. I will be checking with the venue to see if the waitstaff will be getting a portion of the 20% (and perhaps how much of a portion) and of course if they give great service we will tip them on top of that. For anyone who has done catering/waitstaff for events like this.  If the waitstaff is not tipped from that 20% what is typically considered a good tip?  Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a girl who when I went to get my hair done for prom in high school didn't know you tip the hairdresser until my friend with me told me so.  :)
    Posted by lbow1984[/QUOTE]

It kind of depends on the length of the event, how large it is, and how many staff members are working. I worked a party at someone's house for the Kentucky Derby and there was only 3 of us. They gave us $80 each. Pretty unheard of. Weddings I used to work for one particular event planner (usually at least 300ppl) she would come by and give us all $20 each at the end of the night. Everyone was very appreciative! It definitely isn't a <u>must</u>, since staff do get paid and usually a tip is just considered a nice extra. =O)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9628bfb0-aeb1-4580-afe4-96ad975e3fefPost:5020f060-1f68-494f-9444-7528256966ec">Re: Venue Tips?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue Tips? : It kind of depends on the length of the event, how large it is, and how many staff members are working. I worked a party at someone's house for the Kentucky Derby and there was only 3 of us. They gave us $80 each. Pretty unheard of. Weddings I used to work for one particular event planner (usually at least 300ppl) she would come by and give us all $20 each at the end of the night. Everyone was very appreciative! It definitely isn't a must , since staff do get paid and usually a tip is just considered a nice extra. =O)
    Posted by LionyLoo[/QUOTE]

Okay great!  That sounds reasonable.  We are expecting 80-100 people for our wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards