Wedding Etiquette Forum

It's FRIDAY

Re: It's FRIDAY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:dab4a550-702e-4a0a-9f47-c38054c771dc">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck loopy! Adamar - Tom Petty puts on a really fun show.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

BMG won out because it's on a weekend.  I'll keep that in mind if he comes back to Tampa though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Vegas GTG just to see Love.  =-D
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Yeah, I'm always a bit behind on these threads, saw that after I posted. But yeah, for future reference, it's a good time. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:0a9bd807-0e30-4a82-80f8-c91fd0875022">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's FRIDAY : Just out of curiosity (cause I do the same thing - give up stuff for Lent but don't go to church) why do you still give stuff up if you don't attend church regularly?  I can't really articulate why I do it - it's just something I do.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Good question.   Tradition, habit?  IDK, I've always given up chocolate milk for lent and I just never stopped.    Lent seems like a good of time as any to give something up. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>DH's best friend gives up drinking from Jan 1 until Super Bowl Sunday.  No real reason other than to prove he can.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:35914f8e-4aed-41c0-8600-015f1e6ca9e2">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE] ("While my Guitar Gently Weeps" is a moving song... dont' judge me!). 
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I frequently find myself humming it for no reason at all.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:c015fca5-bde1-4568-8d00-ddcf4e74c459">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vegas GTG just to see Love.  =-D
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]
    ooh!
  • Morning. 

Sesh, I kind of liked doing peer review/editing in my English classes. It was nice to have some feedback before I actually turned in a paper.

On a related note, I've noticed more English teachers giving students good grades for work that is simply not good enough. People keep passing their classes and moving onto the next one, but they haven't mastered basic writing skills.

My H went back to school this fall. He is not a good writer. I read what he turned in, and there is no way he deserved his A. None. He's very smart, but he has some issues with mechanics that should have been learned in elementary school. 

Thoughts? Have you noticed that, too?
  • I did not like peer editing.  I would edit the crap out of people's papers, and would get basically no feedback on mine.  I might have just been in a class with a bunch of losers though.

• Palms secured.  I know you were all dying to know the outcome of that :)

I haven't noticed anything changing recently, Special, but there are some people I know who graduated college and don't have a basic command of spelling and grammar, and I kind of wonder how that worked out.  I had a friend who was an ENGLISH major (and graduated with me in '05) who didn't know how to spell or use grammar.  It didn't make sense to me.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• Good luck Button!

Adamar the only peer editing that actually worked was when I was in senior thesis class. I seriously learned almost all of my writing skills in my senior year of college.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I get that, Adamar. It was usually an ego boost for me, since the other papers all looked like they had been written by third graders. There were usually a few intelligent people in the class, and I tried to get my paper to them.
  • SIGH OF RELIEF, Bay.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:a3803be3-2102-412e-a73c-6b19cfa8631e">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's FRIDAY : Good question.  <strong> Tradition, habit?  IDK, I've always given up chocolate milk for lent and I just never stopped.    </strong>Lent seems like a good of time as any to give something up.  DH's best friend gives up drinking from Jan 1 until Super Bowl Sunday.  No real reason other than to prove he can.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>Okay - then you sound like you do it for the same reasons I do it.  It always seems silly when people as me and I feel like I don't have a "good enough" reason.  LOL.</div>
  • Special - Having taught MS LA and now being back in elementary, I have to agree that students probably aren't being held to the higher standard as they should be.  Reading and writing go hand in hand and I find that my better readers are also my better writers because they have more examples from which to pull.  I also find that our time in the classroom is very tight and so much daily time for math and reading is being mandated by the state which leaves very little time for extensive instruction in grammar, social studies, and science.  The idea is that they are intertwined through the core reading programs, which they are, but just dipping your toe into the pond isn't enough.  I feel that students need DAILY instruction and skill practice in grammar and with the way things are, it just doesn't happen.  I am a firm believer in old-school drilling for things that need to be quick recall like math facts, states and capitols, etc.  I would love it if we were in school from 7:30/7:45- 3:00 daily.

• H's clients are always telling him he's a good communicator. He thinks that means he's a good writer. I think it means the clients prefer his emails to his coworkers'. At least he attempts to use punctuation and doesn't write like he's texting.
  • I do agree, special. But that's not how it is in my class. I count off for mistakes and don't feel bad about doing so. But the mechanics are only part of the grade, since I use 4 different rubrics. I've noticed that with the peer reviews they don't say much to each other and usually just give compliments, but I think that's partly the format. It's easier to review in person, I think, and be lazy online.

As for Cirque, I've only seen La Nouba, but I've been twice. My dad surprised me with tickets on my 18th birthday, and then I surprised my mom the summer before I left for college since it was her dream to go. We had awesome seats both times.
  • That makes sense, Mrs. B. I've always been a reader, and I've noticed most of the people I know who use terrible grammar don't like to read.

Do kids still diagram sentences? I loved doing that.
  • To be fair, I hated grammar of all kinds (especially diagramming sentences, ha ha), because I feel that if you know how to set up a sentence and write properly, that's good enough.  I never felt the need to have to identify gerunds, you know?  As long as you're writing correctly, I don't really see an issue.

But if your writting lik this in colige, there's a MAJUR problem.  YKWIM?

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• edited March 2012
    I think being a reader definitely made me a better writer. I always hated peer editing though because I'm weird about people reading my papers. I don't think I ever let my H read my master's thesis even though he put up with so much from me while I was writing it. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:b65225fd-2782-40db-b79c-cc2d323e438b">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]That makes sense, Mrs. B. I've always been a reader, and I've noticed most of the people I know who use terrible grammar don't like to read. Do kids still diagram sentences? I loved doing that.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

Not really, although it was in the 6th grade textbook.  Guess whose kids did do it though?  ;-)  I think it helps being able to identify at least the subject and the predicate with the modifiers.  That's about as far as I took it with my kids.

• I think I've only let H read one paper, Anna.  I'm weird about it too.  I also can't practice giving presentations on him.

• RP, I make it well known that I will be selecting stories at random for everyone to review, so if they write something personal, it may be used. I've had some students request specific stories not be used for reviews, and I respect that.

A lot of them though aren't writers (like, math or business majors rathe tahn english) and fully admit to their shortcomings and welcome the feedback.
  • Eye to eye Anna.

I am still working on my grammar. Reading is the only thing that gave me a fighting chance, b/c of all the moving I always seemed to miss the grammar portion of the English classes.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Sesh, I would be fine with that. In some classes we actually had to give a copy of our paper to everyone and I dealt with it. I just never sought out anyone extra to read my stuff. Plus, I was never writing anything personal. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:5aa758f3-8a0b-4f8b-ac08-da9fef242751">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE] I count off for mistakes and don't feel bad about doing so.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I so did that to my sixth graders.  Random capital letters on a spelling test?  Incorrect.  A period instead of a question mark in an interrogative sentence? Incorrect.  No capital letter at the beginning of the sentence?  Big time incorrect.  I was tough on them.

BTW, I don't like peer editing either.  It's encouraged in my first grade curriculum, but I don't do it.  It makes no sense to me to tell kids who are still learning the concept to edit for each other.  I DO encourage them to read their writing outloud to each other so that their partner (or better yet, they themselves) can hear when they've left out words or have incomplete thoughts, but definitely not editing.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-friday-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9c0de0e5-79be-4edc-93a3-c483a39b8559Post:91fc30b5-f681-48b0-9828-2738cc9b29ec">Re: It's FRIDAY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck Button! Adamar the only peer editing that actually worked was when I was in senior thesis class. I seriously learned almost all of my writing skills in my senior year of college.  
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]
    Very much agreed.  I had peer editing in a bunch of my classes and most of the time it was like what Adamar said, I'd edit the crap out of someone's paper but more often then not mine really wouldn't be edited it all.  I loved it in my research sequence when people harshly edited so you know we could actually learn and do it correctly.
  • H had to write a research paper for one of his classes. He asked me to read it and mark any problems. I complied, and I think he was shocked. The content was good, but nearly every sentence had punctuation or grammar problems. He says he wants to improve his writing, but he gets As and Bs on his papers. It just bothers me that some people may not even realize they have a problem, and it's likely keeping them back in life. I just think it's the teacher's job to try to help them (or at least recommend they get help).
  • I was absolutely horrific at spelling in grade school and possibly through middle school. Somewhere in late middle school/early high school I became a lot better at it. I'm very thankful for whatever happened there except now bad spelling/grammar drive me up a wall.

• What some students have said so far that they like about the peer reviews is learning how those who do write well set up their stories. A lot of them have trouble formatting paragraphs and dialogue, and have said it's helpful to use the good stories as a guide. And those who write well are better able to point out what's wrong with other stories.

But for most of the peer reviews, they tend to look for issues with content. Underdeveloped characters, problems with the narrative, weird plot twists, unfinished endings, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards