North Carolina
Options

Whole Wheat or Multi-grain?

I do not eat white bread, pasta or rice.  I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and alternate between whole wheat bread and multi-grain bread.  My question is...what is the difference between the breads and which is better?  Or am I doing the right thing by alternating between them?

Re: Whole Wheat or Multi-grain?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think whole wheat bread is usually better. I could be wrong, but my understanding was that you usually end up with more fiber and less sugar that way. Mutli-grain is still way better than white bread though! I think they are both good for you and it probably depends on the brands, portion sizes, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think either can be good. Just check the nutrition facts and the ingredient listings on them to make sure all the good stuff, fiber, protein are there.
  • Options
    smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha lusher...duh, why didn't I think of that?  The same way you would find out if the other things you're eating are good for you or not, of course :)
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, check the ingredients. I think sometimes the multi-grains can be better because they can sometimes take the whole wheat and mix it with white or take out the best parts.... haha stupid i know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/multi-grain-vs-whole-grain.aspxApparently whole-anything bread is better than multi-anything bread. Thanks for making me curious enough to google this :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that multi-grain is usually a marketing ploy, just as lots of breads that tout themselves as being whole wheat (it is REQUIRED that if the bread is truly whole wheat, that "100% whole wheat" is on the bag... if you dont see this, it's not whole wheat, probably just colored white bread). Multi-grain can just be colored white bread "dressed up" and with some corn and barley thrown in to make you think it's uber healthy. Main thing is, like pp's said, check the labels - look at the sugar content, look at the first ingredient, look at the fiber content per slice... that will give you the whole picture. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    check the ingredients, if its really whole grain or whole wheat it should contain 100% whole wheat flour. If it does, this is way healthier than white. But as pp said, companies can trick you into thinking its really healthy and then it'll say on the ingredients it contains some white flour. HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are buying them from the supermarket, there's a good chance neither of them are particularly healthy.  Most of the whole grain and multigrain breads on the mainstream market contain high fructose corn syrup, fillers, preservatives, and other yucky things.Bread shouldn't have more than about five ingredients in it: flour, water, and yeast, sometimes a sweetener, sometimes eggs, sometimes milk, etc.If you are concerned about your bread, become a religious reader of the labels.  Or start buying your bread from a local baker.  There's lots of yummy bakeries in the area that make fresh, good-for-you breads.  Or best of all start making your own bread.  That's what I've started doing and it's not as difficult as you would imagine :)
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always check the first ingredient..if it says anything bleached and doesn't say whole wheat...it's not whole wheat and like PP's said..colored to look like whole wheat.
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards