Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'm pregnant and...

I just saw a commercial for this new show on Discovery Health.  Apparently this girl is homeless and pregnant.  She said she'd rather starve than beg for money, but she's on the street begging for money so that the baby doesn't starve.  Then she has the baby and social services is talking about taking the baby away.  She said if they take away the baby, it will be her hell.

Discuss.

Re: I'm pregnant and...

• Options
    I saw a preview for it, and at one part, the announcer stated, "Homeless and pregnant... how does this happen???"

That's when I changed the channel.  I'm not watching that stupid show.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Discuss? From a child protection point of view, it's very sad, but these babies cannot stay with homeless mothers. My brother worked at a homeless food service, and would have to call our child safety department if he saw any mothers with children. It's sad, but necessary to ensure that the children are safe. 

The sad thing is that the vast majority of these mothers really want to protect their kids, and are doing their best to secure accommodation, but there is nothing available. Often, they've run away from situations of abuse (as is also the case with many homeless teens), and are trying to do the right thing by their kids. So rather than find a home for this family, we remove the children and place them in foster care, waiting until the parents have a suitable place to live... it's rather sad, really. 

And discussion on homelessness: There are many people who are homeless, and most don't want to be there and aren't always homeless, despite the stereotype of the homeless person who 'likes' being homeless and chooses not to have a home. I read an interesting study about this recently, actually. Those who are chronically homeless often have mental health problems/addiction problems which have caused them to be without a place to live to begin with. I just think about how hard it would be to secure a job when you didn't have an address, a place to shower, clean clothes... it would almost seem impossible, and I can understand why people feel overwhelmed, especially when there's so little available in the way of emergency accommodation.

(ok, so that was a discussion with no real point. but you didn't ask for us to have a point!).

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and the fact that the media is exploting this girl who is in this situation and filiming her beg and starve rather than umm, I don't know, maybe paying her or finding her a place to live and some food for her developing child, given that they're about to make money off covering her plight? Disgusting. What sort of a community exploits their vulnerable like that?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-pregnant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:994223ce-393d-4dca-be19-bb9f3167316dPost:d4ab74e0-2fbd-40c2-8d35-8d566366e3db">I'm pregnant and...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just saw a commercial for this new show on Discovery Health.  Apparently this girl is homeless and pregnant.  She said she'd rather starve than beg for money, but she's on the street begging for money so that the baby doesn't starve.  Then she has the baby and social services is talking about taking the baby away.  She said if they take away the baby, it will be her hell. Discuss.
    Posted by navybaby1113[/QUOTE]

This story made me really sad. It bothers me that Discovery Health is making money off this poor woman and baby who have no money of their own. (I realize that this is the nature of things like documentaries, but keep in mind I am the one screaming at the tv when a lion eats an antelope because I want the camera people to step in and do something! I have a hard time with the concept of observing without interfering!) I'm sure this is devastating enough for her without others capitalizing on it and exploiting her. As much as I want this mother to keep her baby, I cannot support knowingly leaving a baby on the streets. It's just too dangerous. Hopefully, she is one day able to get her life together, get her baby back, and provide a comfortable life for them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-pregnant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:994223ce-393d-4dca-be19-bb9f3167316dPost:a270854e-ea75-4970-ad7e-4ba06d13034e">Re: I'm pregnant and...</a>:
    [QUOTE] I just think about how hard it would be to secure a job when you didn't have an address, a place to shower, clean clothes... it would almost seem impossible, and I can understand why people feel overwhelmed, especially when there's so little available in the way of emergency accommodation.   (ok, so that was a discussion with no real point. but you didn't ask for us to have a point!).
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

<div> I agree with your previous statements regarding child safety and mental illness. I used to know a guy who had severe schizophrenia and spent years homeless, until his parents eventually found him and took care of him (18- 25)</div><div>
    </div><div>however, for people who are just in shiitty situations I don't think it's too hard. I also had a friend who went from homeless to a business owner... become a street performer, they usually make at least enough money to get a gym membership, which has showers ($30).. not sure how much p.o. boxes cost but he got one of those too. He got a job soon after. </div>
  • Options
    I agree with others, it makes me wonder, do they put her through that hell and embarassment and then at the end give her a check?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is a subway station in NYC where all the benches are occupied by the homeless.  It is so depressing to wait for the train there and see them sleep on the wooden, cold benches.  Last year the New York Times Magazine had an article on homelessness in NYC. It seems to me like it really is a tough thing for the homeless to go through all the requirements to get some quarters.  I read about this one girl who was addicted to some drugs, and she gave BJs on the streets for $20 to buy food and get more drugs. She once felt that she wanted to own something more than the certificate from the hospital stating that she has no STDs and she went to the city services to get help. They got her cleaned, and somehow got her a room in some house. She smoked a joint on the floor and cried about how quiet it was in that apartmetn and a week later she was back out on the street.

I think what a lot of the services are missing is the understanding that a lot of these people want to have a better life, but after years of living on the street, they just are too weak to change within the required 30 days to stay in the program... It may be easier for younger, talented people, but it definitely is hard for all the older people.

As far as the child case -I agree with people above. I am sorry for the mother who will lose a child, but street is no place for a baby. No baby should be born to a situation where there is unstable or abusive home, not to mention a no home.
  • Options
    I worry about prenatal care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards