Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour

We are having a meeting with our venue right after the holidays, and FI and I are going over some of the small details. One of the things that the venue offers is having a second bar on the patio (both the patio and the ballroom will be open during cocktail hour). There is a set up fee but it's relatively small. Our main concern is that if we have that option available do you think it would up the alcohol consumption much? I guess I'm just concerned about the guests being more likely to leave their unfinished drinks when they go from indoors to outdoors if they know they have a bar available at either location. Am I thinking too much into it? We are having about 125 guests and hosting a full open bar.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour

• Options
    I think most people will keep their drink with them rather than set it down -- at least during the cocktail hour, or when moving from the patio into the ballroom for dinner.

If it's only a small fee, then you might as well go for it.  It will keep lines down.
    DSC_9275
  • Options

I think people will keep their drinks with them.

If it's in your budget I would go ahead and do it. Would also probably help with keeping bar lines down.

• Options
    I agree--people who are congregating on the patio/deck area will appreciate not having to go inside and wait at that bar as opposed to being able to quickly get another drink where they already are.
     That, and I HATE standing in line waiting on drinks. Two bars will alleviate the congestion.
  • Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Ours offered that as well for the whole night for $75 more.  Our deck and ballroom are open for the cocktail hour and reception, so I figured it would cut down on lines and for $75, why not?  I don't think people will drink more just because there is another bar, but it will spread the lines out.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Ours offered that as well for the whole night for $75 more.  Our deck and ballroom are open for the cocktail hour and reception, so I figured it would cut down on lines and for $75, why not?  I don't think people will drink more just because there is another bar, but it will spread the lines out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

OP, I think I've seen you on the NH board.  Where are you getting married?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    I think the convenience of your guests ( I.e. not having to go inside or wait in long lines ) far out weigh the possibility of a few drinks being wasted.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies, I didn't even think about bar lines, that's a good point!! We'll go ahead and have the second bar then. Another question - we also have to decide whether to pay per consumption or just go with a fixed price, any input on that? Our wedding is on a Sunday, so I feel like it'd make more sense just to do per consumption since people are less likely to drink as much as they would have on a weekend. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It won't encourage people to drink more, it will keep lines down. I went to a wedding recently and when I got to the bar line I was like 25-30 deep. Then when I saw the other bar I nearly jumped for joy. After people cycle through once, the lines will stay nice and low with 2 bars.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-opinions-on-a-second-bar-at-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd61344-38fa-4f2e-b463-790ed9e8953ePost:095572ec-8450-408d-8399-95428ea2646b">Re: NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours offered that as well for the whole night for $75 more.  Our deck and ballroom are open for the cocktail hour and reception, so I figured it would cut down on lines and for $75, why not?  I don't think people will drink more just because there is another bar, but it will spread the lines out.<strong> OP, I think I've seen you on the NH board.  Where are you getting married?</strong>
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

Yes, we are getting married in NH, our venue is Brookstone Park in Derry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What the heck, why did it post it twice?  And only part of it twice?  Now I look like a crazy person.

For me, I like the piece of mind of having a fixed price bar.  We budgeted for that at the beginning.  It's hard to budget for a consumption bar, because you have no idea the price.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-opinions-on-a-second-bar-at-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd61344-38fa-4f2e-b463-790ed9e8953ePost:875ac6de-f1d3-4e76-8286-04e64c6c1ec2">Re: NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]What the heck, why did it post it twice?  And only part of it twice?  Now I look like a crazy person. For me, I like the piece of mind of having a fixed price bar.  We budgeted for that at the beginning.  It's hard to budget for a consumption bar, because you have no idea the price.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

We're doing a consumption bar on our venue coordinator's recommendation.  At least for our venue, the flat price bar is based on 3.5 drinks per person, and the only people you get to exclude from headcount are those underage.  We have a few relatives coming who we know don't drink, and quite a few others who do but very rarely have more than 1-2 drinks.  She said it would almost definitely work out to be less money for us to do the consumption.  I believe they are having us pay for 3 drinks per person up front when we pay the rest of the catering fee and everything the week of, but then afterwards we will either get back money for what we didn't drink, or pay the remainder for what we did. 
  • Options
    As a guest, I know I would appreciate the convenience of it, so if you can afford it, I think it would be nice. I would keep my drink with me and not waste it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    As a guest, I tend to take my glass from room to room, so being able to get it filled in multiple locations was a convenience to me.

I would guess that if people want more than one drink, they will get it no matter how many bars there ar, so I don't think it will add too much to your bill if you're paying by the drink.  And they'll appreciate shorter lines, as posted above. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-opinions-on-a-second-bar-at-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9dd61344-38fa-4f2e-b463-790ed9e8953ePost:cd1ee0eb-282c-490f-a3ba-7a6c1476f012">Re: NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NER: opinions on a second bar at the cocktail hour : Yes, we are getting married in NH, our venue is Brookstone Park in Derry.
    Posted by anastassiiat[/QUOTE]

I went to a wedding at Brookstone in August, and she had both the patio and bar available for drinks.  We were thrilled, the lines were so short!  The bartenders wrote down all the drinks that were served, so I think she did it by consumption.  For my own wedding, we also had the patio and ballroom bar available.  As far as I know, my guests appreciated mulitple locations.
    Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards