Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Valentine's Day

Do you and your H celebrate or make a big deal over Valentine's Day?  I can never decide whether to or not or how important it is or not.  My H doesn't care too much and I don't really either, but I know if the day comes and we don't do anything special, I'll feel like we should have.  Just curious what others do or have planned.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Valentine's Day

• Options
    There was a poll about this last night---but we do celebrate. Not over board, but often nice cards, flowers, or dinner out---things that w definitely do not do every day.
  • Options
    We'll probably go to dinner, but we haven't made concrete plans yet. We talked yesterday and decided to skip gifts though.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    We usually just go out to dinner and do something small giftwise. It's not really important though. Usually, we place more importance on anniversaries, birthdays and Christmas.
  • Options
    FI cares more about it than I do.  I actually don't care about the "holiday".
  • Options
    We're going to a movie because we have free passes we received for Christmas.  We don't have a lot of money to spare, so we probably would not be doing anything if we didn't have the passes.  We don't really do gifts, either, just cards.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I think we'll do dinner the night before. But that's about it. Nothing big or over the top.
  • Options
    Sometimes we skip it, sometimes we don't. We don't really make a big deal out of it either.
  • Options
    Lobster dinner. Mmmmmmm.
  • Options
    We don't do anything to celebrate.  Restaurants are overpriced and usually serving some mediocre prix-fixe menu. 
  • Options
    We aren't anti-Valentine's day, but we don't go out of our way to do anything super-special.  We'll probably get each other cards and go out to a slightly nicer dinner than usual.  Nothing huge.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    We at least make mention of the holiday and one of us cooks a nice dinner.  Maybe cards are exchanged, butnot necessary.

This year we are "celebrating" by going to Carnival in Nice, but that's only becuase the timing is right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah I agree Gina, I don't think we'll do gifts.   We usually just do gifts on birthdays and Christmas.
  • Options
    nope.   I think V-day is a dump and stupid 'holiday'.

We both end up working anyway.  It's one of our busiest nights.  It's sooo annoying when all the guests ask what I'm doing for V-day or if I got anything.  If you say you nothing, then they get this "I feel sorry for you face".

The  real reason we think it's dump is we see the other side of the holiday.  We are both working our asses off so people can pay double what they normally would pay for a meal/flowers/etc. just because is  Feb 14.

I much prefer when DH just comes home with  flowers for the hell of it on a random non-special day.  Or when we just randomly have a picnic out of the point to watch the sunset.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Nope.  It's a few days before the anniversary of the death of his little brother, so he's always bummed out that week.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_valentines-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e44ea4e-6096-40dd-a7ed-6ace2b16b06cPost:5fe16938-93fe-4c6b-878a-d4a48020088e">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, as weird as it sounds, it makes me feel better to know that we aren't the only ones that don't make a big fuss over it.  Lynda, I guess my experiences have been like yours, where if people ask what you got or what you did, they give you the sad/disappointed face if you don't have something to say.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

There is an underlying pressure put on people that day.  A lot of people feel the need to do something if for nothing else than have the public persona that they are not a douch bag for not doing anything.

Does that make sense? 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We go out to a certain restaurant every year, but this year we are spending V-day in a theater, watching The Amazing Race premier with my friends who are on it.

We might go out to dinner the night before, because I'd hate to miss my excuse to eat at the really nice restaurant!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We're not doing anything. Last night he told me, I'll probably just buy you flowers. :) I'll take a pass on that though, I don't like how they die soon after.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_valentines-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e44ea4e-6096-40dd-a7ed-6ace2b16b06cPost:95ad89da-2db7-4f33-a1c7-fd936fde048b">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine's Day : There is an underlying pressure put on people that day.  A lot of people feel the need to do something if for nothing else than have the public persona that they are not a douch bag for not doing anything. Does that make sense? 
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Yep, that makes complete sense to me!

Arb - that's sad, I'm sorry for your H.
  • Options
    I refuse to fight crowds or pay a premium just because of a specific date. On the other hand, we take pretty much any opportunity to celebrate and have a nice dinner.

So we usually end up just having a nice dinner at home. Then we buy some really good chocolates the next day at half price. Laughing
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    We pretty much hate it too. An overrated Hallmark generated "holiday".

Last year I cooked us a nice dinner, will likely do the same this year.  We don't do any gifts or anything. FI brings me flowers on random days, and I like that way more. Especially when he brings me like 3 or 4 and has them scattered about the apartment.

When I was singe, my other single friends and I would have an anti-Valentines Valentines Day. We'd all meet for dinner and drinks and have a good time.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    We make a nice meal at home (lobster, steak, jumbo prawns, etc) and just enjoy eachothers company. We dont really do gifts well, because we dont like waiting so technically we have already gotten our "gifts" this year (we bought eachother books last week).
  • Options
    One year, my (male) gay best friend and I decided to out to dinner on a random night to the Olive Garden.  When we left, it was PACKED and we had no idea why.  Turns out it was V Day...haha, everyone probably thought we were on a date since he's not very outwardly gay looking/acting.

H and I don't do much...cards, small gifts.  Maybe dinner.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Both of our birthdays fall right around Valentine's day.  His is right before and mine is right after.  We decided to trade off years for Valentine's.  Whoever is in charge that year has to put something creative together with the cap of spending $30.  This is my year.  I have no idea what I am doing. 

I had a general disdain for Valentine's day because I always felt like my birthday was an after thought. (And one too many boyfriends thinking they could combine the two.  If anything, just forego Valentine's and celebrate MY birthday.  Grrrr.)  DH thought that it was just great because he would get double and get some slack for Valentine's.  I pointed out that women are generally more thoughtful and most men suck.  ;) 
  • Options
    We'll definitely do something, probably a nice dinner in since it's not a great day to go out to restaurants. And a card or a small token gift is fine.

DH and I actually met on Valentine's day 2008 (yes, we moved fast, but we're old so that's my excuse), so that gives it more meaning for us.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_valentines-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e44ea4e-6096-40dd-a7ed-6ace2b16b06cPost:4279e055-11e2-4064-9785-71440cf83f58">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both of our birthdays fall right around Valentine's day.  His is right before and mine is right after.  <strong>We decided to trade off years for Valentine's.  Whoever is in charge that year has to put something creative together</strong> with the cap of spending $30.  This is my year.  I have no idea what I am doing.  I had a general disdain for Valentine's day because I always felt like my birthday was an after thought. (And one too many boyfriends thinking they could combine the two.  If anything, just forego Valentine's and celebrate MY birthday.  Grrrr.)  DH thought that it was just great because he would get double and get some slack for Valentine's.  I pointed out that women are generally more thoughtful and most men suck.  ;) 
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]

That is a really good idea.  I should mention that to my friend who has the same situation and somehow they try to do all 3 and it never works out right. 
  • Options
    FI and I hate V-Day.... greeting card holiday, bleck.  So I'm working for my BM so she can celebrate and FI and I are making our own date night (which we do on a regular basis anyways.)  No gifts just dinner and a movie some other night around that.  :)
  • Options

Actually, we dont go overboard but its typically dinner and a card.
    I dont think we need an occasion to buya gift but I always want a card!

E
  • Options
    It is my b-day too, so we just skip Valentine's Day. We always say we will buy the half priced candy the day after, but then we always forget. lol. This year we will go out for drinks at midnight since I am turning 21. I guess that can be our celebration! lol
  • Options
    We don't do much. Dinner or whatever. I ask for candy hearts because I'm a slight addict......

He usually gets me flowers.

We both hate the day....I hate it less now because we're all in love and happy so it'd be nice to do something fun and cheesy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We love to cook together. This year I am in control of the appetizer and dessert and he will do the main course (so that its a suprise for each of us) then we usually make sure to either give a card or write a love letter (the old fashioned kind and not via text message).

We have a neat food market  that sells unique items that we don't normally buy so we will go there before hand to pick out ingredients. So it still feels like an adventure and its so much cheaper and tastier than most restaurants.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards