Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invitations / Response cards

We're planning a Las Vegas destination wedding in May 2013. How far in advance should I send out the invitations and how much time should I give them to respond? We only have room for 34 people so if someone's not going to be able to make it i want to have enough time to invite my "b list" We live in Hawaii so it's not like people can drive there...they actually have to plan it out, make sure they get a flight and find a hotel. They also have to save money because flights aren't cheap.

What should I do? When should I send out invitations? How long should I give them to respond?

Re: Invitations / Response cards

• Options
    You can send save-the-date cards 6 to 9 months in advance.  This will give your guests information about the wedding, and give them time to make arrangements to take time off work and budget for airfare and travel expenses.  However, people don't generally respond to a save-the-date with a "yes" or "no" -- the information is for your guests' benefit, not yours.  Some may tell you that they can't make it but you should still send them an invitation because their plans may change.

Invitations go out 6-8 weeks in advance, and RSVPs should be back about a week before you need to give your final headcount to your caterer (this will give you time to contact those you haven't heard back from).  

If your venue only holds 34 people, then you should only invite 34 people.  If there are more than 34 people who you want to invite, then you should find a new venue.  "B-Lists" are rude, especially if you are asking people to fly to Hawaii last-minute.   

DSC_9275
  • Options
    Avion nailed it.  No b-lists, no demanding a RSVP from your STD.  
  • Options
    Avion was spot on. If you really want to invite more than 34 people you need to find a different venue. You can send STD's 69 months early. And you will probably hear talk about who is or isn't planning to make the trip but you have to send anyone who gets an STD an invitation. so depending on how confident you are that those people won't change their mind and RSVP yes to the actual invitation you could possibly be okay sending a few extra invitations. But that's a call only you can make knowing your guests.
  • Options
    You should def. send save the date invites well in advance for your destination wedding. I would send the actual invite 3 months before hand, 6-8weeks is for a normal wedding. I chose a date 3 weeks before the wedding for guests to RSVP
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Invitations / Response cards:[QUOTE]You can send savethedate cards 6 to 9 months in advance. nbsp;This will give your guests information about the wedding, and give them time to make arrangements to take time off work and budget for airfare and travel expenses. nbsp;However, people don't generally respond to a savethedate with a "yes" or "no" the information is for your guests' benefit, not yours. nbsp;Some may tell you that they can't make it but you should still send them an invitation because their plans may change.Invitations go out 68 weeks in advance, and RSVPs should be back about a week before you need to give your final headcount to your caterer this will give you time to contact those you haven't heard back from. nbsp;If your venue only holds 34 people, then you should only invite 34 people. nbsp;If there are more than 34 people who you want to invite, then you should find a new venue. nbsp;"BLists" are rude, especially if you are asking people to fly to Hawaii lastminute. nbsp;nbsp; Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Well except they are having the wedding in Vegas not Hawaii. ;
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitations-response-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e9b6c43-37bc-4055-be74-673d20258bacPost:64b022db-8844-4a96-aa93-6df3677535da">Re:Invitations / Response cards</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Invitations / Response cards: Agreed. Well except they <strong>are having the wedding in Vegas not Hawai</strong>i. ;
    Posted by Soon2BSand[/QUOTE]

<div>My bad, reading comprehension FAIL :-)   Vegas isn't as hard to get to last-minute as Hawaii is, but having a B-List would still be rude.</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I like you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards